What a difference a new door makes!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rudysmallfry

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
Milford, CT
Hi guys. I haven't been on this forum in ages. I lit up a few nights ago when it was 35 outside and thought of all you wood burning nuts. This is the 3rd seaon with my Heritage. I finally have the stove down to a science and found I actually appreciate poplar after having to burn an entire tree worth. If nothing else, the fact that it burns wicked hot makes it very useful for getting cold soapstone kick started. I've since scored seasoned maple and oak, but keep a little poplar on hand when I need a quick burst of heat. What I did have problems with in the past was getting the heat to come upstairs onto the main floor. My stove is in the basement of my raised ranch. I had foolishly tried holes in the floor...no success, dangerous and since sealed them back up. I tried fans, but the heat still stayed mainly in the basement. It would be 90 down there and only 62 on my main floor. I kind of knew where my problem was, my leaky sieve of a 1976 front wood entry door, but never had the cash to replace it. This year I cashed out my stocks, (just kidding...they're currently worthless like everyone else's), but anyway, I replaced the door with a new insulated fiberglass door. Bam! That night I lit up with it 40 outside. Within an hour, the upstairs was 70 which more than warm enough for me. I still have some leaky windows still to replace, but cannot believe what a difference a door makes. I figure it was doing the leaking damage of about 6 windows. I was pretty much heating the outdoors! What's more is, unless the downstairs gets so hot it's unbearable, I find the passive heat of the soapstone is just as effective as using the blower. Saves me some electricity and keeps the soapstone warmer longer. Just thought I'd throw it all out there in case there's anyone about to post a "how to you get heat upstairs" question.

Enjoy the burning season folks! Good to see cats and dogs smoldering again. Go Pats!

Hey, welcome back rudy. That's an impressive improvement. When you do the math, an 1/8" gap on the perimeter of a standard door can be the equivalent of having a 3 x 10" hole in the wall. Add up a few of those and it's like having a window open.

I think it was worse than that. You could actually see daylight through some of the hairline cracks in the wood. It had 14" sidelights on each side too, so we're pretty much talking a 54" wide hole. I should have done it two years ago and ate Ramen noodles until it was paid for. Imagine what I can do when I get the rest of the windows replaced!

Absolutely !!

I bit the bullet and did windows & doors this year (well, 3 on the side untill spring, we just got wore out, but it's the room where the insert is, in the middle of the house, we're good !).

I felt the differance with the AC going, but wow, what a differance with the insert AND the doors & windows ! Try wrapping your hot water pipes for a really inexpensive pay back !!

rudysmallfry said:
I think it was worse than that. You could actually see daylight through some of the hairline cracks in the wood. It had 14" sidelights on each side too, so we're pretty much talking a 54" wide hole. I should have done it two years ago and ate Ramen noodles until it was paid for. Imagine what I can do when I get the rest of the windows replaced!

Congratulations. Wish I could afford to do some of the same. But while you're saving up for the windows, get some thermal curtains from Plow & Hearth or Gardeners Supply, about 50 bucks a pair. Makes a huge difference. I can quickly get my front room up above 70 with the curtains closed, but with them open, I have a hard time getting over 67 or 68. My windows aren't actually drafty, just old storms that leave the inside panes chilly, and the cold washes down and onto the floor. The curtains, even though they don't reach to the floor, somehow interrupt that. I feel the difference first around my ankles. :)

Our home has all Pella windows from 1984 with the aluminum cladding and I noticed last year the sliding door in the winter had some frost by it and I called the local Pella store and I was able to get a complete seal get for the sliding door (triple pane glass style). I am waiting to see how it works if we will notice any difference in the dead of winter. They also sell seals for all the windows as well so I might do them next year.

I was very pleased to see I could still get stuff for windows of this vintage.

Phew Rudy, I thought you got a new door for your stove. I've got an exterior door that I can see light around AND it is an interior door. Major leak point that is on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.