What do you all think ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowow

Nov 27, 2013
Chbg pa
Second year with my wood stove in my masonry fireplace. I've put in a flex ss liner and a block off plate as of this year. Stove is a defender by vogelzang. Stove is In8-900 sq ft insulated basement. Upstairs is the same sq ft. So 1600-1800 sq ft. Wondering if I broke up the hearth and moved the stove into the room more If I could get more heat from it? May be a silly question just trying to heat better.

I think the only way to get the real heat to the main floor is to put the stove there. Centrally locating it downstairs may help, but I doubt it would be a significant change.

So you're looking to move the heat around more in the basement? Have you tried using fans to move the air?

Trying to get it warmer. Usually have to run couple electric oil filled heaters to get temp up. Im using seasoned wood. Stove top temp ranges from 300-500 most of time I'm home. I feel like the fireplace is sucking heat up from stove

The problem you're most likely having is fighting the heats natural course of rising, instead of moving horizontally to the other areas of the basement. I'm not familiar with that stove, but did see it's rated for 1,200 sq ft which is obviously quite a bit less than the 1600-1800 that you have. You could try to get the initial temps higher before kicking the air down - that should help warming the space, but obviously will affect burn time.

I'm debating going with a larger stove. I like the nc 30 but I really don't want to overheat the basement

I would try hitting higher stovetop temps with what you have now, and see if that makes a difference.

Good suggestion. If the basement is cooling down during the daytime when no one is home it is going to take a while to warm up because you're not just warming up the air. You are warming up the walls, the floor, the ceiling joists, furniture etc.. Try running the stove in the 400-650F range for a while. That should speed up warming.

Status
Not open for further replies.