Fast cycle vertical splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This is somewhat of the vision I had when you were in R&D, but handling larger/longer rounds.

Reactions: Ashful
I like the ding it makes when it bottoms out on the self sharpening wedge.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
This guy has about a 6 second cycle time with his original cylinder. He is using a Duramax 16 hp engine and a Haldex 25 gpm pump. He replaced the older cylinder due to leaks but still has a 10.5 cycle. Very impressive but the galvanized fittings concern me.

He needs a log lift....!

He must be in the habit of cranking up the bypass

Here I is a pretty fast verticle splitter

As a general observation I would put my hand, foot, or knee in the vicinity of the round. Also, after the repeated failed attempts, I would be looking at my gage pressure to determine if it is my unit or some really extra tough stuff.

Last edited:
Here I is a pretty fast verticle splitter

As a general observation I would put my hand, foot, or knee in the vicinity of the round. Also, after the repeated failed attempts, I would be looking at my gage pressure to determine if it is my unit or some really extra tough stuff.

He could help himself out a lot by simply laying down a round something or other (4" stick a few feet long) crosswise a foot or so in front of the splitter foot. When he tips the round up it will lean up and over right in against the beam, and also it is easier to spin the round around on, than the ground.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
It has speed, I will give him that, but it sounds like he has too large of a pump for the engine. Even during the retract the engine is pulling down the RPM.

I don’t know what to think about the splitting methods being used. Not for me...and I deal with big rounds pretty consistently.

He could help himself out a lot by simply laying down a round something or other (4" stick a few feet long) crosswise a foot or so in front of the splitter foot. When he tips the round up it will lean up and over right in against the beam, and also it is easier to spin the round around on, than the ground.

I saw this on another video and thought how simple that was.

It has speed, I will give him that, but it sounds like he has too large of a pump for the engine. Even during the retract the engine is pulling down the RPM.

I don’t know what to think about the splitting methods being used. Not for me...and I deal with big rounds pretty consistently.
Me either. He needs a stripper. I watched one group roll the round down hill onto a ramp..... Log lift, log lift...!

Mine is at least as fast as that, but being on a commercial platform, things like better valve placement and a stripper have already been engineered into it for me.

Yes, that motor is too small for his pump. I have the opposite problem, my motor is about 30% larger (and louder) than it needs to be, but it's all I could find that fit on the chassis without major mod's.

That splitter may have a faster cycle but everything else looked like a disaster . Being bent over, on my knees, and struggling to move the rounds on the ground would just about kill me.

Reactions: Ashful
That splitter may have a faster cycle but everything else looked like a disaster . Being bent over, on my knees, and struggling to move the rounds on the ground would just about kill me.
To each their own. Some of the older members on this forum have claimed they will ONLY split vertical, as their backs can't handle working it horizontal. Those guys sit on a stump while splitting, and have developed ways of moving the rounds with exerting less effort.

I think I'm one of those old guys pushing 73. I split vertical but at waist height with a log lift.
big lift (Small).jpg

I think I'm one of those old guys pushing 73. I split vertical but at waist height with a log lift.
View attachment 222290

It looks real sturdy. I like the design and the table space surrounding it. A smooth table for easy movement of the rounds.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
View attachment 222290

You are my hero, triptester. I hope I’m still energetic enough to be doing this thru my 70’s.

If I recall, from a post last year, you build these rigs yourself? I remember seeing three of them, all similar, but each a little different.

Triptester - if I were to build another splitter I think it would be of that basic design. I like the ergonomics.