Well This Feels Real Weird, It's 60F Outside ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Bombardier recreational products, ski-doo parent company

I'm clueless, (happens more and more). What's BRP?
Bombardier Recreation Products. Parent company of Ski Doo.

Only used the snowblower once in early December. Just pushed the other two snows off the driveway by hand.

I keep thinking of winter 2014 - 2015 here where we had very little snow and nice temperatures well into January. Just when I thought I may not use the snowblower all season, we had 5 weekends of heavy snow, ended up with 120" for the season (average 67"), and January - March 2015 was one of the coldest on record.

With the recent warm spell in New England, ive had very little wood burning going. Small pellet stove in the basement we put in 2 seasons ago is keeping the house comfortable. I’m been surprised at the heat that thing puts in the house. Honestly I’d like a night in the teens or single digits right now- I like having the wood stove going. 46 degrees in southern CT at the moment. Odd for January.
It's been cold enough up here for fires but still warm enough that so far, we haven't burned the amount of wood we usually do.

The gates on the snowmobile trails are still locked up, it's shaping up to be another short snowmobile season.

I think a lot of folks forget that winter doesn't really start until December 21st. Many folks around here are celebrating winter being half way done, but it's only just started.

Reactions: kennyp2339
I think a lot of folks forget that winter doesn't really start until December 21st. Many folks around here are celebrating winter being half way done, but it's only just started.
And if its like the other past 8 years, it wont warm up here till mid April, seems like the pattern here has had winter start mid Jan and then linger all the way through March in these parts, the one year I basically burned wood to almost memorial day as night time temps were still dropping to the low 40's at night, I'm not complaining but I'm just anxious to use that tractor for stuff, we've been in a prolonged or perpetual mud season here since October, need things to stabilize so I can get into the yard and start doing wood or moving dirt, snow removal is fun to though.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Low temps and snow cover typically lag the season by about 6 weeks. My coldest temps usually line up with the end of January/early February. If the prevailing weather is west to east, the snow pack is impacted by the great lakes. Until they freeze over lake effect injects a lot of moisture into fronts coming from the west. Once they freeze up, then the west to east fronts seem to be lot drier, yes it snows but not a lot. If the predominant weather is coming up the east coast then the great lakes doesn't really impact snow pack. The east coast and gulf of maine arewarming up and that seems to line up with more coastal storms.

My unofficial observations from being in northern NH since 1987 is that I used to get more snow from these west to east storms early in the winter and then would be on the upper fringe of Northeasters coming up the coast with the mountain to the south blocking some of the precipitation. Of late I am getting less west to east flow and more snow from relatively "wet" northeasters and frequently I am on the northerly fringe. Forecasting is getting to be a lot more accurate these days but the rapid regional change in climate is injecting a lot of changes into the system. What was average 20 years ago is now not so average.

And if its like the other past 8 years, it wont warm up here till mid April, seems like the pattern here has had winter start mid Jan and then linger all the way through March in these parts, the one year I basically burned wood to almost memorial day as night time temps were still dropping to the low 40's at night, I'm not complaining but I'm just anxious to use that tractor for stuff, we've been in a prolonged or perpetual mud season here since October, need things to stabilize so I can get into the yard and start doing wood or moving dirt, snow removal is fun to though.
My God I'm so tired of this ever long mud season. I can't wait for fully frozen earth for skidding logs.

January 11, 2020.

It's 75F inside. At 4 Pm. Low for tonight 50F, in the Hollow.

I just closed the windows I had open today!

Guess it's a good time to clean the boost baffle ;)

My wife has been doing spring cleaning, I guess the warm weather sets her off. Don't worry by next week it'll be deep winter again.

Reactions: Dix
A bit balmier on Mt Washington.

1578776626394.png

yeah unseasonably warm here as well, used the chance today to clean the chimney

Yep, that's on my list for this weekend !

Hit just under 65 today. Decided to fire up an hour or so ago now that the sun is down.

We seem to get a couple days like this every year at the very end of December or early January so somehow I got into the habit of doing my sweep then.

I always mean to do it at the end of the year but then never do. Then that first fire comes and the time gets away from me. So I keep ending up end up doing it mid-winter. Don't know if its gonna happen tommorow but if I don't get it done I'm gonna miss my window.

I'm using the furnace to take the chill off in the morning and not burning the woodstove. These 60-degree afternoons are unreal in mid-January. Where is winter?!?!

Didn't start the stove at all yesterday or this morning. It's 61 now in Conn., last night at 11pm it was still 60 and I don't think it got much below that. Early this afternoon I may open a couple windows to warm up the house a bit.

I think I need a beach vacation lol. I woke up to -31c (-22f) this morning and its supposed to be -40 tonight.

It’s been cool up here, I had 1 above this morning but it’s up to 5 now. It was 58 in the house when I got up but I have 64 now with a good fire going in the stove.

Pretty standard that warm spells in east usually line up with cold spells out west. It comes down to dips in the jetstream.

Washed my truck in a t-shirt. Somewhere around 75::F. Cant say I mind it.

Reactions: WiscWoody
I let the fire die a few days ago. due to the warm weather. I will be taking down the Christmas decorations in shorts today. Hoping for more cold weather soon.

I think I need a beach vacation lol. I woke up to -31c (-22f) this morning and its supposed to be -40 tonight.

Holy smokes! Some may think I'm crazy but I'm looking forward to at least normal New England January temperatures. I prefer cold weather when splitting wood. Did rake some leaves now that the snow is gone.

Reactions: ABMax24
I would not mind a really nice deep freeze for a few days. With little or no snow on the ground a deep freeze can get at the tick population and knock them down.

Reactions: Grizzerbear