What difference does it make?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Apr 15, 2022
Maryland
So I’m stacking wood to dry that I split and I came up with a system of plastic bread trays over cinderblocks. I stacked the wood but the bread tray is not wide enough to have two rows end to end. I’m wondering if it really matters if I stack long way. I imagine the potential lack of airflow would be an issue. Maybe I just need to live well enough alone. Any thoughts on this? I have the basics of off the ground, and top covered, but wondering about maximizing space.

If you're stacking the long way it will significantly slow down drying. You want the ends facing the prevailing wind so it blows through the stack, removing moisture as it goes. Wind is the best thing for natural drying...even more important than full sun imo.

Got any pics? You could grab some cheap landscape timbers and lay them across the blocks to make it work or just pallets. That's what most of us without sheds use. I've got about 8 cords up on blocks/timbers and another 4 cords on pallet islands right now. They are all facing the afternoon sun and prevailing wind for max drying. My stacks are 2 rows deep connected with some branches and an 6" ish air gap.

20220520_173000.jpg

Yeah I thought long wise might be an issue. I have a single pile uncovered at this point but looking to do 2 logs wide. I’ve been scrounging and splitting with a borrowed maul but getting a good bit gathered. I can continue with single file but was thinking double would help, like you have it. I’m limited in space though. I thought about wooden pallets on block but have been looking at plastic pallets as option I worry they wood ones will rot. We do t have the wood stove installed yet that will be in September I believe. I have some dry stuff (will get a moisture meter to test for sure) that will get me started. It’s for a 400 sft screened in porch with vinyl windows so I don’t heat much but I will want it for winter. The setup I have with the bread trays and block are all free items.

D6B9D25C-279D-4079-ABD9-9D88387F3A0E.jpeg 2559EAB4-2D9E-4A21-B077-BB1E1F2CEF54.jpeg

I have wood pallets directly on the ground that are still rock solid 4 years later. Didn't put them in blocks, only a brick in some spots to level them. Most of them are heat treated to prevent bugs and it holds off the rot for a long time. They are durable.

Looking at your picture there can you fit 2 rows with a tiny gap if you left 1/4 of each log hanging over the edge? That will still be plenty stable. Just build in branches or 2x4s across both stacks halfway up for stability. I can get 3 rows in on pallets doing it this way.

This is one of my overflow pallet islands on the side of the house. I just leave it uncovered (except in the winter) as this is for 3+ years out. Pallets directly on the ground with some overhang. Doesn't always have to be perfect. Just getting stuff split and off the the ground is huge.

PXL_20220725_185214125.jpg

Great info I’ll go with overhang and restack! I’m getting more bread trays for free tomorrow and will stack recently split incredible oak. My problem is no saw at this point so I have various lengths depending how the round was cut. I may end up working to cut perfect racking widths but for now it’s just dealing with what I got. I like the idea of uncovering in summer and covering for winter. I am lucky with good sun and wind exposure. I figure 3 to 4 cords should serve me in a 3 year cycle but we will find out once the stove is in how much we use it. Mainly a through burn on weekends fromFriday till Sunday night and then the occasional weeknight. But if the room is getting lots of use it could be all winter. 400 sft with a wood stove, maybe 2 cords we will see. Figure 1 to 2. And will see. Plus out here in Maryland near the PA line. Good scrounging opportunities here. Thank you so much for the input!

DEC488F2-BA55-4DBC-A51E-48049314F53C.jpeg 2EF2E5C1-890D-4B8A-8CBE-9B40D54AEB75.jpeg 0B12CC59-A52B-46A6-B95F-5CE870000C59.jpeg

Yeah I thought long wise might be an issue. I have a single pile uncovered at this point but looking to do 2 logs wide. I’ve been scrounging and splitting with a borrowed maul but getting a good bit gathered. I can continue with single file but was thinking double would help, like you have it. I’m limited in space though. I thought about wooden pallets on block but have been looking at plastic pallets as option I worry they wood ones will rot. We do t have the wood stove installed yet that will be in September I believe. I have some dry stuff (will get a moisture meter to test for sure) that will get me started. It’s for a 400 sft screened in porch with vinyl windows so I don’t heat much but I will want it for winter. The setup I have with the bread trays and block are all free items.

View attachment 297336 View attachment 297337

A couple things I have learned over the years that I see. One, wood does not like to be stacked on a curve. Give it time and it will probably fall over. Two, If you have shorter pieces, don't put them at the bottom of the row. Doing so may also contribute to the row falling over.

I wonder if the wind direction really matters. It the wind blows past your stacks (perpendicular to the long axis of the splits) you are still moving moist air away because of the eddies due to the irregular stacking.

If eddies can push smoke smell thru poor door gaskets (which I doubt at the pressure vales in a stove system) it certainly can "suction" air from between the splits when it's blowing along the stack.

Just stack it, stably, cover it at least in winter (and preferably with an air gap between the top wood and the cover), and you'll be fine.

Reactions: Investmentdude
Great info I’ll go with overhang and restack! I’m getting more bread trays for free tomorrow and will stack recently split incredible oak. My problem is no saw at this point so I have various lengths depending how the round was cut. I may end up working to cut perfect racking widths but for now it’s just dealing with what I got. I like the idea of uncovering in summer and covering for winter. I am lucky with good sun and wind exposure. I figure 3 to 4 cords should serve me in a 3 year cycle but we will find out once the stove is in how much we use it. Mainly a through burn on weekends fromFriday till Sunday night and then the occasional weeknight. But if the room is getting lots of use it could be all winter. 400 sft with a wood stove, maybe 2 cords we will see. Figure 1 to 2. And will see. Plus out here in Maryland near the PA line. Good scrounging opportunities here. Thank you so much for the input!

View attachment 297353 View attachment 297354 View attachment 297355
For reference I use about 4 cords a year to heat my home here in central MA. It's a 1600 sq ft well insulated Cape with an Osburn 1600 which has a 1.85 cu ft firebox. Its our primary heat source and we burn 24/7 usually Dec thru feb burning primarily oak and maple. We typically keep the house around 70-72.

I'd use a heck of a lot more of my wood sucked. Not to mention colder and really pissed off at the stove. I busted my ass years 1 and 2 to get ahead and no we're on a nice 3 year cycle only burning the good stuff. Keep up the good work, it's worth it!