Log splitter from big box store?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Log Splitter

Oct 6, 2016
New York
Too much wood this year to split by hand!

I've been taking a look on craigslist for used splitters, but damn! I guess those things hold their value because most of them are quite close to what they'd cost new.

I did a generic search on the big box store sites, HD and Lowes. Found these to be some of the more popular mid-level ones:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion-Power-Equipment-27-Ton-224cc-Log-Splitter-100424/302367049
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Troy-Bilt-27-Ton-Gas-Log-Splitter/3806693
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dirty-Hand-Tools-25-Ton-Gas-Log-Splitter/1000246151

I could also consider renting. I have enough that I'd probably need for two days. They have this in stock by me, $99/day:

http://www.homedepot.com/tool-truck-rental/Log-Splitter/E920LSHX/

Thoughts on the above options?

For my money, I would rule the Troy-bilt out. Slower cycle time. Smaller engine (even though it's a Honda). I would probably bite on the. Champion before the Dirty Hands. It's got the log catcher/cradle which is a nice plus. The engine is described as OEM branded. Not sure exactly what that means, but all these engines are made in china now days anyway, so I'm not sure it really matters. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rented for a few years, before buying my own, but I was able to rent a fast cycle Iron and Oak (6 second cycle times!). That Barreto is painfully slow, at 14 seconds... not my speed.

On the big box brands, I bought a Huskee 22-ton, on the recommendation of many forum members. It's probably the most popular log splitter here, being made by Speeco, under at least half a dozen different brand names. It has an 11 second cycle time, with a 190cc motor on an 11 GPM pump and a 4" x 24" cylinder, for $999. It's going to be hard to beat it on performance/price, and the ergonomics are pretty good.

I hotrodded mine, replacing the 11 GPM pump with a 16 GPM pump, increasing the line sizes as required, and mounting a 344cc motor to drive it. This is the fun stuff you can do, after using it stock for a few years, and getting bored with it.

Dirty hand tools units are getting decent reviews as well, should be some sales poping up at the box stores on splitters about now.

I bought a 23 ton Champion 4-5 years ago...haven't had any real issues with it...does what its supposed to. Couldn't pass up the deal, was $700 + tax, fully prepped and ready to work! (Black Friday deal...that's the time to buy 'em!)
My neighbor has the DHT, he likes it, no problems with it either.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
I think the idea of being able to split whenever I want rather than have to bang out a couple non-stop days makes buy over rent worth it for me.

And then factor it that it seems that if properly maintained, these things hold value. I'm sure if a couple years down the road I find it not being used, I could sell it and recover a good portion of my expense.

At least it seems like these machines are pretty solid. I guess for a relatively simple mechanism, there's not a ton that could go wrong. As long as the machine is powerful enough to handle the wood and I don't run into some bad luck, I should be good to go :)

At least it seems like these machines are pretty solid. I guess for a relatively simple mechanism, there's not a ton that could go wrong. As long as the machine is powerful enough to handle the wood and I don't run into some bad luck, I should be good to go :)

I have put 30 in rounds on the 22 ton... it was oak... it split it... there hasn't been anything that it hasn't been able to split... it has a log cradle also.. get it.. well worth it. .

I have put 30 in rounds on the 22 ton... it was oak... it split it... there hasn't been anything that it hasn't been able to split... it has a log cradle also.. get it.. well worth it. .

I'll certainly keep my eye out. Searching further I'm actually having a hard time finding these in stock. It says it's available at my store when I set search results to only show my store, but when I click, it says not available and can't order online. This for the DHT 25 ton

I went with a DHT splitter. Picked the 27T as it had a faster cycle time. As another suggested... $1300 hurt when I paid it, but two seasons later I've saved more on rentals than I've lost on depreciation/wear and tear.

It has worked great, but I want to change one thing. when I split a moderate round, I'll let one half rest on the log support while I split the other half a second/third time. The split on the support often falls off because of vibration, making me bend down one more time. It's an easy fix, but I never seem to make the time to do it.

I have the Harbor Freight 20 ton log splitter and I love it. This is the fourth season I’ve had it and I’ve put a lot of wood through it. I split wood for my parents and myself, so roughly 8-10 cords a year. The reason I went with the harbor freight splitter was because you can split wood forward or backwards since the splitting wedge is double sided.

Reactions: rowerwet
This for the DHT 25 ton
I have not looked at the DHT 25 ton machine, but want to give some generalized advice here, which applies to almost all of the consumer-grade splitters on the market today.

Note that, with very few exceptions, all of these consumer-level log splitters are running the same 3000 PSI pumps. That means your tonnage will be as follows, despite how they creatively bend these numbers:

splitforce.jpg

So, don't get caught up on a "25 ton" vs "22 ton" rating, as they're all using the same parts, just check the pressure and cylinder bore numbers for the true rating.

Now, I seem to split more big and gnarly stuff than most I've seen here (Jags' extreme elm example withheld), and for me the sweet spot seems to be a 4" cylinder. The high-speed Iron and Oak I mentioned above had a 3.5" bore, and it went thru more than 90% of what to it, but I was able to stall it a few times each day. My 4" machine, while only rated "22 tons" by Speeco, hasn't met a round that could stop it.

Many here go bigger, into the "28 ton" or "35 ton" machines, with 5" or 6" cylinder bores. The trouble here is, many of them are still running only 11 or 16 GPM pumps, and have painfully slow cycle time. Here's the math:

splitspeed.jpg

So, you have to ask yourself... would you rather pay an extra $300 for a much slower machine with capacity you probably don't need, or less for a machine that's going to split more wood per day? Most "22 ton" machines run 37% faster than their counterpart "28 ton" machines, given most ship with the same 11 GPM pump!

edit: I should point out one thing, before anyone else calls me on the speed math. Those cycle times are based on rated pump capacities, and these pumps are typically rated at 3000 RPM. The splitter manufacturers are typically over-rev'ing them at 3600 RPM, to get faster cycle times, such as Speeco's 11 seconds on an 11 GPM pump / 4" bore.

The Huskee 22 Ton is doing a great job for me and I was very lucky to have it loaned.
I will totally buy one after the abuse and knots it's been forced to chew thru.

Whether I buy this one or buy new, it too, will get hot rodded a bit.
(Insert Tim Allen grunt)

Reactions: Ashful
Logsplitter, keep in mind that Lowes is like Walmart on some things. They have items made without certain features or made with cheaper materials so they can buy from the manufacturers at a lower price. You will notice part numbers are slightly different than what you see on the manufacturer's website.

Lowes does this with, at least, the Dirty Hand Tools 22 ton splitter. You can't add the log cradle or the table even though the picture shows the holes in the beam for it. I thought there was something else missing too, but I can't remember.

I bought the DHT 22 ton online for $900 and couldn't be happier. Same price Lowes put theirs on sale for.

Most all splitters mentioned above are sort of in the same category with not a lot to differentiate them. So might come down to machine layout & preferences.

For me, it's compactness so I can move it around some by hand if I want. Plus being able to work from each side equally easy (central control). Plus the engine being closer to the front out of harms way from falling/flying splits (that's one that a lot fall short on & is easy to overlook until it's too late). Plus easy to put vertical if I want. Plus a brand name engine that's easy to get parts for. Plus an underbelly that's not vulnerable for towing through the woods (filter & return line not hanging down). Plus a table/catcher I can move from one side to the other when I go from one side to the other - or at least the machine being able to fit one to that I cobble up myself. Putting all that stuff together makes living with it for years to come worth spending more up front if needed.

The splitter I ended up with meets all that, but I I ended up with it simply because I found it used at a decent price - so got lucky on the rest. It's a Surge Master (Wallenstein), also sold in BB stores (Home Depot at least) - although maybe at a bit higher cost than some of the others. I would get another without question.

Reactions: kevin j
Just checked out the links further in the OP. I don't see Surge Master on the HD .com site. Huh.

After a quick look through all the HD offerings, this is the one that jumped out at me:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ariens-27-Ton-190cc-Gas-Log-Splitter-917031/301608045

Surge Master is sold at Canadian H D . and Home Hardware. Canadian built with Honda engine I have had one for 5
years now and have had no problems . They have a 5 year warranty covers everything
Have found nothing it would not split including some well twisted fence line Elm
I am super impressed for a unit rated at 22 tons Then again the Elm is why I bought it !

Reactions: Ashful
Slow 16.5 second cycle time on that Ariens machine makes it not an option in my book.

Agreed. Slow, heavy, and more $, for capacity most will never need. Light and fast, around 20 tons, will win every time.

Reactions: kevin j
Surge Master is sold at Canadian H D . and Home Hardware. Canadian built with Honda engine I have had one for 5
years now and have had no problems . They have a 5 year warranty covers everything
Have found nothing it would not split including some well twisted fence line Elm
I am super impressed for a unit rated at 22 tons Then again the Elm is why I bought it !

Yup. This is mine:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.horizontal-and-vertical-wood-splitter.1000451089.html

It had a lot of use on it before I got it, still works good. I need/want to do some mods though. Tires are badly checked and about toast (had to bring a flat wheel out of the woods with me just last night), so want to get some bigger wheels to replace for more clearance. Along with that likely cut the tow bar & lower the hitch by same amount. Prior owner replaced one of the long hoses & did a rushy or sloppy job on the length & routing - want to replace & reroute & resecure those so not flopping around & getting in the way so much when going vertical. They improved the factory routing since mine was built. And I really need to add a fuel filter. I keep somehow getting specks of dirt in my fuel that once in a while will make it to the carb & cause intermittent stalling. A couple carb bowl drainings usually fixes it but it's a bit annoying.

Slow 16.5 second cycle time on that Ariens machine makes it not an option in my book.

If I were buying an entry level machine today, I'd seriously consider the DHT 25-ton model (11s) for $999

I wonder what components would be slowing it down?