What do you guys look for on the bag before you buy?

pelletnewbie92

Jun 1, 2020
New York
Hi all,

I'm a newbie user of pellets and I'm trying to work out what to look for on the bag. Do you guys care about things like the PFI label and the numbers in it? Or do you look more at the numbers from the manufacturers themselves? Or do you guys not really read any of the bag and just base your decision on what you've used before? If there is one or two things you always look for, what would they be?

Thanks all, just trying to find the best pellets out there!

Dataman

Minister of Fire
Sep 10, 2018
Newport, Wa
I like them to be without holes in them. I have tried 3 different pellets. No Difference at all. Ash or Heat Output. I just get what is in stock. North Idaho Energy Logs pellets.

They have double wrapping on the pallet. I don't buy single bags, but by the Ton. 199 plus 40 delivery for all I want.

This year only buying 3 tons, I have 2 tons sitting from last year. (use about 3.5 tons so far each year).

Harmon XXV put in place 2018. Not the TC Model (Floor Model). Chews thru even the decomposed pellets that get wet and dry out. It does not care about Brand

Peterfield

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2013
New Hampshire
There’s a label? Seriously, they almost all say “premium” on the bag and I can’t recall ever looking for any rating. I like what my stove likes and all pellets produce heat and ash in varying quantities so mostly in comes down to price for me.

tlc1976

Feeling the Heat
Oct 7, 2012
Northwest Lower Michigan
There are usually some specs like ash, moisture, fines. Just general figures that the manufacturer comes up with.

One winter I took pictures of every different pellet bag I came across. None (as listed) had as low of ash as my pro pellets.

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
I like them to be without holes in them. I have tried 3 different pellets. No Difference at all. Ash or Heat Output. I just get what is in stock. North Idaho Energy Logs pellets.

They have double wrapping on the pallet. I don't buy single bags, but by the Ton. 199 plus 40 delivery for all I want.

This year only buying 3 tons, I have 2 tons sitting from last year. (use about 3.5 tons so far each year).

Harmon XXV put in place 2018. Not the TC Model (Floor Model). Chews thru even the decomposed pellets that get wet and dry out. It does not care about Brand

+1 and no holes in the individual bags. I buy by the ton as well. I want them on decent pallets covered with a plastic bag and shrink wrapped. Other than that, my stove eats everything.

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
My opinion is the PFI was bought off by the producers so I don't pay any attention to if they are certified or not. I believe so long as the producers bankroll the PFI, they will endorse that manufacturer whether their pellets are good or junk makes no difference. Money talks and consumers pay.

johneh

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2009
Eastern Ontario
Before I buy a ton or more of a new pellet I buy 4 or 5 bags and try
them heat, ash, how dirty, the stove gets. then I buy the best that I can afford
Now I only buy Cubix works the best for me. Most people here have a favorite
but you have to find the one that works for you.

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
...and pellets are pretty much regional so what you can get out east, I cannot get here in the midwest. I've never seen Cubix.