What a steal on this stove at ebay auction!!????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yukiginger

Nov 20, 2005
Hey, check out this auction. Description says it is a new stove but the pictures suggest otherwise. Starting price seems just a little high!!

http://tinyurl.com/njtsy

MarkG

I'm not sure I'd peddle a stove with 2 broken legs, broken glass, and flood damage as "new."

My local dealer might...

Steve

I have to wonder who called in an airstrike on a woodstove?

That is great...another example of the babble people will put in the auction description when they have essentially unlimited space! I may have to email him later and see if he is serious or if he got the decimal point in the wrong place. From the looks of that thing, I would think $120.00 would be more like it. Damaged on shipping?? Looks more like Damaged on re-entry!

Corey

This is not the first time he has auctioned it twice before no bids
Looks like crap

You can get a couple new legs pretty cheap. The rust on the grate & griddle look like surface rust, probably stored in a humid area. It's definately never been fired, for someone with the knowhow it wouldn't be a bad buy if the price were adjusted. 1200.00 is a little much.

Shane said:
... The rust on the grate & griddle look like surface rust, probably stored in a humid area.

I wonder if the 'humid area' it was 'stored' in might have been an underwater hearth store or warehouse in New Orleans area. A wall of water topping a Mississippi River levee and moving through a building at 30 miles an hour might have produced this 'bargain'.

I wonder how much he has in it? $10? 100? Probably not much more than that. I bet he bought it at a salvage auction.

Still, for the right person, at the right price, maybe. I'd guess the right price would be under $500 though. For me, I'd maybe offer $200 and consider putting the remaining $300 into unexpected repair parts for a total of $500. If I felt like completely disassembling and rebuilding it. I'll bet that 'used chimney' is first rate and quite the 'bargain', too. :)

If it hit something big enough to break off two legs 'in transit' (transit from inside the building to the next city block maybe). I'll bet the catalyst may have been busted by the same mechanical shock. You'd want to take a look at that before buying, for sure. Those catalyst elements are really fragile. That one is 'canned' with delicate refractory wool and more expensive than most ($189). Not sure what being underwater does to that stuff. Probably not good.

I wonder if this is a dealer that got a freight damaged stove. If so he probably got full credit for it and was supposed to destroy it.

I know I'm making judgement from a crappy 72dpi photo but it really doesn't look like that thing was under water, If it were under water there'd be alot more rust inside that firebox the groove in the griddle top would be rusted. Those two parts that are rusted on there actually rust easily. The griddle top actually is shipped with grease and a piece of paper on top to prevent rusting while in storage. He is selling it for entirely too much and MSG is probably correct in saying that it was a freight damaged stove, but like I said in the right hands that could be a decent buy for a more reasonable price. The catalyst and housing would need to be thoroughly inspected prior to purchase of course.

Shane, After looking more closely at the photos, you're probably right about no flood damage. But it looks like one of those cracks goes beyond 'a broken leg'. It looks like the main bottom casting is broke big time. See the third photo down? That is the side that still has the legs on it if I'm not mistaken. So broken legs off the right side and big time broken bottom casting on the left side. If I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing.

Oh, and Brother Bart, very funny with the air strike thingie... :)

YEah your right Mo, this thing is a dog. I'm on 56k connection at work and I didn't notice the other pictures they didn't load fast enough before I started casting judgement. Still don't think she was submerged but definatly should be melted down and reincarnated. Guess if you're real froggy you could braze the crack.

I would give a hundred bucks to be able to take that junker, sit it in front of the fireplace, stuff a pipe in it and the chimney, pull a permit and have Elk walk into the room for the inspection.

Brother Bart,

I'd buy a ticket to that show, maybe we could go halfsies on the stove purchase and record it for sale on hearthnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.