Troy-Bilt 27 Ton Splitter (Lowes) - A Few Questions....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BurnIt13 said:
My father and I recently purchased and installed our wood stoves. He lives on a plot of land surrounded by woods, so we have all the free wood we want. We are just about to pull the trigger on a log splitter and one of the more attractive deals is the Troy-Bilt 27 ton from Lowes.

Lowes has is on sale for $1,299 and I have a 10% of coupon which will bring the total down to $1,169. Seems like a no brainer considering the excellent reviews. Sure it has a slow cycle time of 19 seconds, but we aren't trying to break any speed records, so we can live with that.

My questions:
1. Does anyone have this particular model? Any significant likes/dislikes?
2. Troy-Bilt says the tow speed is 45MPH MAXIMUM. I'm wondering if that is a the tires will melt and the bearings will seaze above 45MPH rating, or if it is a result of some regulation requiring tow behind tools to stay below 45MPH. Anyone have some insight on this?

I see people buzzing by me on the highway all the time with log splitters in tow. I live about 50 miles from my dad via highway, so cruising at 45mph wont be a picnic. Thanks!

I've heard of several folks having problems with the Troy Bilt and they all say it is super slow. You might like the Huskee 22 ton better and save a hundred or two in the process. We have an MTD 20 ton that is over 20 years old and trouble free. It also has a Briggs & Stratton engine rather than a Honda. Works just fine and is only 5 hp so sucks gas pretty slow.

The fastest I want to tow my splitter would be around 20 mph and that is behind the atv. If I have to go on the highway, I load it onto a trailer as these splitters are not built to run the roads. Not too many I know of have springs and they have low speed tires too. Yes, I too have seen some towed at amazing speeds. I get way out of the way for them too.

Now on that oak. I do hope you do not plan on cutting, splitting and burning that wood this winter. If you do, you are asking for super big problems. Get it split and stacked out in the wind and forget it for a couple years. Three years drying time for oak is best.

I have the TroyBilt splitter. I have used it now for about 5 years. The log cradles are weak and bend rather easily. The one cradle is right over the fluid line to the filter, and the cradle did wear into the line and cause it to burst. I replaced the line no big deal, $80 or something though. Always said I'd redirect that line and filter entry....never have. Wrapped some flashing around the line now under the cradle.

But, if I was buying a splitter now, I would not buy this one. There was just a similar thread on this.....but as mentioned above, the half I-beam design where all the force is placed on the trunions welded to the cylinder has been problematic. When you stop and think about it, it just doesn't make sense to do it this way compared to having a full length beam supporting the other end of the cylinder. My opinion anyways.

I was just thinking yesterday how disappointed I was in myself for not noticing this design "flaw" before bringing the machine home myself. I'd go with a fully supported cylinder.

I have only towed mine home from Lowes....and around with a ATV or usually by hand, and not very far. The fenders have been bent down quite a bit from wood dropping on them....likely would need to be lifted back up before any real towing. I would NOT tow behind a truck, as stated previously, only in a trailer or in the truck. It's not light...so getting in in the bed of the truck will take a little human power. I might be able to do it alone, but I'd sure hope my ramps were stable....

Oh yeah, I'm sure the Honda engine was the big driver for me...that and TroyBilt used to mean something. I didn't know they had been boughten and the name used as a front...though I did know it sure wasn't like there old tillers were built. But the combo of the two put me over the edge and I brought it home.

But, no real problems other than the cradles and that line. I'd buy a different one if I was looking. But this one has never failed to split anything I have asked it to do.

bpirger said:
But this one has never failed to split anything I have asked it to do.

I probably would buy a different one also but same as me.... it splits and splits well. No reason to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.