Log splitter from big box store?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I would still like to see a video, lol.

A video! He owes us a video!

I would hunt him down and demand the video, but I am more interested in his post-log-splitter video, where he builds a much faster tool. ("I call this my Log Splatter. It started out as a front end loader bucket. Now it's a mesh of splitting blades. I started out putting rounds on the ground and hitting them with the splatter, which was pretty great. Then I got the tree grabber for the excavator, so now I just raise up the splatter and push the whole tree in from the top. Here are some videos! Note that the front end loader used to get knocked over a lot before I welded the schoolbus to the back end of it. Sincerely, @Ashful .")

A video! He owes us a video!

I would hunt him down and demand the video, but I am more interested in his post-log-splitter video, where he builds a much faster tool. ("I call this my Log Splatter. It started out as a front end loader bucket. Now it's a mesh of splitting blades. I started out putting rounds on the ground and hitting them with the splatter, which was pretty great. Then I got the tree grabber for the excavator, so now I just raise up the splatter and push the whole tree in from the top. Here are some videos! Note that the front end loader used to get knocked over a lot before I welded the schoolbus to the back end of it. Sincerely, @Ashful .")
Yeah…, Yeah..! He owes us a video to account for and splain all that strutting and crowing he did about a fast splitter.

LOL- Yeah.., yeah! And to top that off, he had the nerve to crow about maple1's splitter being slow.
***@Ashful- No harm intended, just trying to be part of a healthy Hearth family and contributing to innocent chuckling on this end of the monitor.

While shopping, who has considered the wheel location in respect to the users' standing location? From photographs it appears there is no obvious standard and some tire locations look to cause a very awkward operating position. Various models below. The Ariens and Predator look to be less restricting.

Ariens.JPG Cubby.JPG Cubby-FULL.JPG Dirty-FULL.JPG HF.JPG

Reactions: kevin j
I don't want comeuppance; I'm really hoping to eventually see a rocket-powered splitter or something. ;)
Looking back on my project, I should have stopped at the lift and tried it out for a while. I really think the lift negates my need for the splitter wing. Live and learn, I guess.

I don't want comeuppance; I'm really hoping to eventually see a rocket-powered splitter or something. ;)

A rocket powered splitter? I was thinking of going the other direction. It turns out one horsepower is all you need:

While shopping, who has considered the wheel location in respect to the users' standing location? From photographs it appears there is no obvious standard and some tire locations look to cause a very awkward operating position. Various models below. The Ariens and Predator look to be less restricting.

I certainly did. The relationship to where you stand, where the exhaust is, where the wheels are, where the control lever is, all are very important if you are going to work any reasonable amount of time. Some units are excellent from one side, awful from the other. Others are easy to operate horizontal but not vertically.

Don't dwell on cycle time I might use the full stroke 1 out of 20 logs.

this is my experience as I've mentioned as well. I have the 22 ton Speeco. With a Log Catcher, and stroking it usually only a few inches in each direction, after I'm working for a bit, the splitter isn't slowing me down in any appreciable way.

I make up my time by having big saws, big log jacks, a big front end loader, good size tilt and dump trailers.

As I've gotten older, I don't find myself needing my splitter to go 5 seconds faster to keep up with a "fast" splitter.

I also taped off and painted reference lines on the side of my log cradle so I can visibly stop my ram just past the 16" mark on the return stroke while I'm loading up the next log.

Little things like my log marks, my hand filed and sharp wedge, and all the other parts of bucking wood are where I make up my time.

If I was splitting for a living, and if I was a lot younger, I'd have an entirely different setup for certain.

As I've said before, I paid close attention to where I spent my time, and having big saws, sharp chains, and getting the wood out of the woods fast is where I'm making up my time.

For me, the size, power and reliability of my briggs powered Speeco has been rock solid.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
I certainly did. The relationship to where you stand, where the exhaust is, where the wheels are, where the control lever is, all are very important if you are going to work any reasonable amount of time. Some units are excellent from one side, awful from the other. Others are easy to operate horizontal but not vertically.

Yes indeed.

Also after spending a bit more time looking closer at splitters out there, I have also come to the conclusion most of what seem to be the popular ones mount the engine right in the way of falling splits if one gets away from you. Easy to overlook in the store.

That was kinda painful to watch. Slow splitter, slow operator, slow technique - maybe I'm not so slow after all, lol....

Well, some are concerned with speed, some are not. If I was listening to the loud sound of a single cylinder gas engine (and smelling it's exhaust) I would want it to get over with as soon as possible. If in the fresh air, with no obnoxious sounds, I would be more content to simply enjoy the process.

Personally, I like the best of both worlds. My Fiskars X27 would have split those two rounds in half the time without an engine masking the fresh air and tranquility around me. And without the setup/takedown/refueling time or any oil changes and fuel expense.

Last edited:
Well, some are concerned with speed, some are not. If I was listening to the loud sound of a single cylinder gas engine (and smelling it's exhaust) I would want it to get over with as soon as possible. If in the fresh air, with no obnoxious sounds, I would be more content to simply enjoy the process.

Personally, I like the best of both worlds. My Fiskars X27 would have split that round more quickly without an engine masking the fresh air and tranquility around me.

I think me & my slow splitter would have split it quicker too - pretty sure, anyway. And at less than full throttle. Certainly would go through that stack of splits faster - he's parked a mile away for starters. I also can't stand just tossing splits on the ground - you have to pick the damned things up again then. Mine go right into a small trailer, then drive right to the stack & stack to resting place. Or up a conveyor into a truck or larger trailer - if I was selling.

Then again he's just there for demo purposes - so we'll cut him a little slack.

I was thinking about the wheels and engine also. I wonder if the beam can be turned around to gain wheel space- the tilt up vertical feature would be lost. I may have seen a YouTube mod dealing with this. I think my splitter is pretty limited to right side use, there is 14?" Between the log lift and the left wheel so maybe it would work for after all. I wonder how many people have damaged their engines. I guess it all depends where one is at when discussing the need for a splitter, ax, mail, etc.. if I had one of the retail brand splitters I think the first mod would be a lift and a stand to keep it from tipping over.

... Then again he's just there for demo purposes - so we'll cut him a little slack.
When I look back at my recent videos(I'm probably responsible for 95% of the views) I wonder why I looked so awkward. I do Acknowledge I did not feel as familiar and confident as I once had before the mods.

... If I was listening to the loud sound of a single cylinder gas engine (and smelling it's exhaust) I would want it to get over with as soon as possible....
I was concerned about exhaust and noise, and I thought the previous speed was acceptable. I think I picked up some speed when I changed out my hoses. One 3/8 line had about a 1/8 opening on each side,?

How much faster is it with your upgrades? Have you timed it? Was it worth it in your opinion?

Sorry I forgot to reply to this earlier. I tried timing the factory setup a few times, and was never able to get the factory spec number, so I guess I don't know how they measure cycle time on these things. The factory setup was supposed to be 11 seconds, and I always measured 12 - 13 seconds, when I tried to cycle it myself. All I can say is that it's now 16/11 = 45% faster than it was when I bought it.

I used it to split a cord yesterday, and didn't think to time myself, but can say I moved thru that cord much faster than I ever did on the factory rig.

Last edited:
I recently purchased a Yardmax rear tine tiller from SLE Equipment. It was cheaper than anywhere else I found. I am planning to buy a Yardmax splitter as well.
A video review about their 35 ton splitter.

I am very happy with the tiller I bought.

https://sleequipment.com/lawn-care-equipment/log-splitters-41.html

Was hemming and hawing about going to a hydraulic splitter. The Yardmax 30 ton half beam looked good from Walmart for $999 + $150 freight last week. Price this week $1249 plus $150 freight so it will remain a Fiskar for now. Knew I shoulda pulled the trigger at first viewing but hemming and hawing is so comfortable.

Price this week $1249 plus $150 freight so it will remain a Fiskar for now. Knew I shoulda pulled the trigger at first viewing but hemming and hawing is so comfortable.

You can take condolences in the observation that the YM-35 in the video looks like a gas guzzler. He burned 1.4 gals. of ethanol free gasoline just making two little piles (the first of which he called "huge"). That's about 7 times as much gas as my saw would use cutting those same rounds.

Reactions: Ashful
TSC now has a 40 ton "fast" unit for 26 inch rounds at 9.5 seconds. I might have to look at this tonight.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-40-ton-log-splitter-2018-model?cm_vc=-10005
Holy Carp! Where was that last spring, when I started mod'ing my splitter. It would have been much easier to just buy this, and sell mine.

One thing... no electric start? Who on earth is going to pull over a 429cc motor coupled to a 25 GPM pump in February? Do they even make pull cords that strong? ;lol

That has a 430cc engine but only holds .34 gal of gas;? No thanks, I have better things to do than squirt a shot of gas in a puny tank every time the motor runs dry.
I know what you are saying, I bet that is a mistake. I think my Preditor 430 holds more but my engine sips fuel. I will have to perform a run test soon. I say "bet" because I didn't make it over there tonight.

Holy Carp! Where was that last spring, when I started mod'ing my splitter. It would have been much easier to just buy this, and sell mine.

One thing... no electric start? Who on earth is going to pull over a 429cc motor coupled to a 25 GPM pump in February? Do they even make pull cords that strong? ;lol
I didn't get to see the unit 'cause I was too busy. My Preditor usually starts before the first complete pull, but my pump is much less. One thing I noticed is my gage reads close to/ if not on zero with no action. I'll check it this winter.

yesterday was a perfect example of why I like my 22... i had a stack of wood and 30 minutes before the kids got back. I walked out back and fired it up. I split the majority of the stuff next to it, and when the pile got too big to easily stack, i picked it up and moved it 3 feet. No equipment needed...

The cradle is great, I am thinking about picking up the 4way shortly...

I put the 4 way on mine last year... its sweat. ...

I didn't get to see the unit 'cause I was too busy. My Preditor usually starts before the first complete pull, but my pump is much less. One thing I noticed is my gage reads close to/ if not on zero with no action. I'll check it this winter.

I went from 11 GPM on 190cc to 16 GPM on 344cc. The first configuration was no problem at all to pull in warm weather, and still pretty manageable in very cold weather. The latter is tough to pull in warm weather, and I can't imagine pull-starting it in the cold. Thankfully, it has electric start, so I just plug it into my tractor and turn a key to start it cold.

This new splitter is bigger in every way. Maybe the pull starter is geared much lower than mine, or the compression is less and they run low-viscosity hydro fluid (mine runs ATF), but it still seems like it would be a bear to pull start in cold weather.