What do you guys look for on the bag before you buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pelletnewbie92

Jun 1, 2020
New York
Hi all,

I'm a newbie user of pellets and I'm trying to work out what to look for on the bag. Do you guys care about things like the PFI label and the numbers in it? Or do you look more at the numbers from the manufacturers themselves? Or do you guys not really read any of the bag and just base your decision on what you've used before? If there is one or two things you always look for, what would they be?

Thanks all, just trying to find the best pellets out there!

Reactions: VintageGal
I like them to be without holes in them. I have tried 3 different pellets. No Difference at all. Ash or Heat Output. I just get what is in stock. North Idaho Energy Logs pellets.

They have double wrapping on the pallet. I don't buy single bags, but by the Ton. 199 plus 40 delivery for all I want.

This year only buying 3 tons, I have 2 tons sitting from last year. (use about 3.5 tons so far each year).

Harmon XXV put in place 2018. Not the TC Model (Floor Model). Chews thru even the decomposed pellets that get wet and dry out. It does not care about Brand

There’s a label? Seriously, they almost all say “premium” on the bag and I can’t recall ever looking for any rating. I like what my stove likes and all pellets produce heat and ash in varying quantities so mostly in comes down to price for me.

There are usually some specs like ash, moisture, fines. Just general figures that the manufacturer comes up with.

One winter I took pictures of every different pellet bag I came across. None (as listed) had as low of ash as my pro pellets.

I like them to be without holes in them. I have tried 3 different pellets. No Difference at all. Ash or Heat Output. I just get what is in stock. North Idaho Energy Logs pellets.

They have double wrapping on the pallet. I don't buy single bags, but by the Ton. 199 plus 40 delivery for all I want.

This year only buying 3 tons, I have 2 tons sitting from last year. (use about 3.5 tons so far each year).

Harmon XXV put in place 2018. Not the TC Model (Floor Model). Chews thru even the decomposed pellets that get wet and dry out. It does not care about Brand

+1 and no holes in the individual bags. I buy by the ton as well. I want them on decent pallets covered with a plastic bag and shrink wrapped. Other than that, my stove eats everything.

My opinion is the PFI was bought off by the producers so I don't pay any attention to if they are certified or not. I believe so long as the producers bankroll the PFI, they will endorse that manufacturer whether their pellets are good or junk makes no difference. Money talks and consumers pay.

Before I buy a ton or more of a new pellet I buy 4 or 5 bags and try
them heat, ash, how dirty, the stove gets. then I buy the best that I can afford
Now I only buy Cubix works the best for me. Most people here have a favorite
but you have to find the one that works for you.

Reactions: jackhammer
...and pellets are pretty much regional so what you can get out east, I cannot get here in the midwest. I've never seen Cubix.

Thanks all, this makes sense. Any particular brand you suggest I buy? I'm based in Western Mass.
Northern Luazon has treated me very well. What is your stove? Some stoves deal better with hardwoods than soft woods. Right now I am burning pacific hardwoods because my local dealer for Northerns is not very accomodating. I have a drop feed Enviro Mini A. If you have a Harman, hit up a HD for Fireside Ultra... they have been a perennial good cheap pellet.

Reactions: johneh
Thanks all, this makes sense. Any particular brand you suggest I buy? I'm based in Western Mass.
I’m in Brimfield. I get my pellets from Squire Lumber in Monson. They have a good selection, fair price if you don’t want big box store pellets. My preferred pellet now is Vermont’s. About $300 per ton. I’d recommend buying 10 bags of a few different kinds and seeing what you prefer heat and ash wise. It does come down to price though. I like the vermonts because I don’t have to clean my stove as often. They do have cheaper pellets, this will be my second year with this brand. If you talk to Chris, he is very knowledgeable.

Guess I'm lucky that my stove eats anything I put in it so brand don't matter and neither does content. Softwood, hardwood or whatever, it all gets roasted and far as cleaning it, I have a cleaning regimen I stick to no matter what I'm roasting. My regimen and yours probably differs because I run shelled corn and pellets together.

I'd run straight corn which I prefer but straight corn gives me a hard clinker issue so the pellets mitigate that but still gives me the increased BTU production that only shelled corn can make.

I don't pay much attention to if the bag has the PFI certification or not. Over they years (20 for me and more than one appliance), I've found no discernible difference between a PFI certified bag and a non PFI certified pellet.

In my opinion, the PFI certification means little or nothing.

Reactions: johneh