I may not get my gas stove installed after all!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Slocochef

Mar 19, 2023
MI
Hello again…. So my Jøtul gas stove is to be installed Aug 18___ Decided to move the old elec faux fireplace from the wall where new stove will go - in moving it found a return air duct! Was essentially blocked for 3 years by that moveable fireplace. I freaked out as I paid for the stove already….just not the install. It’s a small room like 14 wide by 16 long - but flows to a small dining area adding maybe 7 ft more to the length. Went hunting and found a second air return vent behind a couch in the same room. Just seems there is now no ability to have a stove at all! The 2 Vents are on 2 walls that adjoin in a corner neither 10’ from the other…. I am no expert but I think I am totally screwed here. May have to pay some hefty fees for the stove people to drive up here again to see if they can figure anything out….or might call the hvac people locally to visit and off er suggestions. For four months been working on this project and right when it’s ready to roll…..seems impossible!

Hello again…. So my Jøtul gas stove is to be installed Aug 18___ Decided to move the old elec faux fireplace from the wall where new stove will go - in moving it found a return air duct! Was essentially blocked for 3 years by that moveable fireplace. I freaked out as I paid for the stove already….just not the install. It’s a small room like 14 wide by 16 long - but flows to a small dining area adding maybe 7 ft more to the length. Went hunting and found a second air return vent behind a couch in the same room. Just seems there is now no ability to have a stove at all! The 2 Vents are on 2 walls that adjoin in a corner neither 10’ from the other…. I am no expert but I think I am totally screwed here. May have to pay some hefty fees for the stove people to drive up here again to see if they can figure anything out….or might call the hvac people locally to visit and off er suggestions. For four months been working on this project and right when it’s ready to roll…..seems impossible!
Also as code reads 10’ needs to be between “open combustible” appliances and a return air vent …..is a direct vent stove not a closed combustion chamber? Does the 10 foot rule apply to these DV (IPI) new stoves? If not maybe could have hvac guy advise on how/if I can cover one of the 2 vents as it was essentially covered or blocked for 3 years anyway with no problems that I know of…..hope to find a way out of this pickle

If theres a second vent in the same room I'd plug (drywall over or whatever) the one behind the stove and carry on.
Yes there is another vent on adjoining wall…..I like this idea…..yet by tape measure the other vent is still only like 7 ft away from where stove was supposed to go. The Vent on the stove wall was nearly or essentially blocked for 3 years so seems it wouldn’t be an issue having the other…. But would you know if a DV ipi style gas stove gets a pass from 10’ code as they are closed combustible systems? Thanks for responding too!

Yes there is another vent on adjoining wall…..I like this idea…..yet by tape measure the other vent is still only like 7 ft away from where stove was supposed to go. The Vent on the stove wall was nearly or essentially blocked for 3 years so seems it wouldn’t be an issue having the other…. But would you know if a DV ipi style gas stove gets a pass from 10’ code as they are closed combustible systems? Thanks for responding too!

Can't say how your code works down there for sure, but my direct vent gas fireplace is about 2ft from my cold air return on my main floor. My house was built this way in 2014 and passed inspection.

Reactions: Slocochef
Can't say how your code works down there for sure, but my direct vent gas fireplace is about 2ft from my cold air return on my main floor. My house was built this way in 2014 and passed inspection.
O wow! Thank you for sharing…. If that’s the case here in MI maybe they could just move the stove to the corner of the room…. There’s internet and cable cords/modems there now though coming thru floor and sitting on glass shelf…. and a window nearby - it might still meet the clearances…. Or - just cover the one air return as mentioned and stove could stay where originally intended…. Here’s a pic

IMG_2483.jpeg