Log splitter from big box store?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I love my DHT22... its awesome!

I think tomorrow I'm going to head to Lowes and pick up the DHT25 for $999. Also have a 10% off coupon, so good time to use it.

Next stop will be hounding the wood stackers on their storage methods. Might have to get out the saws and build me a little something :)

I think tomorrow I'm going to head to Lowes and pick up the DHT25 for $999. Also have a 10% off coupon, so good time to use it.

Next stop will be hounding the wood stackers on their storage methods. Might have to get out the saws and build me a little something :)

Great choice.... you cant go wrong with the 22 ton DHT.. i have the log cradle on both of mine and i have the 4 way wedge on the 22 ton.. makes quick work of the wood

I've had 2 problems with my DHT-22 so far, both resolveable with a wrench and a screwdriver and an hour of time. The first was hydraulic leaks because some joints weren't tightened up enough at assembly time. The second was that the carb float got stuck and never turned the gas off, perma-flooding the splitter. Disassembly didn't reveal why it got stuck, but it hasn't happened since.

Overall it's been awesome. I would definitely recommend the DHT-22 over the DHT-27 since it's the same machine with a smaller cylinder. (This means lower cycle time, and it has plenty of grunt with the smaller cylinder).

I don't think the 25 was around when I got mine.... it has a slightly larger cylinder and pump, but is a bit slower.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
After being here for a number of years and reading just about every thread in the gear section . . . I think it may be fair to say that it's really hard to go wrong with any wood splitter . . . since any wood splitter beats splitting a whole lot of wood by hand (or with a maul ;) ).

Sure some splitters can split faster . . . other splitters have more power . . . some have loads of features . . . some are stripped down. Some have had issues in the past . . . some have had no issues.

As for storage . . . I store my MTD splitter in my "winter storage" shed. I make sure to put in some fuel additive such as Star-Tron or other similar stabilizer before it goes into long term storage.

Reactions: kevin j and Dix
Great choice.... you cant go wrong with the 22 ton DHT.. i have the log cradle on both of mine and i have the 4 way wedge on the 22 ton.. makes quick work of the wood

I see you keep mentioning the 22-ton along with many others. A few references to the 27-ton too.

This one is a 25-ton however. Know much about this model? Hopefully it's not one of those "big box specials" that Tocramed mentioned before, where an item is made cheaper specifically to be more marketable at a big box store. Not hearing others mention this 25-ton version is a bit curious to me!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dirty-Hand-Tools-25-Ton-Gas-Log-Splitter/1000246151

I see you keep mentioning the 22-ton along with many others. A few references to the 27-ton too.

This one is a 25-ton however. Know much about this model? Hopefully it's not one of those "big box specials" that Tocramed mentioned before, where an item is made cheaper specifically to be more marketable at a big box store. Not hearing others mention this 25-ton version is a bit curious to me!

It wasn't an option 2 years ago when I researched DHT splitters. The specs say it has the same engine, a 15gpm pump (vs 13) and a slightly larger cylinder (4.33" x 24" vs 4" x 24") than the 22, making it just slightly slower.

If I could pick my own parts there, I'd take the big pump and the small cylinder and have a fast 22, but that's not a menu option. If I had to pick between the 22 and 25 right now, I'd lean slightly towards the 22, but it wouldn't be a strong preference. 25 has a little more oomph, 22 is a tiny bit faster.

Based on how little my 22 struggles with full load, I imagine that putting a 12% bigger pump on it (which is what the 25 is) will be ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: TreePointer
Cylinder size too big for the pump they're running. See my post #14, above.

Are you sure? Is the pump smaller than other brands or cylinder larger than others? I thought they used the same 11gpm pump and wouldn't think they would use a bigger cylinder. I haven't gone digging for specs though...

Just make sure you can add the accessories you want to it and you will probably be fine. I wanted the cradle, 4 way wedge, and stroke reducer. The Lowes 22 ton splitter couldn't take some of these. I didn't know until I called DHT and asked why Lowes had a different part number.

It wasn't an option 2 years ago when I researched DHT splitters. The specs say it has the same engine, a 15gpm pump (vs 13) and a slightly larger cylinder (4.33" x 24" vs 4" x 24") than the 22, making it just slightly slower.

If I could pick my own parts there, I'd take the big pump and the small cylinder and have a fast 22, but that's not a menu option. If I had to pick between the 22 and 25 right now, I'd lean slightly towards the 22, but it wouldn't be a strong preference. 25 has a little more oomph, 22 is a tiny bit faster.

Based on how little my 22 struggles with full load, I imagine that putting a 12% bigger pump on it (which is what the 25 is) will be ok.
If they have the same engine, I'd buy the 22-ton, and swap the 13 GPM pump up to a 16 GPM. Note, you need a 300 cc motor to effectively drive a 16 GPM pump. Pumps are cheaper and easier to swap than cylinders.

I've never seen a 15 GPM pump... that's an odd-ball, in the hydro pump world. I almost wonder if they're over-rev'ing a smaller pump, and stamping their own rating on it.

edit: nevermind! I see it has a little 196cc motor. No way you're going to be happy with that little thing driving much more than 11 - 13 GPM. It's just too small for the job. And before you ask, yes... I have PERSONALLY tried running a 16 GPM pump on a 190cc engine.

Last edited:
For my money, I would rule the Troy-bilt out. Slower cycle time. Smaller engine (even though it's a Honda). I would probably bite on the. Champion before the Dirty Hands. It's got the log catcher/cradle which is a nice plus. The engine is described as OEM branded. Not sure exactly what that means, but all these engines are made in china now days anyway, so I'm not sure it really matters. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brave 34 ton with Honda 9 hp,10 years old has split hundreds of cords ,nothing yet it can't handle. Cycles plenty fast for me.Replaced hand valve last year Brave shipped the part the next day.I run only Amsoil synthetic oil in it and change after 40 hrs splitting.Change hydraulic oil filter once a year ,runs like new.Best thing about this splitter no matter the temp one pull starts.

I've never seen a 15 GPM pump... that's an odd-ball, in the hydro pump world. I almost wonder if they're over-rev'ing a smaller pump, and stamping their own rating on it.

edit: nevermind! I see it has a little 196cc motor. No way you're going to be happy with that little thing driving much more than 11 - 13 GPM. It's just too small for the job. And before you ask, yes... I have PERSONALLY tried running a 16 GPM pump on a 190cc engine.

The DHT-22 has a 13 GPM pump and the same kohler 6.5hp engine, and it seems like it has some power to spare.

The 25 has an odd 4.3" cylinder, too; don't think I've seen that elsewhere.

Either way, hopefully we'll get a field report on how well the 25 works here.

Either way, hopefully we'll get a field report on how well the 25 works here.
Field reports from those with only one splitter, and no perspective for comparison to something better, don't count.

The only way a 190cc engine (Kohler, Honda, or lowly Briggs) can spin a 15 GPM pump is if that pump is tripping into low-speed at a fairly low pressure set point. Meaning, that splitter might have a half respectible unloaded cycle time, but is going to be stupid slow as soon as you put the wedge to wood.

Remember, all of these hydro pumps are dual stage, with two parallel circuits. The higher flow circuit goes into bypass at a pre-set pressure point, leaving only the lower flow circuit operating. The only way to extend the capacity of a motor that small up into 15 GPM land, is to lower that trip point. A typical 16 GPM pump drops to 5 GPM, as soon as you hit the bypass pressure, and that's got to be where any splitter pushing 15 GPM on 190cc is going to run a large fraction of the time.

Last edited:
Field reports from those with only one splitter, and no perspective for comparison to something better, don't count.

The only way a 190cc engine (Kohler, Honda, or lowly Briggs) can spin a 15 GPM pump is if that pump is tripping into low-speed at a fairly low pressure set point. Meaning, that splitter might have a half respectible unloaded cycle time, but is going to be stupid slow as soon as you put the wedge to wood.

Remember, all of these hydro pumps are dual stage, with two parallel circuits. The higher flow circuit goes into bypass at a pre-set pressure point, leaving only the lower flow circuit operating. The only way to extend the capacity of a motor that small up into 15 GPM land, is to lower that trip point. A typical 16 GPM pump drops to 5 GPM, as soon as you hit the bypass pressure, and that's got to be where any splitter pushing 15 GPM on 190cc is going to run a large fraction of the time.

As Ashful has stated, it's all relative. Best I can do is shoot a video and let the experienced assess from the specs combined with the visual information I can provide.

I did pick it up today, so if time permits, I'll get out there later and give her a whirl. 30-day return policy, so I have some time to play around with it.

As Ashful has stated, it's all relative. Best I can do is shoot a video and let the experienced assess from the specs combined with the visual information I can provide.

I couldn't help but read it as "experienced asses", the first time through. ;-)

I ran my splitter with a 16 GPM pump on a 190cc engine once, as I received the pump a few weeks before the larger engine arrived. It was painful, but I may be less patient than most.

I couldn't help but read it as "experienced asses", the first time through. ;-)

I ran my splitter with a 16 GPM pump on a 190cc engine once, as I received the pump a few weeks before the larger engine arrived. It was painful, but I may be less patient than most.

Let's assess.

1) Your truck doesn't hold enough wood. You need:
A) To reduce wood consumption.
B) Two trips.
C) A giant trailer with a large winch to supplement the front end loader.

2) Your house is a little too cold. You need:
A) Insulation.
B) Windows and doors.
C) MOAR STOVES.

3) Your splitter is getting old. You should:
A) Start splitting more by hand; it's like a free gym membership!
B) Patch it up and keep it going.
C) Repair it by replacing every component. Buy them all from the 'Hot Rod Racing Splitters' catalog.

Give yourself two Patience Points for every "A", one Patience Point for every "B", and zero for every "C". ;)

Alarmingly, it appears that Cool Points have an inverse relationship with Patience Points. :(

You've been paying attention! ;lol

Did I tell you I do light limbing work with an 064 AV? ::-)

I would go with the splitter you can get optional parts. You will like a log table and when you are old like me a log lifter.
P1010634.jpg

You've been paying attention! ;lol

Did I tell you I do light limbing work with an 064 AV? ::-)

My "big" saw is a 64cc....

What was the power output of that 196cc engine? The dht-22 has a 6.5HP@3600 Kohler... not all 196cc engines make that much power. My 13gpm pump doesn't seem to tax the Kohler overly, though I didn't even know the pump had a high speed and a low speed.

If the 15gpm pump makes the Kohler struggle, maybe it's close enough that you can make up the difference with exhaust/intake mods and carb twiddles.

Last edited:
My "big" saw is a 64cc....
The 064 AV is 85cc. ::-)

What was the power output of that 196cc engine? The dht-22 has a 6.5HP@3600 Kohler... not all 196cc engines make that much power.
True. My 190cc engine was a flat head, and I think that Kohler is OHV, so there will be some difference in HP. Likely not enough to make up for the extra 100cc normally recommended to drive a 16 GPM pump, but definitely better than what I had, at the time.

My 13gpm pump doesn't seem to tax the Kohler overly, though I didn't even know the pump had a high speed and a low speed.
Actually, it's probably a decent match to a 13 GPM pump. Remember I was stating it would not be enough for 15 - 16 GPM, refuting my own initial recommendation to upgrade the slower machine to that larger pump.

If the 15gpm pump makes the Kohler struggle, maybe it's close enough that you can make up the difference with exhaust/intake mods and carb twiddles.
There's no replacement for displacement.

oem branded just means who ever gave them the lowest bid. like john deere tractors at home depot are just b and s with green covers. had them and teck engines on my snowblower and gen, alot of work to keep up on, they both crap up from sitting easy, i use stabil all the time didnt seem to matter till i got a honda 10hp for my splitter and a kohler tractor and now nothing but working well. i run the wood splitter about half throttle through most anything saves gas and noise( maybe a quarter of what was on there) over 18in or so i will put it back to 3/4. you can only use so must speed if you cant beat it back lifting a log on there whats the point. but starting super easy everytime even after sitting forever as these do is alot more important to me