Splitter on sale! To buy or not to buy...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I am surprised at how substantial the engine sounds. There is a sight glass, return filter, with 2 additional cross ref. Numbers, low oil cut out, and a good feel- backed by HD. I can't wait to try it my out.

I got a 25 ton Brute @ Menards a few weeks ago. I have split some Elm & Cherry & it works well so far, going to take it to my friends fab shop & put a couple shields on it so wood chunks don’t fall off onto the gas tank/ engine & make one to protect the hydraulic filter & fitting. I had to assemble mine, about 45min. - hour. Fluids weren’t really much of an extra expense or problem since we have a 125 gallon bulk tank of Hy-Tran for the tractors. I’ll try to get a pic tomorrow.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
The gards for the tank and filter are a great idea. The reservoir breather is just a plug with a horizontal hole, sufficient enough and well protected. I might put some type of breather on it, or just leave it with an empty can over it when finished to prevent rain from drawing in or dobbers from closing it up.
The unit, it has a cast iron sleeve, and a foam breather with two nuts above that could loosen and permit rain water into the carburetor. Ill put a clear tub over the engine if it is ever outside. The sightglass does appear rather high on the reservoir. The cylinder has a heavier mount than I have seen on another brand I have seen. The operators log stop appears heavier than most. The log cradle seems light than the section near the operator, but appears heavier than some designs offered by competitors.There were complaints about not being able to lock the beam upright. The manual indicates the operator should use the pin from the tongue/beam latch location. This model locks vertically, maybe previous designs did not.
I will go over everything for now. I will add flat washers to the bolt heads that hold the engine down. The one thing I noticed with the additional unit at HD (did not have gas), was the welds at the beam plate were not fully across the base plate- this was my deciding factor on taking one of the two available units.

On second thought, maybe I should have taken that unit because I eventually plan on removing this plate and installing a box wedge.

Initially, this unit shows potential in its current design and purpose.

I’ve found that the fender reflectors often get knocked off and the plastic gas tank egr hose nipple had broke off from a falling log on my last splitter so engine protection is a good thing.

I just want to make sure the guards I put on are out of the way/not PIA when tipped up to vertical position. Don’t really want finger/forearm crunchers. Sometimes I make mods for a specific use in mind & forget to look at the big picture:oops: Cart ahead of the horse type thing.

I just want to make sure the guards I put on are out of the way/not PIA when tipped up to vertical position. Don’t really want finger/forearm crunchers. Sometimes I make mods for a specific use in mind & forget to look at the big picture:oops: Cart ahead of the horse type thing.
Yyeah...! I was thinking something based off the engine and fender mounts.

Here’s my splitter with my cardboard mock up shield on the engine side

Attachments

• 936AC7A4-4C6B-45A7-A559-C6B688126A40.jpeg
    936AC7A4-4C6B-45A7-A559-C6B688126A40.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 224
  • AAEDE39A-7C50-4DAB-A4A0-7694296A636C.jpeg
    AAEDE39A-7C50-4DAB-A4A0-7694296A636C.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 257
  • 58DF0C7B-E2AE-4C4B-8D57-964AE2787059.jpeg
    58DF0C7B-E2AE-4C4B-8D57-964AE2787059.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 230
  • DF0AA4B1-1216-4E98-9EF9-1CE48534A734.jpeg
    DF0AA4B1-1216-4E98-9EF9-1CE48534A734.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 220
  • DA1389F1-3B61-4058-A9A6-AE64FDA16B3D.jpeg
    DA1389F1-3B61-4058-A9A6-AE64FDA16B3D.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 210
I like the 45 deg version, that way you have more room for your hands in the vertical mode.

Yeah the angled guard looks good. I had mentioned above on how the fender reflectors get knocked off and sure enough I knocked one off my new splitter today. I have around 3 hours on it. All it takes is half a log falling off of the log table and bam- it’s gone lol. I won’t be pulling the splitter at night anyways so I don’t intend on fixing it.

just like tail lights on trailers on the rear end of the frame corners, might as well carry a spare set with you as they are going to get smashed. no ifs just a matter of when.

Reactions: Jazzberry
just like tail lights on trailers on the rear end of the frame corners, might as well carry a spare set with you as they are going to get smashed. no ifs just a matter of when.
Right and since I mow cabin lawns up here in the summer I’m always pulling a trailer and I bought a bulk pack of tail lights for it for only $3.50 a light. I end up giving some of the lights to friends for their broken trailer lights but I have plenty. I think I got around 40 lights when I bought them years ago.

I took my fenders off as I don't pull it down the highway and the tires will take more abuse than the fenders. I am planning on making extensions for the both log catches with my bigger logs (20") halves always like to fall off. FWIW I haven't had any pieces fall near the engine, maybe some little scrap pieces but no splits. being that the wedge moves it actually wants to push it down away from engine. If you leave the splitter outside the clear return hose will start to dry rot and leak at some point. My cousin has this same splitter and had it happen after a few seasons of sitting outside. That splitter worked faster than my dad could stack. All said and done we did about 5.5 cords in 8 hours split and stacked and we weren't trying to win any races. You should be quite happy with that splitter I know I am with mine.

I guess I should post the glory shot of first day all nice and clean (almost worth as much as my beat old truck). 2nd showed the leak (kind of) it only leaked when I stopped the detent before the pressure did. The last picture shows 1 day worth of splitting those rounds on the right are 30" across and the Kubota in the back is 55hp just to give a little scale. The stack is 3 deep and about 6' tall now and around 30' long.

Attachments

• 20180724_190304.jpg
    20180724_190304.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 200
  • 20180802_155617.jpg
    20180802_155617.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 211
  • 20180802_155745.jpg
    20180802_155745.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 206
On my new splitter I think the engine should be ok. It’s more forward than where my last splitter had it but at the expense of soo much weight on the tongue of this splitter. I swear the tongue must weight 200 pounds or close to it! There’s no leg under the splitter to keep it from upending when I put a big heavy log on it and it doesn't need one. I can put a big heavy log on it and lean on it with a lot of my weight and it still won’t upend. I might have to put a tongue jack on it since I have a hell of a time lifting it onto my ATV’s ball hitch. Moving the wedge all the way out helps some.
On a another note, I’m sure many of you have noticed that many splitters seem to be made from the same maker, my Forest King splitter is just like the Black Diamond splitters I’ve seen right down to the colors. It’s like many other things that are made by one or two makers but have many different names on them.

Last edited:
On my new splitter I think the engine should be ok. It’s more forward than where my last splitter had it but at the expense of soo much weight on the tongue of this splitter. I swear the tongue must weight 200 pounds or close to it! There’s no leg under the splitter to keep it from upending when I put a big heavy log on it and it doesn't need one. I can put a big heavy log on it and lean on it with a lot of my weight and it still won’t upend. I might have to put a tongue jack on it since I have a hell of a time lifting it onto my ATV’s ball hitch. Moving the wedge all the way out helps some.

***On a another note, I’m sure many of you have noticed that many splitter seem to be made from the same maker, my Forest King splitter is just like the Black Diamond splitters I’ve seen right down to the colors. It’s like many other things that are made by one or two makers but have many different names on them.***

*** I agree. My understanding is that a retailer will spec something others don't have. HD has the larger engine, + 8cc?, muffler position, some have one or two log catchers, valve on top v on side, filter v no filter, reservoir breather cap v plug, sightglass, tongue and/or beam leg, etcetera....

*** I agree. My understanding is that a retailer will spec something others don't have. HD has the larger engine, + 8cc?, muffler position, some have one or two log catchers, valve on top v on side, filter v no filter, reservoir breather cap v plug, sightglass, tongue and/or beam leg, etcetera....
I don't know if you noticed or not but I believe those champion engines are honda clones or hondas just re-painted I'm pretty sure. Definitely not a Briggs designed engine and too quiet and setup much different. Also isn't a Tecumseh for the same reasons.

IDK. To me, it sounds and looks like a ca. 96 Briggs Industrial plus- non ohv. The tank gas cap looks like the EPA version of the predator 14hp engine. Definitely more quiet than some on the market and doesn't sound like it's going to fly apart at any minute.

IDK. To me, it sounds and looks like a ca. 96 Briggs Industrial plus- non ohv. The tank gas cap looks like the EPA version of the predator 14hp engine. Definitely more quiet than some on the market and doesn't sound like it's going to fly apart at any minute.
Yeah maybe, I know the Predator engines are Honda clones the parts for a few of the predator engines are almost identical.

Reactions: WiscWoody
Wow! This discussion just fot real. I have a lot of different configurations and setups to consider. I am no longer in a rush based on price. I want a good design with a quality engine. If it cost a few bucks more then so be it.

I’ve been happy with the Honda clone engines so far. I just wander if they have real shaft bearings instead of bushings but even if they have bushings they will most likely last many years, it’s not like I run my splitter as much as I do on my commercial mowers for the business anyways and if the engine goes out years down the road I can chuck another $100 predator or who ha on it and go on a cranking out the wonderful splits for our long cold winters here. I’d really like a real B&S Vangaurd engine on my splitter but I’m fine with what it has.... and right now I can’t remember the name of what it does have lol...;? :rolleyes:

I’ve been happy with the Honda clone engines so far. I just wander if they have real shaft bearings instead of bushings but even if they have bushings they will most likely last many years, it’s not like I run my splitter as much as I do on my commercial mowers for the business anyways and if the engine goes out years down the road I can chuck another $100 predator or who ha on it and go on a cranking out the wonderful splits for our long cold winters here. I’d really like a real B&S Vangaurd engine on my splitter but I’m fine with what it has.... and right now I can’t remember the name of what it does have lol...;? :rolleyes:
The Predator and Champion engines have real bearings at the crank and cast iron sleeves.

Reactions: Chas0218