Log splitter from big box store?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Can any splitter run atf or the thin hydro oil? I am using TSC hydraulic fluid, ?40?. If I run atf will that speed things up?

Can any splitter run atf or the thin hydro oil? I am using TSC hydraulic fluid, ?40?. If I run atf will that speed things up?

Modern splitter manuals usually specify something around 20 weight hydraulic fluid. ISO46 is essentially an equivalent. Regarding ATF, most splitter manuals actually specify ATF as an option for cold weather operation.

Last edited:
Reactions: kevin j and Ashful
Stopped in to TSC today and snapped a few photo of the "fast models", the 40 was not available at this location. One thing I noticed USA the 30 lifts the wheels off the ground when the beam is vertical. And, in the vertical position, both models kink the return hose, I'm not sure if it is design or the assembly.

Attachments

• IMG_5438.JPG
    IMG_5438.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 288
Reactions: TreePointer
Stopped in to TSC today and snapped a few photo of the "fast models", the 40 was not available at this location. One thing I noticed USA the 30 lifts the wheels off the ground when the beam is vertical. And, in the vertical position, both models kink the return hose, I'm not sure if it is design or the assembly.

D'oh! Although a longer hose or a straight fitting instead of a "45" would probably prevent the collapse, it's likely the assembler (TSC employee) didn't bother to test the hose/fitting orientation it in both vertical & horizontal positions. I've seen that at more than one TSC over the years.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirginiaIron

I'm surprised nobody seemed to give a hoot that the display model had kinked hoses.

Or are you the one who switched the machine to vertical and discovered the kinked/tight hoses?

I've seen worse. A few years ago, a local TSC hall all models displayed in the vertical position with kinked hoses. Every single one of them! I told them about it, and that all they had to do was loosen the swivel adapter and spin the hose until the kink is gone. It takes two open ended wrenches, and it's not a messy job at all.

Last edited:
My Champion was built that way too...a couple minutes with a wrench and problem solved...dang store assembly kids...

I'm surprised nobody seemed to give a hoot that the display model had kinked hoses.

Or are you the one who switched the machine to vertical and discovered the kinked/tight hoses?
These two units were displayed vertically. what is surprising is these hoses are a lower psi than the others- since there should be no significant restrictions through the filter. I wonder if this hose is a regular non-wire reinforced hose.

These two units were displayed vertically. what is surprising is these hoses are a lower psi than the others- since there should be no significant restrictions through the filter. I wonder if this hose is a regular non-wire reinforced hose.
Probably, mine is just held on by hose clamp

I've seen worse. A few years ago, a local TSC hall all models displayed in the vertical position with kinked hoses. Every single one of them! I told them about it, and that all they had to do was loosen the swivel adapter and spin the hose until the kink is gone. It takes two open ended wrenches, and it's not a messy job at all.

I will say I’ve bought more equipment at TSC than most, and I have never had a single item that didn’t have at least one assembly error. In one case, it was bone dry axle bearings, which I found after towing it home, so back to the store it went!

I fought for a long time with one TSC store about this, telling them I’d only buy their equipment if I could have it unassembled, and they refused. Luckily, they built another store a town away, and they let me take stuff in the crate from that store.

I have a 22 ton splitter I got from Menards for $600 on a Black Friday a few years back. It’s not fancy, I have my own table I put by it for big halves to fall on and split again and it’s not the fastest splitter around but for the price it does ok by me. The only logs I had a hard time with were some big Elm rounds. I split some more Elm this summer and it worked fine this time though.

Now, I seem to split more big and gnarly stuff than most I've seen here (Jags' extreme elm example withheld),

For the record - that was a hackberry.;)

One note on speed (or opinion in this case) - Some care, some don't. Not sure why, there is no downside to a faster cycle time. For me the push speed isn't quite as important as the return speed. I find it annoying to wait for the return stroke on splits or rounds that require multiple strokes.

same here but the only way to decrease return time is bigger ports and related circuit constrictions or a second splitter;)

Don't forget about the pump. Just like Ashful did with his hot rod upgrade on his splitter. Mo GPM = mo faster (in both directions).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
same here but the only way to decrease return time is bigger ports and related circuit constrictions or a second splitter;)

There are situations where this statement holds true, but based on Jags’ other recent thread, let’s not ignore the reason for it.

A given pump will always deliver nearly it’s rated GPM, as long as spindle speed is maintained, up to the pressure at which the bypass on the high volume loop trips and it one-legs on its low volume loop. Meaning, your return time will not be affected by port size, IF you can maintain pump RPM. However, those small ports may cause a drop in engine RPM, and this is sometimes surprisingly pronounced on the return stroke. Like anything, the system is only as strong (or fast) as it’s weakest link.

Last edited:
I've had my Troybilt 27 ton with the Honda engine for a long time now, jeez it must be 10 years old I'd say. If it finally ever gives out I would replace it with one that had a faster cycle time, but I will say that I am amazed with the Honda engine. It can sit and not run all summer, I can then roll it out of the shed in September, put gas in it, pull the cord twice and it starts, every single time. I have been hearing good things about the Dirty Hand Tools though.

Reactions: TreePointer
I've had my Troybilt 27 ton with the Honda engine for a long time now, jeez it must be 10 years old I'd say. If it finally ever gives out I would replace it with one that had a faster cycle time, but I will say that I am amazed with the Honda engine. It can sit and not run all summer, I can then roll it out of the shed in September, put gas in it, pull the cord twice and it starts, every single time.
I'll be honest with you, I've always been a big proponent of Honda and Subaru engines, myself. But then again, I also own Briggs, Tecumseh, Kohler, and Kawasaki powered outdoor equipment, and haven't found any of them to be less reliable. Well, one exception... the Kohler experienced three broken fuel tank fittings in three years, but I eventually found the reason for that, and that was a ca.1966 Kohler K301AS.

We live in an age where reliability of our equipment is surprisingly good, even though most of it is built frighteningly cheaply. We no longer rebuild carburetors, but we can flat out replace them for under $30.

I would prefer the hitch on the other end. But that layout might be preferred if you can get the splits to push right up into your still-attached tow vehicle.

I do prefer the 37 ton- full beam product and for the money I think this is a better choice than the $1k tsc unit.
https://www.ruggedmade.com/log-spli...-lift-48-563-322-rt06pc-13-225-150-ll-ct.html

Any thoughts?
That machine has some pretty impressive spec’s. But for me, I’d really only consider a 37 ton machine if I had plans to “downgrade” the cylinder from 5” to 4”, for faster cycle times. Their 37 ton machines come with a 22 GPM pump, which is way better than many competitors that only give you 16 GPM, so their cycle times aren’t all that bad. But keep in mind that this 22 GPM pump would give 6 second cycle times on a 4” x 24” cylinder, if you had such a cylinder made with 5/8” ports.

22-ton pro’s:
- typically faster cycle times
- plenty strong enough for 99.99% of everything I’ve ever tried to split
- easier to move around by hand
- typically less expensive

37-ton pro’s:
- splitting the few rounds per decade that my 22 ton balked at
- bragging rights (“mine is bigger than yours” BS)

I don’t mind noodling the one round (if that) per year, that my 22-ton machine can’t split. Or put otherwise, if you run into much stuff you can’t split with 22 tons of force, you need to find a better wood supply.

I won’t deny the “fun factor” of running bigger machines, but both of these are so small that they don’t really register, there. These ain’t 100 HP wood processors.

Last edited:
I just bought a DHT 22 ton splitter on Ebay , $829 and free shipping.
I've had the predator 20 ton splitter for three years and it plows through anything I've thrown at it, but I scrounge way too many monster trees and I really want the ability to split vertically, instead of using a ramp to get them up on the beam

*I cheat, chain/ strap/ tongs around the round hooked on the other end to the bucket on tractor, or if at shop the forklift. not quite as nice as a lift right on the splitter but it gets it done. Course with either of the two mentioned i do not have to muscle/ maneuver much around.

I just bought a DHT 22 ton splitter on Ebay , $829 and free shipping.
I've had the predator 20 ton splitter for three years and it plows through anything I've thrown at it, but I scrounge way too many monster trees and I really want the ability to split vertically, instead of using a ramp to get them up on the beam

The free shipping is nice. The shipping adds considerably to the final cost.

That machine has some pretty impressive spec’s. But for me, I’d really only consider a 37 ton machine if I had plans to “downgrade” the cylinder from 5” to 4”, for faster cycle times. Their 37 ton machines come with a 22 GPM pump, which is way better than many competitors that only give you 16 GPM, so their cycle times aren’t all that bad. But keep in mind that this 22 GPM pump would give 6 second cycle times on a 4” x 24” cylinder, if you had such a cylinder made with 5/8” ports.

22-ton pro’s:
- typically faster cycle times
- plenty strong enough for 99.99% of everything I’ve ever tried to split
- easier to move around by hand
- typically less expensive

37-ton pro’s:
- splitting the few rounds per decade that my 22 ton balked at
- bragging rights (“mine is bigger than yours” BS)

I don’t mind noodling the one round (if that) per year, that my 22-ton machine can’t split. Or put otherwise, if you run into much stuff you can’t split with 22 tons of force, you need to find a better wood supply.

I won’t deny the “fun factor” of running bigger machines, but both of these are so small that they don’t really register, there. These ain’t 100 HP wood processors.
Who has the 37 ton machine with a 22gpm pump? I know someone here had the same 37 ton Menards splitter I bought last Black Friday, maybe it was VirginiaIron? Anyways those splitters have a 17gpm pump and the relief is set at 3800psi... And I might get a 4" cylinder for it in the next year or so. I don’t know yet... I haven’t even put a hour on the splitter yet as all of my splitting it in the spring or early summer.