Log splitter from big box store?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
yesterday was a perfect example of why I like my 22... i had a stack of wood and 30 minutes before the kids got back. I walked out back and fired it up. I split the majority of the stuff next to it, and when the pile got too big to easily stack, i picked it up and moved it 3 feet. No equipment needed...

The cradle is great, I am thinking about picking up the 4way shortly...

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Don't dwell on cycle time I might use the full stroke 1 out of 20 logs.

And if you had half the cycle time you'd go twice as fast, even if you are doing 6 inch splits.

I wouldn't.

You still need time to get rid of what you just split & get the next round on the beam. For me that time is usually as long as my cycle time. Stuff I have been splitting lately splits really good - only takes a few inches of stroke to split it. Last night, as soon as it split, I would hit hit reverse, then usually knock it off detent after I chuck the splits in my trailer, before I am even going for my next round. So faster cylinder movement would do nothing to speed me up.

Reactions: Egghead
Both types of splitters have there pro's and con's. I own a iron and oak fast cycle, its about 7 - 8 sec from cradle to cradle, I like the fact that I can get into a rhythm with it, like it was noted before, most of the time though we aren't splitting using a full bore stroke so the time gained isn't really time gained if you know what your doing. Were the fast cycle is awesome is when the splitter is in vertical position and your balancing a 350 lbs round on your left hand and knee, pull the level down the wedge will immediately make contact with the round so your not struggling as much.

Reactions: Ashful
I wouldn't.

You still need time to get rid of what you just split & get the next round on the beam. For me that time is usually as long as my cycle time. Stuff I have been splitting lately splits really good - only takes a few inches of stroke to split it. Last night, as soon as it split, I would hit hit reverse, then usually knock it off detent after I chuck the splits in my trailer, before I am even going for my next round. So faster cylinder movement would do nothing to speed me up.

Every round takes 1 stroke? I am usually heaving a round up there and then hitting it 2-10 times to get medium splits out of it, depending on the size of the round. So maybe I don''t benefit from faster cycle time on the last stroke, but I do on most of them.

Big ones do have an extra waste stroke in the middle, as I'll pop it in half and kick one half onto the ground, as the halves are too big to hold on to.

Anything that needs to be quartered for splitting (36"+) gets done in vertical mode anyway, and vertical mode does work as you described- I use the whole cycle time wrestling the round into position for the next split. Typically I'll just knock big rounds into a pile of manageable pieces, and split the pile in horizontal mode after (vertical hurts my back).

Don't dwell on cycle time I might use the full stroke 1 out of 20 logs.

I couldn't disagree more. No matter how you short stroke it, my splitter is faster than yours.

Also, maybe you're splitting friendlier species, but I do full stroke probably at least half the time.

I appreciate the fast cycle time most in vertical mode, when I'm holding a several hundred pound round up on the foot plate, while trying to bring the wedge down to engage it.

I wouldn't.

Just because you're slow, doesn't mean we all are. ;-)

Just because you're slow, doesn't mean we all are. ;-)
;lol Haha!

I think 11 second cycle time is slow. The only homeowner splitters that are actually fast are kinetic ones (and of course splitting axes). All the popular kinetic splitters have 2.5 second cycle times.

I like the way the DH feels for the $$$. The whole unit just felt solid. Most if not all of the splitters I looked at seem to wobble quite a bit in vertical and horizontal position. In the horizontal mode if you manage to get a round up on the splitter now you have to steady both round and the splitter. I have not operated a DH. I would purchase over renting due to the simple convenience factor. One acquaintance of mine rented his unit and was bragging about how much money he was saving over buying a log splitter. But he was always complaining about how much work he had to do on the weekend while splitting and then picking up the unit on Friday night and returning on Monday morning so that he was only charged $50 or whatever it was. For me the big joy of owning a unit is splitting when I want to split and not having to do anything when I don't feel like it or if I'm simply not in the mood I can choose to do something else. I hear my neighbor, all the time, splitting at night when he gets home from work- you can't do that with a rented splitter, economically. Additionally if you plan on splitting One weekend and then all of a sudden company drops in you have the option, for those who don't typically have their hands out (wink) to stop what you're doing and change plans and enjoy something else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jazzberry
;lol Haha!

I think 11 second cycle time is slow. The only homeowner splitters that are actually fast are kinetic ones (and of course splitting axes). All the popular kinetic splitters have 2.5 second cycle times.
I Think mine takes 14 seconds to do a full 30 inch In and out but it's rare that I use the full stroke to split. The larger rounds seem to take more rod to split them apart so that I don't have to manhandle them. Currently at 19 to 21 inches with my wedge at the round it usually only goes in a couple inches and then I back it out to reposition so my cycle time is actually faster than the full 14 Seconds, I think-lol.

I guess you already have decided that you don't want a stationary wedge and that you work the split rounds from the stationary position rather than chasing them. Champion does have a log splitter that I like but I have only seen it on YouTube and it is the champion box wedge horizontal splitter. The split is listed on their site but I'm not sure if it's discontinued or if it's a future model.

I have played around with the DHT 25 ton for the the past couple days. Here are some first impressions (all relative to minimal hydraulic log splitting experience).

1. A cradle would be great. Regardless of if they make one for the 25, it's an easy enough DIY setup.

2. Power is acceptable. Cuts through some of the softer woods like butter. The harder & larger splits, like oak, get slowed down a bit, but only maybe half a second It has been able to get through any wood/knot/size I've thrown at it so far.

3. My own personal opinion is that the cycle time is more than adequate. Once I get into a good groove, I don't retract completely, so my following split motion is maybe only 65% of a full swing. Most of my cuts are 18" give or take an inch, so I've found a pretty good groove of knowing where to stop. I use the time during the retracting to setup my new log. If I were to be complaining about time, I'd be nitpicking. If I had an assembly line of guys working where we could more efficiently feed the person who loads the machine and have on person only push and pull the lever, maybe saving an extra second or two each time would add up. In my case, even when I'm on a roll, the machine is usually waiting for me.

When I have time/remember, I'll post a video for you guys so you can see.

I am now realizing how much wood I have to cut! Saved most of the wood from my backyard renovation done this past summer. Got rid of some of the tulip trees, but kept all of the oak & ash. I'll post some pics of that in a little bit

That Barreto is painfully slow, at 14 seconds... not my speed.

I actually bought one of these as a used rental unit from a Home Depot store. The biggest annoyance is not the slow cycle time (mine is more like 12 seconds, but seldom use the full stroke anyway). No, the biggest annoyance it the safety catch you have to operate with one hand while you operate the ram valve with the other. Two hands, every stroke. I might have rented one once, but would not a second time. I took mine off, but I suspect they would complain about a renter removing pieces of their $4500 splitter.

On the other hand, they are made to be really towed on real roads, the Subaru engine is excellent, and the rubber mounted log catchers are terrific.

Reactions: Ashful
Before clearing:

Big oak:
Z12BsGw

Dowwwwwn goes oak:
XGmVe8q.jpg

Cleared, seed spread:
full?d=1506823080.jpg

Lawn growing. Giant wood pile in back:
full?d=1506823080.jpg

I think the plan is to stack all the wood in the back, and bring up 3-4 cords each fall as I need them and put them right by the house. Not sure the wife would be happy with all that wood up at the top by the house year round

Last edited:
I might have rented one once, but would not a second time. I took mine off, but I suspect they would complain about a renter removing pieces of their $4500 splitter.

I took apart the trencher I rented when I built the wife's chicken coop. Belt was on its last legs. Tensioned it all the way and gave it some belt dressing, made it through almost to the end. :p

I complained about it too, got half off the rental. :)

I rented for a few years, before buying my own, but I was able to rent a fast cycle Iron and Oak (6 second cycle times!). That Barreto is painfully slow, at 14 seconds... not my speed.

On the big box brands, I bought a Huskee 22-ton, on the recommendation of many forum members. It's probably the most popular log splitter here, being made by Speeco, under at least half a dozen different brand names. It has an 11 second cycle time, with a 190cc motor on an 11 GPM pump and a 4" x 24" cylinder, for $999. It's going to be hard to beat it on performance/price, and the ergonomics are pretty good.

I hotrodded mine, replacing the 11 GPM pump with a 16 GPM pump, increasing the line sizes as required, and mounting a 344cc motor to drive it. This is the fun stuff you can do, after using it stock for a few years, and getting bored with it.

How much faster is it with your upgrades? Have you timed it? Was it worth it in your opinion?

Slow 16.5 second cycle time on that Ariens machine makes it not an option in my book.

If I were buying an entry level machine today, I'd seriously consider the DHT 25-ton model (11s) for $999

I just noticed that TSC now also has 25-ton, ~11 second cycle time CountyLine splitter for $999. Looks like these "25-ton" models have replaced the long standing 22-ton, 13-14 second price point.

I just noticed that TSC now also has 25-ton, ~11 second cycle time CountyLine splitter for $999. Looks like these "25-ton" models have replaced the long standing 22-ton, 13-14 second price point.
I also noticed the add touting a faster cycle time. The one thing I don't like about the CL is the lightweight pin connection on the base of the bore. I watched an owner use theirs one time. The end was all distorted. The observed designg was probably better at tension than compression.

Last edited:
I think the plan is to stack all the wood in the back, and bring up 3-4 cords each fall as I need them and put them right by the house. Not sure the wife would be happy with all that wood up at the top by the house year round
That sounds very reasonable, its a lot to take in especially after a huge project of land clearing / leveling and grass tending. It took me a number of years to decide wear I wanted my permanent woodshed, I use to split and stack my wood in the back corner of my property (much like yours) let it dry for 2 seasons then bring up a seasons worth of wood and stack on pallets in the driveway come mid September. My main issue was after I created the driveway stack I had to fight with cheap tarps in the snow, and a messy look after I started burning with my piles dwindling down. The light bulb clicked in my head to build a mega 8 cord shed in a L shape around the perimeter of my driveway, its a much cleaner look, the wood stays under cover, and I'll always have at least 2 seasons stacked and ready to go.

The light bulb clicked in my head to build a mega 8 cord shed in a L shape around the perimeter of my driveway, its a much cleaner look, the wood stays under cover, and I'll always have at least 2 seasons stacked and ready to go.

Yeah, that was really smart! I like the way you minimized wood handling and the distance it has to travel. It makes sense to deliver and store wood near where it will be burned. If all your wood comes from the back of your property this might not matter as much but, my wood comes in on my truck and I prefer to stack it right off the truck as close as possible to the woodstove. Your solution achieves this.

People who think a wood stack is an eyesore don't get the time of day from me. Wood stacks are beautiful and should be shown off!

Last edited: