Mojappa Posted By Mojappa, Apr 16, 2018 at 10:57 AM

1. Mojappa

Mojappa
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 14, 2018
    Loc:
    Gerrardstown, WV
    7BE530C8-FB73-4612-9BDE-2CD4A6C2BE87.jpeg The two on the left are red oak (pretty sure anyways) but not sure about the one on the right. The center is almost a bronze color and the bark was relatively smooth, any ideas what it is?

Attached Files:

2. peakbagger

peakbagger
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern NH
    Looks to me like red maple. The dark color usually means the tree top was dead or damaged. I see a lot of that type of wood when cutting trees damaged by an ice storm in my area 20 years ago.

jackatc1 likes this.
  3. jackatc1

jackatc1
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Aug 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Port Crane ny
    Split on the left looks more like Cherry or Apple, to me.

4. Mojappa

Mojappa
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 14, 2018
    Loc:
    Gerrardstown, WV
    The split on the left had been sitting in the woods fully round for a year or two. I assumed that’s why it looked different than the other stuff. I’ll get a better pic of one of those pieces with the bark when I get home.

5. Mojappa

Mojappa
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 14, 2018
    Loc:
    Gerrardstown, WV
    Couple more pics of the stuff on the left

Attached Files:

6. jackatc1

jackatc1
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Aug 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Port Crane ny
  7. Mojappa

Mojappa
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 14, 2018
    Loc:
    Gerrardstown, WV
    Also got one chunk of this (so far). It’s only about 34” long and maybe 8-9” was dia. but weights way more than the oak and maple pieces that are larger than it is.

Only been burning for about a winter total (last half of 2016-17, first half of ‘17-18. and not very successfully I might humbly add) so still much to figure out. At least I found the right place to gather info. Thanks in advance for all the help i’ll get along the way.

Attached Files:

8. Kevin Weis

Kevin Weis
    Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 3, 2018
    Loc:
    Union Bridge, Md
    Right is Black Walnut

Jan Pijpelink likes this.
  9. weatherguy

weatherguy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 20, 2009
    Loc:
    Central Mass
    Red oak left, black walnut right.

10. BenTN

BenTN
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Aug 30, 2015
    Loc:
    East TN
    I don't know about smooth bark on walnut, but that last pic looks just like the weed "tree of heaven" we have here.

11. Kevin Weis

Kevin Weis
    Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 3, 2018
    Loc:
    Union Bridge, Md
    Don't know about the Altissama (Tree of Heaven) but could be or maybe Red Maple? If TOH then that's garbage to me but I've been surprised by Sycamore, so go figure. Kevin

12. DuaeGuttae

DuaeGuttae
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2016
    Loc:
    Texas
    I’m not an expert firewood identifier (I read these threads for practice), but I’ve processed tons of red oak, and it sure likes like what you’ve got on the left.

Your last picture looks large for an Ailanthus (Ailanthus Altissima/Tree of Heaven), but we considered those weeds on the farm, so I got to chop them down with a hatchet when I was small. If it is a fresh Ailanthus, it will stink. I know my mother does burn it, and she says it’s surprisingly good for what it is.

13. Mojappa

Mojappa
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 14, 2018
    Loc:
    Gerrardstown, WV
    thanks for the input so far. I seem to live on red oak mountain so that's like 95% of what I end up getting with a little bit of random stuff mixed in here and there. I'll follow up with more pics of that suspected TOH after I get it split, if it's not good for the furnace it'll still burn in the pit or the barrel. lol.

14. trguitar

trguitar
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Dec 2, 2011
    Loc:
    Harvard, MA
    The one on the right from the original photo is definitely red maple. The bark on young red maple is typically smooth. It starts to furrow as it gets bigger.