What brush do I need?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmore

Burning Hunk
Jun 14, 2014
Baltimore MD
Hey all,
This will be my third season of heavy burning. I want to be able to clean my own flue but not sure what brush size and type I need. I have a 8" round flexible liner. Flue is 23' from top of box to chimney cap. Looking for a brush that will also clean the screening on the chimney cap. Last season the cap got partially clogged. Thanks for any suggestions of what I need and where to get it!

Not that i'm a pro, but one issue I envision with the cap is, It can be larger the chimney. With bottom up cleaning how does a 6 inch brush clean a 8 inch screen.

An 8" nylon brush, test before using and trim a little bit if needed (you want it to scrape the inside, but not to actually be distorting the liner).

To clean the cap, I'd suggest a cheap wire brush and a screwdriver. Take the mesh off and leave it off until you stop burning for the year. Knock off any remaining large crud with the wire brush. Won't have to touch the cap again until spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.