What Are Those Bars in Front of the Sno Thro Auger Chute?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I love buying stuff, so I bought a new snow blower. Looking for a deal, but probably only saved 50 bucks. What I ordered is an Ariens 24" Platinum. What appealed to me is the differential that allows it to be turned easily, so my wife can use it better. The 24" width is also probably easier to handle.

What I was wondering is, what are those bars in front of the auger chute? Is that a safety thing? I don't think my 13 year old Ariens has that.

http://www.ariens.com/products/snow-blowers/platinum-snow-blower/pages/default.aspx
402x302_Platinum_30_01_Final.png

I think they are there to support the gearbox and shaft assembly. Everything these days is made of such light metal it probably needs the support.
My ancient Ariens is a real workhorse, just won't quit. I hope the new ones are as good, since I'm in the market for one.

I wasn't able to get much of a great price, and it was still hard to find the model I was looking for.

Safety, Safety, Safety. I think I read somewhere that it's not a good idea to stick your hand into a spinning impeller (and i think there was even a picture). BUT, some people just don't seem to understand the concept, so they get a Lawyer and sue the manufacturer.

Looks like extra support for the gear box.

Heated handles ?

Maybe to stop big things from going into the impeller? I sucked a chunk of 2x6 in mine the first year I lived at this house. Was buried in the snow from the construction. Bent a bunch of stuff and sheared all the shear bolts.

i think people here are looking at two differant things...as i,m a bit confused too

if by in front of the auger chute, you mean BEHIND the auger...not sure what they actually are for but
to me, they look like something that will collect heavy wet snow and keep it from going out the chute

Reactions: Ashful
i think people here are looking at two differant things...as i,m a bit confused too

if by in front of the auger chute, you mean BEHIND the auger...not sure what they actually are for but
to me, they look like something that will collect heavy wet snow and keep it from going out the chute

That's what I meant. I was confusing auger and impeller, duh.
They do like they will collect the heavy wet snow. They look unboltable. I probably should make sure what they're for, though.

What I was wondering is, what are those bars in front of the auger chute? Is that a safety thing?​

They look unboltable. I probably should make sure what they're for, though.​

402x302_Platinum_30_01_Final.png

If these are the bars you're talking about, they are structural supports for the gearbox (should be bolted to the back of the gearbox somehow) and SHOULD NOT BE REMOVED.

What appealed to me is the differential that allows it to be turned easily, so my wife can use it better.​

I would be interested in hearing how you like that feature as opposed to a trigger activated type steering setup like Toro's freewheel steer. The trigger systems allow a bit of "power assist" for steering the unit that I wouldn't think the differential units are capable of.

Reactions: heat seeker
I would be interested in hearing how you like that feature as opposed to a trigger activated type steering setup like Toro's freewheel steer. The trigger systems allow a bit of "power assist" for steering the unit that I wouldn't think the differential units are capable of.

Oh, sure, now you tell me. :) Hey, it's the Platinum, so it has to be better than the mere Deluxe, right? :) It's coming today and there's still some snow on the driveway, so maybe it'll be tested some.

And now, I won't be removing those bars. :)

Reactions: MasterMech
Now, if they could just add innovative features like differentials and trigger-activated stearing, without going cheap on the basic components, we'd have something we could be proud of. My 25 year old Ariens 824 is built like a tank, likely to outlast your new one arriving today, but it SUCKS turning it with the solid axle. Sure, I can lift it up, and unlock one wheel to make for easier turns, but then it can't push thru much snow or go up a hill.

Harumph!

My 25 year old Ariens 824 is built like a tank, likely to outlast your new one arriving today, but it SUCKS turning it with the solid axle. Sure, I can lift it up, and unlock one wheel to make for easier turns, but then it can't push thru much snow or go up a hill.

My Ariens is about 13 years old and still runs great. I had a foot operation last Thursday, (tried to time it so that maybe there wouldn't be any snow and so that I'd be okay for the summer), and my wife had to clear the drive a couple times after the recent snow. I also don't like wrestling it on the turns, and I seem to do a fair amount of that. I figured the differential would be better than the triggers for ease of operation, and hopefully that'll work out.

Wishes for a speedy recovery to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.