What do ya'll think about these two used splitters?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Intheswamp

Jun 25, 2010
South Central Alabama
Here are a couple of CL ads I ran up on...both would be 100 mile trip for me but...
Thanks for looking! Ed

1st Ad
Log Splitter (26 Ton) - $950

I have a "Yardman" Log Splitter that has less than 15 hours ran on it. It is about five years old and was guilty of letting it sit a couple of years and not draining the gas. Have just had the Carb redone. Now cranks on about 2nd or third pull.
It is a 26" style either Horizontal or vertical (both) hydraulic style with a 6.5 HP Briggs and Stratton. Has always been stored inside protected against the weather. It has small boat style trailor wheels and a trailor hitch. The manual advises against pulling on road but I pulled it about 12 miles from the Lowes I bought it at to my home. I have a ball on my lawn mower now and can pull it all around.

NO Rust.

========================
2nd Ad
troy-bilt wood splitter best offer - $750

basically new wood splitter with honda motor.cost on the average new about $1400 plus tax.any questions please

=========================

I think these are similar machines depending on the tonnage. Find out the tonnage of the Troy built and maybe offer 600 or 650. If you can buy it for 700, not a bad deal. Or offer 700 for the Yardman and maybe pay 750. This is assuming the descriptions are accurate.

I really like the troy built the honda starts on one pull everytime.........

I have a Tractor Supply 22 ton with Briggs & Strat. Engine runs great, no complaints. I think in these comparisons, the Hondas and BS are pretty much equal. It comes down to nit picking issues.

Look at both machines. I have a spee co with the cheap briggs on it. 5 years old and runs great. All of them do now a days unless the gas goes bad in the carb. I agree, I would look at troybilt over yardman but it really depends on the specs. My 22 ton has done everything I needed it to including elm...

It always works that way. Research to find out you just blew a great deal and never see that again. I have done that more then once. I just ended up getting mine new for a grand and knew what I had. Used in my parts you can not buy one for less then 750!

burntime, I agree with you on the great deals and timing....the latter is never right for me. I'm beginning to sense a pattern with things between down here in south Alabama and some of the areas up north...

Ya'll actually have stove stores up there with people working in them that area knowledgeable about stoves and actually want to sell them heating rather than "ooh, this one is cute...do you like this one?"<grrrrrr> Seriously, I've contacted several sellers and so far the only ones that seem cordial and interested in discussing stoves with me are sellers from up north (and they can't ship Jotul down here)....those I've discussed down this way had rather sell me a pool umbrella and *if* they quote me a price it's well over msrp.<sigh> Really, I'm having a hard time finding someone to buy a Jotul from.

In regards to splitters...I think down here folks get them, use them *some*, get tired of using them and either stop burning wood or either start buying their wood already split. Up your way folks buy splitters to use and demand is much higher.

Or, it all seems to appear this way. I'm actually beginning to get a little discouraged in my stove hunt.<sigh>

Anyhow, I'm re-evaluating my splitter needs/requirements and will keep my eyes open.

Ed

For a stove, check out hampton-fire.com, they are a high end division of regency. My dealer sucked but the insert I bought really looks nice. I was between them and a Jotul, I ended up going with the hampton and really enjoy it. The reason was more btus. Your climate may not require as much but in cheesehead land we see 0 quite often. Good luck!

I like new power equipment. Its going to be around a long time might as well have it from day one. Yes it costs more but it comes with warranty. Nothing worse than trying to save a few bucks on something that was sold for a reason. Id rather save for few more weeks and buy a splitter new. The one exception is buying a splitter from a friend that you know the history of.

I never sold a piece of equipment that I liked. I sold my log splitter last April because I hated it. DO your research and figure out what you want and buy it. Sometimes it does not pay to be thrifty. Often it is thrifty to buy the best first and own it forever.

I think that around here, used 26 ton splitters on the side of the road are going for $1600 or so (saw one the other day). $950 sounds like a good price to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.