What in the Insert is going here, shouldn’t there be some kind of pipe thing connected?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Troutbum girl

Feb 17, 2023
Lake Tahoe, California
Hi, I need some help of what is going on here. My wood stove was having some smoking issues again recently and my Lanlord isn’t much help and claimed it was cleaned before winter. It did this when I first moved in a couple years ago. This winter it was working ok as long as the baffle was pushed towards me not as much smoke would come out when I opened the door. Recently when I would open door smoke comes pouring out. I called Lanlord and said I think chimney might need sweeping again and he said to only burn premium wood and make sure fan is on lol All I burn is dried and a very seasoned Oak.
I finally got fed up and went to trouble shoot this lame fireplace. I removed the baffle to look up in there and it didn’t look right lol. It’s obvious this is a insert and now was curious what going on being this insert. I slid open one of the side panel things to try and see and really saw there was nothing attached to the stove and saw some holes cut out and was really curious. I slid the sucker out and this is what I find? This set up looks janky and super scary!! Shouldn’t there be a flexy thing attached from the insert to the chimney or something? What kind of fireplace was this before and these huge holes? Never seen anything like this.

8070D3EF-91C7-42CE-ADA6-9B97C6D6AA9F.jpeg 28E1EDE6-B166-42C2-96A4-8D6D32503DC6.jpeg 62F6F84B-C243-4D59-9620-571E4ACE772E.jpeg 045DF0E3-6F79-4F06-95E1-61E866AB36A6.jpeg 628982E7-15AB-4159-BC93-DC3C4FAC27DF.jpeg

It's a slammer install and no longer allowed. The stove should have a full, stainless liner.

It's a slammer install and no longer allowed. The stove should have a full, stainless liner.
Just researched
Started to do some research today and came across what a slammer is. What kind of old fireplace did it use to be? Never seen one that was all metal and looks like it had a blower system? Just insane whoever installed this. Can’t believe how much creosote I swept out. I always wondered why there wasn’t much in my fireplace after the chimney sweep Lanlord did last time cuz it all just falls around the insert. So scary. Guess I will have to buy a liner and go from there.

and even at that it doesn't look right. i don't think that i would use it.

It looks like a heatform style fireplace with the upper section cut off. The setup is not only wrong, it's dangerous without a fully insulated liner up the chimney.

and even at that it doesn't look right. i don't think that i would use it.
Unfortunately where I live it’s freezing temps and it’s the only source of heat I’m this old house. Hopefully by next winter I will have found a different house to rent, I’m always looking but the rent pricing has increased a lot and nothing so far in my price range. In the meantime I’m looking at
It looks like a heatform style fireplace with the upper section cut off. The setup is not only wrong, it's dangerous without a fully insulated liner up the chimney.
Scary now knowing how easily it could of caught fire. Years of chimney sweeping and it all falling on and around the stove and never got cleaned out as it never fell into the stove to get out!!! I bought a space heater for the Kids and I until I get this all figured out. I measured the hole at top of stove and it’s 8” so I need to order lining in that size correct? I see these kits I can get online? I want to get the lining and have a professional come do a good chimney sweep before I install anything. Then I will bill the Lanlord for this. Ridiculous I am having to do this but at least my stove will work properly and I will know it’s safer