Splitter on sale! To buy or not to buy...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

amellefson

Jan 3, 2011
Southern WI
Looks like a lot of splitter for the money. No experience, but like the way it's set up.

I haven't heard anything bad about them. TSC, HOMDEPOT,and Cabellas carries them. The reviews seem pretty high. Here, Advance Auto carries Champion. That is a lot of machine for the money. 11 second no load cycle for 24 inches!!! That's maybe 4 second cycles for popping-wood. The one thing I would consider is the cost v review factor. Some items are such a POS that no matter the cost it gets a bad review. Other items are so expensive and the reviews are all over the board, which means it is a toss up, due to poor quality control, as to whether your EXTRA money gets a quality machine.

I would say BUY, BUY, BUY!

https://www.google.com/search?clien....0.0.0.......0....1.......3..0i71.cA2bYRnEV9U

Reactions: saewoody
I got mine maybe 5 years ago at Rural King on black Friday sale...$699 after sale and rebate...assembled and running. But, some kid must have assembled it because the hose routing was all wrong...had to re-route those. It came with 2 log catchers racks...but not real heavy duty, I've had to reweld those...but I did overload them to be fair about it. No issues with it otherwise.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Thanks for the insight. I read that in a review about log catchers need to beefed up. Good excuse to by a welder then. _g I’ve got a week till the sale ends.

My only real hesitation is one more engine to maintain and machine to store.

I’ll probably do it but I like to procrastinate on these big purchases.

You've been kicking around the idea of buying a splitter for years now. That's just like me, then when I make the purchase I am usually very happy with it. Make sure you get a fuel cut off valve so that you can run the carb dry after you're done using it. I do this on a daily basis when I use it since I use the ethanol mix. Good luck and when you do purchase it, if you do, send us a photo.

I will post pic if I do get it!

Has anyone ever added a different muffler to something like this? On review online said it was very loud! Of course I would wear hearing protection, but a random thought to change the muffler...if reviewer is even accurate and not a moron.

I have that splitter. 2 years no issues. Goes though every thing I have been putting in it. Not any louder than it should be. I run it at half throttle all the time. It’s very fast. Good buy

Regarding the reviews of any products, I always disregard any that do not elaborate and say "great", "junk", "loud" (Is it loud compared to a library; compared to your mornings having coffee on the porch?).The author's issue with sound could be a personal preference or maybe the muffler is faulty. My neighbors unit, brand unknown, can be heard screeming through 500 feet of fairly dense woods. When I got closer to investigate, the intense noise reminded me of an industrial water cooled chiller and is definitely too loud for me.

My personal preference is a quieter gas machine. I ran the previous 8 hp and the current 13hp engine at a reduced speed because of my issue with noise. Seems to do a fine job at a reduced throttle. If I need more engine hp, I raise the throttle.
I do not think the manufacture has options for the muffler system, but, yes, you should be able to modify the muffler system. The muffler is either bolted on or screwed in, or clamped onto a nipple. Maybe you can run it at reduced speed if the wood isn't so tough.

Last edited:
Years ago, I once installed a car muffler on a twin Wisconsin. It was factory installed with a useless round can. The car muffler did wonders to the noise. It was still loud at full throttle but the whole harmonics changed and the tinny abrasive tone dissapeared and made usage more pleasant. A larger muffler, or any muffler from a twin should be modified quite easily.

1006E4AF-B9B7-4F27-AC52-06BDD8D3E46C.jpeg
Well of nothing else I bet the bumble bees will dig it! Lol.... did you get ‘er yet? I’m on my 3rd powered splitter now starting with a 5 ton electric one up to what I have now. The splitter your looking at is pretty heavy at 500lbs for a 25 ton machine so you’ll most likely need a ATV or garden tractor or what have you to move it around but you’ll like the splitter I’m sure.

Last edited:
Regarding the reviews of any products, I always disregard any that do not elaborate and say "great", "junk", "loud" (Is it loud compared to a library; compared to your mornings having coffee on the porch?).The author's issue with sound could be a personal preference or maybe the muffler is faulty. My neighbors unit, brand unknown, can be heard screeming through 500 feet of fairly dense woods. When I got closer to investigate, the intense noise reminded me of an industrial water cooled chiller and is definitely too loud for me.

My personal preference is a quieter gas machine. I ran the previous 8 hp and the current 13hp engine at a reduced speed because of my issue with noise. Seemes/d to do a fine job at a reduced throttle. If I need more engine hp, I raise the throttle.
I do not think the manufacture has options for the muffler system, but, yes, you should be able to modify the muffler system. The muffler is either bolted on or screwed in, or clamped onto a nipple. Maybe you can run it at reduced speed if the wood isn't so tough.
i usually use ear plugs when I run my splitter. I don’t have to but it seems less tiring if I do.

View attachment 229917 Well of nothing else I bet the bumble bees will dig it! Lol.... did you get ‘er yet? I’m on my 3rd powered splitter now starting with a 5 ton electric one up to what I have now. The splitter your looking at is pretty heavy at 500lbs for a 25 ton machine so you’ll most likely need a ATV or garden tractor or what have you to move it around but you’ll like the splitter I’m sure.
Still haven’t bought it yet. Sale ends Wednesday. Iam such a procrastinator on these purchases.

i usually use ear plugs when I run my splitter. I don’t have to but it seems less tiring if I do.
I wear ear plugs and leather gloves on the riding mower. I have blue tooth ear muffs, but that not the same as being alone with my thoughts.

Did not buy it. I Need to make room in my garage before I buy more toys. I will definitely watch for another sale. Next time I will be ready;)

Did not buy it. I Need to make room in my garage before I buy more toys. I will definitely watch for another sale. Next time I will be ready;)
Black Friday is a good time to find a deal on a splitter, that’s when I bought my last two splitters at Menards. And my splitter stays outdoors but I got a canvas tarp for it also at Menards for it.

Black Friday is a good time to find a deal on a splitter, that’s when I bought my last two splitters at Menards. And my splitter stays outdoors but I got a canvas tarp for it also at Menards for it.
How are the Brutes at Menards? Honestly I will probably keep it outside too. I just have to clean house in general. I am a continual recovering pack rat.

How are the Brutes at Menards? Honestly I will probably keep it outside too. I just have to clean house in general. I am a continual recovering pack rat.
The first splitter I got there was a 22 ton Forest King on a Black Friday sale and the last one I got there is a 37 ton of the same make last Black Friday so I’m not familiar with the Brute brand. The splitters at Menards have never been fast- my new splitter has a 13 second cycle time and a 26" capacity but they can be bought for a good price at times and I think they’re decent splitters. I like my new splitter, it might be overkill for most of my wood but I split a lot of large elm and that’s when I like the extra tonnage I now have. Also I often don’t full cycle my splitter so the cycle times are a bit faster but that could be true for a faster splitter too. My first powered splitter was a 5 ton electric splitter so I’m used to slow lol...

I have been kicking around splitters for years. Now this is on sale at a nearby store. Champion 25 ton V/H splitter.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...gn=7365&utm_medium=12-j&utm_source=salesflyer

Does anyone have Champion equipment? Is it quality? I will be splitting black walnut and 100yr old oak for years to come.
Not sure if you bought one yet but Homedepot in my area sells the Champion 27 ton for same price. I just bought my Champion splitter from them. Great machine and has split everything I have thrown at it. Some was 30" ash, red maple and red oak. Split the crotches no problem great little machine. Keep mine in the garage with all my other machinery. I can't stand leaving stuff out in the elements. In NY we get everything from Rain, Hail, Sleet, Ice Storms, and Feet of snow so I would rather it stay indoors until I need it.

I'm thinking of the Champion 27 ton for 999 as a donor for a project. Lol, I am thinking..., tonight. I guess I am tired of kicking myself after the sale ends. I'll report back after I do the field visit to HD. Fyi, complaints about the suction hose blowing off are most probably due to not discarding the shipping plug and not replacing it with the included vented plug. Also, the manual says to run the unit to remove air which will require and additional 1 to 1.5 gallons of fluid.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of the Champion 27 ton for 999 as a donor for a project. Lol, I am thinking..., tonight. I guess I am tired of kicking myself after the sale ends. I'll report back after I do the field visit to HD. Fyi, complaints about the suction hose blowing off are most probably due to not discarding the shipping plug and replacing it with the included vented plug. Also, the manual says to run the unit and to remove air which will require 1 to 1.5 gallons of additional fluid.
Yup, I ran it for the suggested 5 hour break in. Checked the hydraulic fluid and didn't notice any difference in level. The control valve started leaking on the lever side within the first hour called them and they sent a brand new complete valve free of charge with no return label for the old one. I was pretty surprised they didn't want the old one back. The splitter starts usually 1st pull and runs without a hitch. For what I paid it is faster than I can get last piece stacked and the next piece in place and that is at around 2/3 throttle. I haven't had to run it any higher than that (haven't needed to). I wear ear muffs when running it, it's not wake the dead loud but sure isn't Honda generator quiet. Either way I'm very happy with the customer service and the splitter itself. I'm planning on pulling the valve apart and fixing the o-ring that I'm guessing got cut on the shaft when it was assembled. Should be a pretty easy fix. Gives me a back up if I ever need it or maybe use for something else later down the road.

EDIT: In my manual it says the hydraulic level will be a little high in the first hour or 2 of running until the air is worked out. Also says not to drain to get to level just run it.

They say, if you don't have a photo, it did not happen.

file1-12.jpeg
file-14.jpeg
At first run on the trailer, it is more quiet than I thought it would be. It is faster than my older unit, and appears capable of running at a reduced rpm.

They say, if you don't have a photo, it did not happen.

View attachment 230070 View attachment 230071 At first run on the trailer, it is more quiet than I thought it would be. It is faster than my older unit, and appears capable of running at a reduced rpm.
And it was assembled too? And it came with the fluid? You don’t get that from Menards splitters. Congrats on your new tool! On a side note, Home Depot is 100 miles from me. I do wish they were a bit closer. Menards is 80 miles so that’s my home center of choice up here.

Last edited:
And it was assembled too? And it came with the fluid? You didn’t get that from Menards splitters. Congrats on your new tool! On a side note, Home Depot is 100 miles from me. I do wish they were a bit closer. Menards is 80 miles so that’s my home center of choice up here.

Thanks for the good wishes.
Assembled, Engine oil, hydro oil, wait for it...., gas, and wait for it.., and an additional gallon of hydro. Apparently, this HD runs their tractors in and out in the am/pm, and a customer wanted to hear how loud the engine was so they put gas in it and ran it for a few minutes- but it wasn't sold and not a scratch on the wedge. I put it on my HD card for an additional $100 off, after the extra key put me over $1k. At 17.99% this will be paid in full when the statement comes due. HD is about 70 +- miles from me.

Reactions: JimBear