What do you use to carry your chainsaw tools in the woods?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Studdlygoof

Jan 26, 2014
Elkton MD
I remember as a kid my grandfather had an old open wood toolbox he wood carry with him to hold his tools for the chainsaw. Now that I myself am harvesting wood for my stove, I found myself needing something to carry some of my stuff in. I asked my father whatever became of that tool box and he has no idea which is a shame since it had some real character. Was thinking about building something similar to what I remember but I was just curious about some of the caddies you guys use?

I just jam my stuff into the orange plastic case that I carry my Husky in.

It's a shame you can't find your Grandpop's toolbox; that would really be special to have.....

Reactions: Fred Wright
Same here - chain saw case has bar oil, sprocket grease, files, spare air filter,, etc - everything but the gas. Agree with PA Woodsman - that toolbox would be a nice keepsake ....

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
ATV. Never too far away that I can't walk back to it for gas, oil & tools.

Reactions: Missouri Frontier
I've got a postal-type plastic crate that I cut a slot in one corner. The saw sits in it, with the bar poking out of the slit. Gas can, bar oil, rags, and a small ALICE pouch containing tools/wedges/etc all fit in.

Then I can carry the crate by its handles and have everything with me

You can kinda see the setup here:

image.jpg

I got an old ammo box I keep my files,xtra plugs,screwdrivers,sockets and a ratchet in.No moisture can get in it and if you knock it around the lid won't come open and loose your tools.

Studdlygoof, I'm glad you asked that question. I'm also looking for some type of box or container to hold my things.

I currently have the wooden box my Uncle used to carry his things around. It worked for him, but for sentimental reasons, I'd rather not break up his little box. I also have his Jonsereds 49SP, and a few of my Grandfather's large 1 and 2 man saws.

DSCF9102.JPG
DSCF9103.JPG

I have a small duffle that holds my stuff. If you do like BB48 with the plastic tote try cutting the bar slot so that you have to pass the saw through it rather than just set it in. This way you retain more rigidity and original integrity of the container and it will likely last longer with any abuse.

Reactions: PapaDave
You can get these tubs at ,tractor supply , home depot, etc. It goes in the back of my jeep ,keeps any spillage in the tub ,then I drag it into the woods, And you can use them to haul wood up to the house

Sled.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: chazcarr
A couple things are in the case with the Super 380,but everything else is in these 2 pouch/quick release nylon belt combo.

3 felling wedges,small Husky tongs,2 screnches,100ft tape,carb screwdriver,7/32 file/handle,1/2 & 9/16 open end/socket combo wrenches for bar nuts,triangular file for depth gauges,extra corded ear plugs in plastic box,extra new 7/32 file,sharpie..

Even room for a pint water bottle & couple granola bars/jerky.

Attachments

• pouches & tongs.jpg
    pouches & tongs.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 4,681
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,659
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 2,619
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,368
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I like those keepsakes Erik, great convo pieces. I have noticed a few of you have tape measures in your boxes. I'm assuming you're not measuring every log you cut so what's the technical use for it. Maybe I need to add something else to my box

I like those keepsakes Erik, great convo pieces. I have noticed a few of you have tape measures in your boxes. I'm assuming you're not measuring every log you cut so what's the technical use for it. Maybe I need to add something else to my box

Thanks... A tape measure and a red lumber crayon, because I can't eyeball 16"...

Makes sense. I never really had anyone to show me the ropes as far as the tricks of the trade go so being a green horn I'm kinda running blind here but you learn something new every day. Tape and crayon will be added to the list of gadgets.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I have a small duffle that holds my stuff. If you do like BB48 with the plastic tote try cutting the bar slot so that you have to pass the saw through it rather than just set it in. This way you retain more rigidity and original integrity of the container and it will likely last longer with any abuse.

Hey now that's a good idea ;lol

It's actually not that flimsy with the full slot cut. I left a little bit at the bottom, and the sides are short enough that its not a big deal. You can still use the handle on that side just fine. I've been using this for probably around a year and its held up well

Although for a larger, heavier saw your idea may be better. I may have to get another bin and try it that way for my 291 ;)

I remember as a kid my grandfather had an old open wood toolbox he wood carry with him to hold his tools for the chainsaw. Now that I myself am harvesting wood for my stove, I found myself needing something to carry some of my stuff in. I asked my father whatever became of that tool box and he has no idea which is a shame since it had some real character. Was thinking about building something similar to what I remember but I was just curious about some of the caddies you guys use?

I use a regular tool box to keep my tools (files, bar wrench, tape measure, marking paint, splitting wedge, falling wedge) together. It rarely leaves the back of my truck.

I use a regular tool box to keep my tools (files, bar wrench, tape measure, marking paint, splitting wedge, falling wedge) together. It rarely leaves the back of my truck.

The OCD in me has been thinking about going this route. I'm also torn though about the wood box for tradition and lightweight for when my truck is not near the cut site

I use a sled that's very similar to HDRock's concrete mixing tub, except it's heavier plastic and has a ribbed bottom, for towing both tools and wood. That said, I only occasionally cut in an area that could be described as 'the woods.' Usually it's someone's vehicle-inaccessible back yard.

I made a box to fit over the lift arms on my International tractor . It holds all my tools, peavy, saws ,extra chains, oil , gas, lunch , cell phone . When I go out , I'm cutting logs to length usually , Then I'll gather them up with the Farmi winch and pull out logs to buck later along the the driveway. My driveway is 80 ft wide by 2000 ft long , so tons of room. After its split , its thrown on a trailer , then up to the barn / leanto , wood shed for the 2 yrs drying.

Reactions: Sinngetreu
Thanks... A tape measure and a red lumber crayon, because I can't eyeball 16"...

I don't know about your Husky 450 - but my Husky 455 Rancher is my log measure. From the front of the orange plastic housing on the left side of the bar, to the very end of the handle is 16" long - which is nice because that's just how long I want my splits to be. When I'm bucking rounds, I just hold the saw against the log and measure it off. There's always some little feature in the bark that I can use as a mark. Without a chalk, I can't mark off the entire log beforehand of course, but I'm usually bucking rounds in the woods and I like measuring each round just before I cut it as it forces me to pause and consider each cut...where the round will fall...roll to....how the rest of the log might react...etc.

I use the case the Husky saw came in for saw, wrench, and extra chains. I have a small toolbox that has gloves, ear plugs, eye protection, a few extra nuts and bolts, etc. Like Big Redd, that rarely leaves my truck. Only other things I need are gas and bar oil, and that goes in the back of my truck. When cutting the only thing I take into the woods (other than chainsaw obviously) is the wrench that came with the saw and I just put that in my pocket.

I have a plastic tomato crate that I carry my bar oil, gas, extra 2 cycle oil, ear plugs, eye protection, first aid kit, rope, tool bag (wrenches, screwdrivers, etc), and hand saws. Its kinda flimsy, but it's better to lug one thing to the van than all of them separately. In the saw bags, I carry the saw specific things like files, spark plugs, etc.

Studdlygoof, I'm glad you asked that question. I'm also looking for some type of box or container to hold my things.

I currently have the wooden box my Uncle used to carry his things around. It worked for him, but for sentimental reasons, I'd rather not break up his little box. I also have his Jonsereds 49SP, and a few of my Grandfather's large 1 and 2 man saws.

View attachment 126038
View attachment 126039

You know, its times like this I wonder if my kid is going to be carrying around my stupid plastic crate saying "I have this kit my ol man had for sentimental reasons". When put into that perspective, my kit seems pretty sad. I kinda feel like I need to find a nice wood crate and have a few mods done to it to have a nice custom kit for my kid to "hang on to" when I'm gone. I'm pretty sure my ol man didn't do that, but they just don'tmake wood crates for cheese and other common goods like they used to.

I'm just getting over a pretty wicked illness so I could be over thinking things..... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.