What I am Thankful For...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCounty

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2009
Southeast PA
My father in law saw a neighbor having a tree cut down. He asked the guys to toss the wood his way. I got 3 truck loads of it. It should keep me busy for a while. Anyone that recogonizes what kind it is would be helpful? Unless I am told, I can't identify most woods.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 435
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 419
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 400
maple hard to tell what kind from the small pics

Good score! Let it freeze solid, then split it.
It will warm you multiple times.

Burn safely and wisely.

The pics are kind of small, but I agree that you probably have maple - Red or Sugar Maple, I think.

That's one of the great things about heating with wood, it's about the only fuel, I can think of, that people just give away.
You don't see the power companies giving away their electricity, nobody is handing out free Oil, and I've never heard anybody say "hey, thanks for taking all that propane off my hands".
Nope, only wood! Ya gota like it. ;-)

If that is sugar maple that was a great score. If not its still good but sugar is sweet!

Looks too red to be silver maple which is in the lower btu bracket and not as heavy as sugar maple but at the price you got it for that's a bang up deal.

If you see a guy wearing a black ski mask backing his truck into your yard, it is not me! haha

nice score!

http://mb-soft.com/juca/print/firewood.html

After looking at this link, since it is hard maple as definteLEE says it is and I know he is always correct, do I even bother attempting splitting with a sledge and axe, or do I rent a splitter later with a neighbor after scrounging some more?

Buckscobernie, I will be keeping an eye out!! hahaha

I would use an 8lb maul. The crotches will be very difficult. You'll have to start noodling.

BucksCounty said:

After looking at this link, since it is hard maple as definteLEE says it is and I know he is always correct, do I even bother attempting splitting with a sledge and axe, or do I rent a splitter later with a neighbor after scrounging some more?

Maple - That stuff should split fairly easy.

Yeah, Lee has straightened me out a couple of times. :lol:

BucksCounty said:

First, attempt to split it. You might be pleasantly surprised. But not with a sledge and axe. Use a sledge and wedge.

Status
Not open for further replies.