Well This Feels Real Weird, It's 60F Outside ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
With the recent warm spell in New England, ive had very little wood burning going. Small pellet stove in the basement we put in 2 seasons ago is keeping the house comfortable. I’m been surprised at the heat that thing puts in the house. Honestly I’d like a night in the teens or single digits right now- I like having the wood stove going. 46 degrees in southern CT at the moment. Odd for January.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Here too. The rainy drizzle and mid 40's temps make it worth it to run but easy to over do it. Today was 50 so decided to let the oil burner do its job.

Brand new 850 Ski Doo in the garage with 1.5 miles on it.
Shove this weather.

Ouch, We've had some of the best early season riding I have ever seen, the mountains we ride in are supposed to get another 5ft this week.

I'm running two loads a day, saving wood but would prefer cold and snow in January, plenty of winter left. In 2015 we had bare ground January 20th, by Feb 14th we had 3-5 feet of snow and we were in single digits or below zero almost every night so it's not ovah.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Ouch, We've had some of the best early season riding I have ever seen, the mountains we ride in are supposed to get another 5ft this week.
You suck!!! LOL
It’s still early here. Last year was a spoiler with snow that started in Nov and we rode till mid April.
I’ll get riding soon.

Ride hard and safe!!
Brrraappppppp!

I'm running two loads a day, saving wood but would prefer cold and snow in January, plenty of winter left. In 2015 we had bare ground January 20th, by Feb 14th we had 3-5 feet of snow and we were in single digits or below zero almost every night so it's not ovah.
That’s right, 2015 was a memorably cold winter.

Last evening we broke the all-time record high here for Jan 2nd., 62ºF. The temp went up about 14º after 4pm. Then, after a few hours the temps declined and by morning it was time to light up the stove. Cold now and it's predicted to get colder in a week or so.

Winter is only just getting started, but it still sucks. I wish it would just stay cold. This up and down is messing with my body.

198A7781-F2B2-45D8-B419-412B0C7E6AD9.png

Most of the models say that the polar vortex is strong this year so its going to stay up in the north pole and up in Canada. Its not supposed to stretch down into the US like previous years. That reduces the really super cold weather. There has been plenty of moisture up in my area this year it just hasnt been cold enough to really keep the snowpack. I dont write off the really cold weather until about mid February. I do know its been cloudy as my solar producution has been very low.

AGW puts a ot more energy in the atmosphere so in addition to a general warming trend there is lot more oscilllations in the atmosphere so more dips in the jet stream which leads to less steady weather patterns.

We tied a record hi of 77 on Friday. Back down to 40 this morning. Stepped out that back door with no shoes or shirt to bring us a load for this morning. I’m ready for some colder temps.

Just think how good this warmer weather is to help dry your stacks. 55deg with a dew point of 18 will draw some moisture out. I could actually smell the stacks a bit yesterday. Always look on the bright side of things...…..(sings Monty Python)

After buying many sleds I've decided one thing... They are the worlds best anti-snow insurance policy available. I brought my 2 sleds home from storage this fall. And I bought a new snow blower. Have not touched either!
Ya. This sled is far from my first rodeo. It happens but there’s still a long way to go.
In 98 I bought a 700 SRX and blew the track halfway thru the season up in Fort Kent Maine. Yamaha denied the warranty claim saying it was a low snow year. I said BS!! Explain to me how I rode 3500 miles that year? That was also the year of the huge ice storm that crippled the state. Funny thing was where my house was we got very little ice and dumped on with snow. We went riding in some great conditions.

Ya. This sled is far from my first rodeo. It happens but there’s still a long way to go.
In 98 I bought a 700 SRX and blew the track halfway thru the season up in Fort Kent Maine. Yamaha denied the warranty claim saying it was a low snow year. I said BS!! Explain to me how I rode 3500 miles that year? That was also the year of the huge ice storm that crippled the state. Funny thing was where my house was we got very little ice and dumped on with snow. We went riding in some great conditions.

I hope you do better than the guys around here if you put on that many miles. I don't know of an 850 that has made it past 2800km before grenading. The local dealer has a row of new 850 long blocks ready to replace customers blown up ones.

Kind of liking this thaw were experiencing, well maybe not thaw but extended late fall weather, got 14" of heavy wet snow in the beginning of December, temps have been chilly to pretty much x-mas, so this is nice to me, had to clean up a ton of sticks and make plans to cut up about 10 tree's that fell in the wood lot.
I95's - were suppose to get a few inches of the white stuff Tuesday / Tuesday night, then a good ole fashion rain storm next weekend, I think the pattern will change after that storm.

I hope you do better than the guys around here if you put on that many miles. I don't know of an 850 that has made it past 2800km before grenading. The local dealer has a row of new 850 long blocks ready to replace customers blown up ones.
I hope so as well but we no longer run big miles per year anymore. Most friends left the sport and that group was 300+ miles per day and it didn’t matter how cold it was or you didn’t ride with us.
Nowadays I’m a bit more picky plus much older.
With the 4 year warranty I hope I don’t need it.

Was at a ski race yesterday and we wore raincoats and had umbrellas. This sucks!

Most of the models say that the polar vortex is strong this year so its going to stay up in the north pole and up in Canada. Its not supposed to stretch down into the US like previous years. That reduces the really super cold weather. There has been plenty of moisture up in my area this year it just hasnt been cold enough to really keep the snowpack. I dont write off the really cold weather until about mid February. I do know its been cloudy as my solar producution has been very low.

AGW puts a ot more energy in the atmosphere so in addition to a general warming trend there is lot more oscilllations in the atmosphere so more dips in the jet stream which leads to less steady weather patterns.
The PV actually split earlier in the fall, the cold just didn't come to us, it was on the other side of the globe.

Our propane fired radiant system is on the blink, with a part another week out, so I'm good with a warm spell. Good to have a wood stove. As for those of you with new sleds and payment books.....you shouldn't play the ponies. Bad gamble.

My dad used to run a very small company credit union part time. Several of the members would buy a new truck with a plow on it in the fall and take on huge payments. The guy who had run the credit union before my dad would approve the loans assuming they would plow all winter and pay off the trucks. This was 40 years ago so snow wasnt normally an issue in Southern Maine. The guy running it decided to retire one year when there wasnt any snow until February and some ski slopes didnt even open up. My dad ended up with lot of members bringing the keys into the office and handing back the trucks as they could not make the payments as they never got plow work. After that my dad convinvced the credit committee to be lot more careful on who and how much they loaned out.

Affording the sled is not a problem. No help from BRP needed.

Reactions: ABMax24