Went to get a new "gas can" for chainsaw gas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I standardized on No Spill gas cans. I give them to my friends and relatives for Christmas and birthdays too. They make a great gift as everyone wants relief from the frustrating and slow EPA cans.

Reactions: Jon1270
Buy whatever can you like, then go on amazon and buy the "Water" can replacement nozzles. They even come with a vent plug to install just like gas cans used to have. They work great, and are even available in a high flow size for filling multi-gallon tanks.

Another testimonial here for the No Spill can. It works great.

Wish No-Spill would make a spout-only that would fit common thread sizes of other make cans
Look up "easy-pour" spouts. They completely eliminate the valve, but still have a cap that seals tight to keep your gas from evaporating off.

This is a good idea, but keep in mind the new cans don't have a vent hole, so you will still get the "glug, glug" effect (unless of course you create a vent)
Yes, that is a problem. The easy-pour spout comes with a vent you can add. I, however, don't really like the style of vent they have (I don't think it keeps the gas from evaporating very well). My simple solution is to add a metal valve-stem to the can in the area a vent would go. Remove the valve core and use the valve-cap as the sealer. Caution: some rubber O-rings included with valve stems are not compatible with gas, I replace all mine with Viton gaskets just to be sure.

Once you have added an easy-pour spout and a valve-stem vent, the gas will flow quickly with little effort on your part and with minimal spillage (unless you screw up), just like the old-fashioned cans used to work before all this insanity.

My simple solution is to add a metal valve-stem to the can in the area a vent would go.

As a side note...the rubberized valve stems kinda suck. They are easily broken (on third one for one of my cans now).

+1 on the no spill cans. I have a few pre-epa cans as well. Hate the EPA cans

As a side note...the rubberized valve stems kinda suck. They are easily broken (on third one for one of my cans now).
Most of them are also not compatible with gas and they get weak over time. Every item I'm considering using on my gas cans gets tested first in a glass jar of gas in the shed so I can see what happens over time. I've put entire rubber valve stems in it before and they swell up really big and at the end of a 4+ month test they are almost completely dissolved. That's why I went with metal stems and I replaced the rubber gasket on them with a viton gasket.

Reactions: 7acres
Used bar oil jugs work great for gas. Some even have a site glass to measure straight gas so you can mix from a large can.

After the husband of my wife's friend died a couple of years ago, I was invited to get what I wanted out of the garage. He had four old style 6 gallon gas cans. Between those and all the one and two gallon cans I already have, I'm pretty sure I'll never have to experience any environmentally friendly jugs.

Reactions: CrufflerJJ
After the husband of my wife's friend died a couple of years ago, I was invited to get what I wanted out of the garage. He had four old style 6 gallon gas cans. Between those and all the one and two gallon cans I already have, I'm pretty sure I'll never have to experience any environmentally friendly jugs.

Good for you! The old stuff was built to last.

Does anyone know what the EPA thought they were solving?

Not gas spills . . . always seems like I get more gas on me, my machinery and on the ground then I do in the gas tank when I attempt to use any of those gas cans.

Reactions: mikey517

Probably trying to stop the evil vapors. Much like no longer having a vent in the carb covers so the carbs don't work worth a cr@p.

FWIW, I snatch up old style gas cans when ever I can off CL and hoard them.

The following can wouldn't be great for small engines, but for those that need to fill something like a boat or motorcycle, it can't be beat. Tip the can up, pull the vent cap and empty 5 gallons of fuel in about 30 seconds. I bought the can 20 years ago and it still works great.

I used to use this can when I raced motorcycles offroad. We would have to pit for fuel an hour into the race. We needed something that would top off the tank in under 15 seconds. Works awesome!

http://www.jazproducts.com/utility_jugs.html

I have about 5 of these, but not all of them have came with caps. I've ripped the guts out of each one, then capped each of them with rubber replacement chair foot caps. A 4 pack is like $3 at home depot. They work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.