Went to the "Good wood"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Shoulder season was short. Spruce wasn't quite keeping up & only getting 8 -10 hour burn times.
I brought in a load of 2-1/2 yr seasoned birch, What a difference!
An all night burn, with the house at 71° (OAT 14° ) this AM & still lots of wood in the stove.

Amazes me how much better some wood is for heat & long burn times.
Can't imagine what hickory, locust or oak must be like. Youns with super high BTU wood are lucky.
Would need to have allot less wood per year.

Learning curve for burning birch: when loading, have the wood next to the stove ready to load fast ;)
Had a raging fire in 30 seconds.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Reading weather reports from Alaska members is like reading New York city real estate listings to cheer me up when I was looking to buy a home locally. No matter how bad I thought it was here, some poor bastard has it a lot worse than me.

Your single digit temps in October is the equivalent of seeing a NYC 800 sq ft apartment listed at $900k.

Shoulder season was short. Spruce wasn't quite keeping up & only getting 8 -10 hour burn times.
I brought in a load of 2-1/2 yr seasoned birch, What a difference!
An all night burn, with the house at 71° (OAT 14° ) this AM & still lots of wood in the stove.

Amazes me how much better some wood is for heat & long burn times.
Can't imagine what hickory, locust or oak must be like. Youns with super high BTU wood are lucky.

Learning curve for burning birch: when loading, have the wood next to the stove ready to load fast ;)
Had a raging fire in 30 seconds.

That birch bark willl do it every time!;)

I know you're in good shape with a buncha Birch stacked and ready to go. :)
house at 71° (OAT 14° ) this AM
It's about 72 in here now, but I'm trying to get the temp up. I opened the windows; It's 78 outside. ==c
We're in for a rude awakening, though...mid 50s/mid 30s by the end of the week.

It ends up being the same amount of work; The wood is twice as heavy. ;lol

it summer again here......

Going to cool back down this weekend.

Got windy here, 25 MPH
Temp up to 36°.
Wind chill 23°.
Feels warm if you are out of the wind.

Got the wood Split & stacked just in time.
The stacks of green birch should be getting drier by the minute :) :)

Reactions: smokinj and corey21
Status
Not open for further replies.