Log Splitter Choices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pullypam

Apr 28, 2018
I'm just getting into woodburning as I'm building a house with an EPA fireplace. I've been log splitter shopping and I've seen a few interesting options:
1. Used Barreto 20 ton (E920LSHX) coming off rental at Home Depot for $1426
2. Used 2010 Power Tek 516VR 20 ton, previous rental for $1199
3. New Yard Max 25 ton for $899, already assembled at the local True Value
4. New Dirty Hand Tools 22 ton for $899 online
5. New Ariens 22 ton from someone on Craigslist for $950
6. Other suggestions?

I'm new to this so should I rent first??

I'll be splitting mostly oak and hickory.

Thanks, Mike

Last edited:
Look for one with a genuine Honda engine on it,and a cylinder made in USA

I love my Ariens 22 ton. Splits everything and light enough to move around by hand. Has some nice extras too. Center control, log cradles, engine mounted away from falling splits, a fold out plate at the rear to stabilize the machine when splitting vertical, angled wedge. Also made in USA (except Subaru engine.) Very fuel efficient.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Get the DHT or CountyLine with a cycle time no greater than 11 seconds and fits your budget. Honda engine is a plus but not necessary.

Thanks all. My wife convinced to rent first and buy one down the line.

My thought process on the matter was that I don't have a full day (with all of the kids stuff) typically that I can dedicate to splitting firewood. So I would have to rent for at least 2-3 full days per year at $100 per rental. I would also feel obligated to use the machine the entire time which would wear me out.

My justification to simply buy one was that I would pay about the same amount of money in 3 years. This also affords me the time to split for an hour here or there making the experience enjoyable. TSC had the Countyline 25 ton, fast splitter on sale last month for $849 and I bought it. It has split everything for me so far and I have had a ton of large diam rounds.

Some places have a weekend rate..

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Very true. For me, I am lucky to get all the regular yard work done on 1 of the two days over the weekend. For me and my situation (young kids in sports) I need to work a couple of hours in the evening during the week to keep up. For me, owning one seemed to make the most sense.

I am hoping to lend my splitter out and maybe have my buddies donate some beer or money for the favor!

My justification to simply buy one was that I would pay about the same amount of money in 3 years. This also affords me the time to split for an hour here or there making the experience enjoyable. TSC had the Countyline 25 ton, fast splitter on sale last month for $849 and I bought it. It has split everything for me so far and I have had a ton of large diam rounds.
I agree with this. We got one on Veterans Day with an additional 15% off for military vets, so it was even cheaper. This thing is a beast. Its tough, strong and FAST. So much easier to split for an hour or two when you have time, rather than rushing to split as much as you can quickly because you are paying a rental fee. If you are splitting consistently, or planning to heat with wood throughout the winter, you should buy. I love my Countyline 25 ton!