Wet Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GENECOP

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2014
Ny
What worst, unseasoned wood with a high moisture content, or seasoned wood that has been left out side and carries snow and ice ? Asking because I have a fair amount of both..

The unseasoned wood is worst. The snow and ice covered stuff will melt and dry off pretty quickly inside of typical dry winter house as the moisture is on the surface. I have the option of just piling it up on my basement floor and its normally will melt off overnight and add a little bit of moisture to the house.

Agreed. Unseasoned wood has a high internal moisture content. Snow and rain are external moisture which will dry off much quicker.

Agreed. I got some oak that had been stacked outside for 4-5 yrs, uncovered, leaves falling in etc. Out it in my garage for a week, then the basement (where the stove is) for 2 days, and it's all good. Don't try that with fresh oak...

100% . . . unseasoned wood.

Seasoned wood with the snow and ice brushed off/evaporated will burn fine.

Reactions: GENECOP
What worst, unseasoned wood with a high moisture content, or seasoned wood that has been left out side and carries snow and ice ? Asking because I have a fair amount of both..
Neither is good, but unseasoned wood has moisture in the cells which takes a relatively long time (months or years) to leave the wood. Wood that is already fully seasoned (and has no decay) and has moisture on the exterior (from rain or snow) can be dried for burning in a much shorter period of time (when moved to a warm dry environment like the room the stove is in). Not having a wood shed and relying on other coverings of one form or another has caused me to have similar problems over the years. I try to prepare (move to a warm, dry place) the wood I will use well in advance so the moisture levels are low when it goes into the stove.

Reactions: GENECOP