We're considering something...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eclecticcottage

Minister of Fire
Dec 7, 2011
WNY
(not sure where to post this, so mods, move if needed)

So, we have this extra truck we don't want or need. We've got one too many here, we had more space to park at the Old House and this just isn't working. We have had it listed for a bit, not trying real hard ot sell it, but a few nibbles and no bites. We talked about trading it for "something"..but what? Then it hit me. Wood. We'll use it eventually and once it's stacked we can take a little break from scrounging and CSS to finish work here and at the Old House, and get some other stuff done. I am not keen on "paying" for wood, but we are spending a lot of time of scrounging and CSS and not getting some other projects done in the mean time, trying to get our supplies built up.

It's super clean, I can't believe it, even the wheel wells are beautiful. We bought it before the Cottage, but we need better gas mileage now.

The problem is, I don't think we could find someone with enough wood to trade, that would part with their stash!

Here's the truck:

3I73N23H55L25Y05H5ccq6761c4a747b3153d.jpg

it's an 84 Bronco, AT, locking hubs. Needs some interior work, but runs great. 351W, 4 barrel carb. We've been asking 4K.

What say you? Do you think anyone would part with that much wood? Would you (figuratively, I don't think anyone here is local to me anyway)? Obviously we don't need it seasoned, just cut and split...and probably delivered since our other truck decided to start running like crud right at the end of last year (we don't drive it in the winter). I can get hardwood (green) for $50 a face cord locally, probably $60/65 delivered.

Reactions: basod
You'll have better luck selling the truck and using the money to buy wood.

I'm doubtful, but that seems to be my M.O today. How did you come up with the asking price? Edmunds doesn't even offer prices for vehicles that old, but it suggests that a 1990 Bronco in outstanding condition inside and out (better than yours), with 112K miles on it (probably much fewer than yours), with all sorts of options, is worth less than half of your price. So unless there's something special about '84 Broncos, I think you may be deceiving yourself about its value.

At the very least, you're looking for a firewood dealer (because who else is going to have that much wood to trade?) who wants a truck like yours. That person may not exist in your area. The only way you'll get more wood for it than you could buy with the cash you could sell it for would be if the truck was really rare AND you get lucky enough to find a firewood dealer who craves that exact vehicle, which is even more unlikely.

A cancer free unmolested survivor in NY?
How many miles? Anything rebuilt - eng/trans/frontend?

It would have sold down here already if it had a better set of rims/tires - just my 2cents.

Being you're not pressed to sell asap, might wait it out until tax return time - folks usually impulse buy
I bet you there are a dozen or more 16-18yo's drooling over it without the cash.

If there were a Ford I'd own it would be that body style.

() Good luck with that.

Thats a >3000 dollar truck down here. Maybe different in NY. I know my broncos, I drive one and check craigslist for them every day and have for the past 3 years so I know the bronco economy pretty well haha;lol

Ill bet if you put 3k on the window itd sell in a heart beat and youd have all kinds of money for wood, etc

Price would be pretty good around here. Love the body style. One not rusted out around here would easily sell for that if not a little more.
I don't know what NY prices are though. NADA has a classic car section if you need to check the price. The problem is finding the right person. I agree with rdust, sell it and buy wood with the money, you may be able to work out a bulk type deal with someone.

Put it up for trade on Craigslist and see what happens, there's a barter section.

Maybe a wood dealer would see the ad.

That's a LOT of wood though, at $180 a cord that's 22 cords!

I'd love to be the owner of that, but alas, no room & no money.

It would be a nice addition to my Ford collection. But there isn't any room in my driveway for another. If it really is rust free and in NY, it is pretty special.

That's a clean Bronco!

I agree that it would sell for more with some different wheels. Maybe some newer Ford truck take offs?
Another thing is that I think you will get more money for it in different areas of the US so the best way to sell it would be to find the specif forum and post an ad. People are willing to travel for older vehicles in great shape!

I'd make you an offer if I didn't have 7 vehicles!

It's funny how folks in the rust belt see it different than those that are used to a clean truck. I am thinking maybe a partial trade. Problem is, people that want it can't afford it...

It shows about 82K on the clock. Story is, it was a ranch truck out west. Not a lot of miles, then sold and started clocking them, owner moved to NY but it's never seen a winter here. Had AC but it's been taken out.

Seriously, this is one of the wheel wells, that's the lip on the bottom.

Attachments

• bronco8.JPG
    bronco8.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 134
It would be a nice addition to my Ford collection. But there isn't any room in my driveway for another. If it really is rust free and in NY, it is pretty special.

This is precisely our problem. We love our older F150 and had to chose. The Bronco's cleaner and can haul better (it's got dual front shocks and trailer bake controller), but...just like the truck better. Reminds me of my Grandpa's truck. I can't say there's NO rust, but it's so superficial it's not funny. Even the window in the tailgate works from the key and the switch.

Maybe put it on Ebay.

Another crazy way to get the word out on it is to get it on the Bring A Trailer (BAT) site and then ask your full price!

Status
Not open for further replies.