What do I need...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I use a different solution for the same issue. I set the heat to turn up 6 hours before we arrive. We have an Oslo, but even with that cranking and the electric baseboard It takes 3-4 hours to go from 45 to 65.
Can you get a phone line? The problem with remote internet, is they get disconnected and need rebooting. Although I just found a solution for that.

Can you get a phone line? The problem with remote internet, is they get disconnected and need rebooting. Although I just found a solution for that.
I was wondering if there was some sort of way to control a remote thermostat via a phone line. How does that work?

I had thought about a phone line and controlling a heat source remotely. I've heard of that being done with a cell phone on site, but could never get any decent instructions. That sounded like a cheap system - pay-by-the-minute cheapo phone, plugged into a charger.

I do worry about anything that can come on while we are away. The cabin can be inaccessible for months at a time. We tried to get there after the snows a couple of years ago. We left the pavement and got ten feet, and it took 45 minutes to go back those ten feet. This with 4WD, locking diff, traction control. Some people park where the pavement ends, and pull a sled for the last 1/2 mile.

xman, I assume that you have a scheduled return, in order to set a timer. Or do you use a phone-based controller?

This whole journey of mine started with the idea of a mini split and Google Home for the cabin.

Last edited: