Fast cycle vertical splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm not sure if it will make a difference or not, but it can't hurt!

So what exactly is your plan? You have a 1/2" metal pipe that might have a 0.406", to be replaced with a -10(5/8") pipe that appears to be somewhere around 0.500" ID?

What is the plan for the existing elbows? Remove and replace with the 1/2" NPT x jic 10?

Yep, that's exactly it. I found Surplus Center had 1/2" NPT X 10 JIC elbows, and ordered them last night. Next time I need something from McMaster-Carr, I'll add some 5/8" steel tube and a pair of #10 JIC nuts to the order. No rush, I won't even have the throttle parts until early next week.

edit: I might have to rethink McMaster. Their #10 tubing is all 2000 psi or less.

Reactions: Highbeam
Hey, Highbeam (and anyone else still listening). I got the JIC-10 x 3/4" NPT elbows for the cylinder ports the other day, and had a chance to measure them tonight. Their bore at the JIC-10 end is 0.49", so I can only imagine how small the original JIC-8's must be.

Steel 5/8" hydraulic tubing and nuts on order. Forgot to check that I have a working bender for 5/8" OD, and that my flaring tools have that diameter, but I think I should be good. Going to replicate the original jogged pipe scheme, albeit with less jog, in 5/8" tube.

Would it have been easier to get a piece of hydro hose made up?

Probably, but assuming there's some good reason that the OEM used steel, I wanted to stick with that design. I don't believe it was solely a cost-based decision, as both options cost about the same in low quantity, after figuring in a little labor to bend and flare the steel.

Steel definitely appears more industrial so maybe it's just for appearances.

I bet that length weighs less than a piece of hose- saves money on shipping.

Judging by your system photos I think the only real advantage to the tube would be heat dissipation of the oil. I know the valve is rigidly mounted to the cylinder but I think that design is an Achilles heal since the operator is always operating the valve. Isn't the tubing more inconvenient since you cant use it until you get the pipe?

Isn't the tubing more inconvenient since you cant use it until you get the pipe?
What do you mean? I'll have all the parts tomorrow, except the throttle plate for the engine, which has been on backorder thru Briggs for several weeks, now.

Okay, final tally, for anyone who wants to repeat. I make no warranty about the safety or suitability of this, nor am I recommending anyone do it, this is just an accounting of what I did.

Engine was upgraded from original 190cc Briggs 675e to a 344cc Briggs Intek 21R707-0079-F1. This engine is total overkill, but it's the only vertical shaft engine over 275cc that I found with on-board fuel tank and electric start, which would fit on this splitter. Only required mod's were drilling the new bolt pattern and swapping the lovejoy coupling for the new shaft diameter. Shaft length was the same as the OEM motor, so it mated right up to the stock pump mount.

Pump was upgraded from 11 GPM to 16 GPM... after all, that was the whole point of this exercise.

Line from valve to top of cylinder was upgraded from 1/2" OD hard line to 5/8" hydraulic hose with SAE-10 fittings. Part of this was updating the 1/2" NPT x SAE-8 elbows to SAE-10. Return line and fitting also upgraded, as already outlined above, in detail.

Finally, electric start was added. I found the larger pump created enough load on that big motor that it was pretty hard to pull over in warm weather, and I figured it would be just about impossible to start in cold weather. I spent a while thinking about how to add a starter battery (group U1) to the splitter, and finally realized I really don't need a battery. Instead, I'll start it off the tractor battery, since I always have the tractor with me when splitting. I made up a cord with a forklift style battery plug, to connect the splitter to the tractor. One advantage is that I had to add a key switch, which gives some level of safety, since the splitter sits outside.

I posted photos of pump and motor above, so these pictures just show the solenoid, key switch, and wiring for electric start. I need to order some grommets, so I can clean up the wiring a bit, but it's working as is.

Cord and tractor will be used for the first cold start. After that, warm re-starts are easy enough with the rip cord.

IMG_3685.JPG IMG_3683.JPG IMG_3681.JPG

Last edited:
So what's the new cycle time?

Reactions: Lone_Gun
So what's the new cycle time?

Well, that depends on how it's measured. It's 45% faster than it was, so if you believe the originally listed cycle time...

My goal started at 100% faster (I.e. half cycle time), but the port size on the cylinder prevented that, and I never found a 4" cylinder with 3/4" NPT (or SAE-10) ports. So, 16 GPM / 11 GPM = 145%.

I tried measuring the OEM cycle time before mods, and never got the OEM number, so I gave up on trying to measure cycle time. Best I can tell, it's close to 8 seconds for the full 48" of travel.

Well, that depends on how it's measured. It's 45% faster than it was, so if you believe the originally listed cycle time...

My goal started at 100% faster (I.e. half cycle time), but the port size on the cylinder prevented that, and I never found a 4" cylinder with 3/4" NPT (or SAE-10) ports. So, 16 GPM / 11 GPM = 145%.

I tried measuring the OEM cycle time before mods, and never got the OEM number, so I gave up on trying to measure cycle time. Best I can tell, it's close to 8 seconds for the full 48" of travel.

Do you have a video of that BEAST devouring you rounds?

Nope! My hands are so busy wrangling rounds, keeping up with this splitter, how would I hold the camera? [emoji14]

So you're typing with your nose? That sounds interesting. Send us a video!

Send us a video..., Send us a video..!

Can we even upload videos to hearth? I'm not about to sign up for a YouTube account for you!

The video wouldn't be very exciting. Just like any other Huskee/Speeco 22-ton splitter, but faster. It went from "painfully slow" to just "regular slow".

The video wouldn't be very exciting. Just like any other Huskee/Speeco 22-ton splitter, but faster. It went from "painfully slow" to just "regular slow".

Wait a minute here....

First we are led to believe your hands are flying so fast just to keep up with the modded super fast splitter that you can't even take a video, now we are told it's only gone from painfully slow to "regular slow". :mad:

What's that saying? A video or it didn't happen? _g

I doubt I'll get to making a video. Sorry to disappoint.

Can we even upload videos to hearth? I'm not about to sign up for a YouTube account for you!

I don't think we can, but a Vimeo account was quick and painless for me- then imbed the link in your post.
I cannot begin to number the amount of log splitter videos I have watched (& still watch) for technical ideas in methodology and approach or equipment design. [EDIT- This is how I decided I did not want to split very large rounds elevated from the ground.] Some might find it boring but I did not. Anyway, I am glad your project is finished, good luck and maybe someone here can benefit from your path.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
You got a new profile picture!

That is a serious tree. I think I would skip the splitter and the chainsaw and go straight to the dynamite for that puppy.... :)
Lol, I just realized you were talking to me. You talkin' to me..? I know, it is a huge tree. I was so impressed with the size of that beast I attempted to insert my splitter image but failed.

I doubt I'll get to making a video. Sorry to disappoint.
No disappointments, life is light and easy. I was, however, looking forward to seeing your project in action. I'll go go back to the computer after the kids are asleep.
Slow and steady saves our fingers and your back- it always finishes first.