What does this mean

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KYrob

Hearth Supporter
Jan 8, 2010
KY
I saw this on the USFS web site. Does this mean they don't want you to season wood. The page this was on was talking about transporting wood and how not to buy wood from out of state and to use wood from your county to prevent the spread of damaging insects.

"And no matter the degree of the winter, harsh or mild, be sure to burn every piece of wood before May 1st. "

Rob

Dang, so much for being two years ahead.

No. It means that the bugs they are trying to contain are dormant during cold periods (winter).

ie If you transport infested wood home from an infested area and burn it ALL up before the weather turns warm , the chance of spreading the bug by human transport is reduced because the bug was dormant until you incinerated him.

ALB and EAB don't infect trees after they have been converted to BTUs. ALB don't travel far from the host tree so without somebody helping them out by moving an infected piece of firewood or untreated pallet, etc the beetle will not spread.

Matt

Not to hijack the OP, but speaking of transporting firewood, i was in the stove shop last week and the Ag Dept was in there talking to the owner about him selling firewood. They said they had tracked infested ash firewood from the MIS track in Mich. all the way down to Bristol in Tn last year.

Yup, you guys are nailing it. Bristol, TN is the next race on the circuit after MIS. Brooklyn, MI is a heavily infested area for EAB and people don't want to lose the few dollars they have put into purchasing firewood in the area, so they transport it down to the next race with them. Of course their wood doesn't spread this destructive pest! Dept. of Ag employees travel into the Bristol area to check firewood and hand out literature. But, if people won't stop transporting firewood, it's ultimately a losing battle.

If you aren't transporting the firewood, then I don't think it should matter when you burn it. Also, May 1 seems like a pretty late date for insects to remain dormant.

Right, they are not telling you to not season the wood, they are just trying to stop the spread of the bugs.

What really makes me wonder about all these crappy bugs is all you hear about is transporting firewood . I have yet to hear anything about saw logs for lumber . Have you ?

Yes, they have to follow the rules too. There were a couple here in MI who thought they could get around the rules but it ended up costing them a whole lot more than the logs they were transporting.

To further the discussion on logs. They can move out of a quarantined area IF the receiving mill signs an agreement to comply with mandated handling requirements. The logs and byproducts need to be processed by April 30th. Shipping has to end by March 31st. The logs could also be fumigated or heat treated, but those are not cost effective for the mills. Another way to transport wood is to cut it into green lumber at a mill and remove all the bark and cambium layer. Ag inspectors verify the removal of bark and issue permits for the transport. The lumber industry as a whole is good about self-policing, to their credit.

All wood from in county!

70marlin said:
All wood from in county!

A couple of years ago they actually had the areas up here in mid-Michigan split up by different roads in the county. I couldn't haul ash from 1 mile away but if I went 2 miles the other way I could! Now pretty much all counties are free from restrictions (can't beat Mother Nature)!

Gary

Gary, we had the same thing. I had a fellow who wanted to cut some wood off our place but, he lived west of us instead of east. That meant he was in another county. Could not do. Now it doesn't matter as all the ash are hit hard. People keep cutting it and we see stacks of it for sale all over the place plus ads. I've talked to several and asked how many they've sold. Same answer from all. None sold.

70marlin said:
All wood from in county!

Now you can transport within the quarantined areas. Between states included

Lee and other explained it well I am near the border of IL and WI and as of last fall you could not transport from IL to WI due to EAB I think they might have changed it this spring because WI is getting infested also.

EAB showing up here. In my opinion, giving the little guy a free ride for twenty miles isn't going to slow the infestation much.

I live in the VERY corner of the state. I have 3 different counties in 2 states within 1/2 mile from my place. Guess which county the USDA quarantines WITHOUT even finding a bug?
Ya mine. I've dealt with it but it sure has put the phuqins to my biz.LOTS of PISSED OFF CUSTOMERS!
I mapped it out and explained what it wood do to my delivery area but they didn't give chit. I asked them if they wood be able to keep the bugs from traveling that 1/2 mile into the other counties on there own.I also mentioned the fact that 90% of my inventory came from one of those counties and that left unchecked the wood , wood be going right back to the are where it came from.
USDA is realLEE a bunch of morons!

Status
Not open for further replies.