What Indoor Wood boilers you use and your experience, cost?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonymo63

Mar 30, 2011
Central Ct
Just at the beginning phase of this project, I am planning on installing an interior wood boiler in my garage 75 ft from my home and tying it into my oil furnance system. Any input on which brand, cost, and your experince, thanks so much-Jon

Hello Jon, Welcome I like the vigas brand that is advertised on the fourm. You will need to gather all the information on your needs to determine size of boiler,piping ect.

Everyone is going to start with asking, how big is your house and you maximum heat loss, what types of radiators, and what temp water they need. Then from there people can start suggesting brands, and prices.

The biggest part of solid fuel burning is an adequate PROPERLY seasoned wood supply. You should start on this now. Cut split and stacked in single rows for max drying. The worst wood in the best boiler will not make you a happy burner.Unless your gonna buy kiln dried.Plenty of good wood advice in "the woodshed"

Will

Once you determine your load and the size (BTU/H) you need, most likely with some kind of storage (Internal - Garn, External - others), you can start looking around. It appears almost everyone has a learning curve getting their boiler running the way they like, and the biggest issue is properly seasoned wood. A good rule of thumb is that your total installation cost will be the cost of the boiler (usually in the $5K to $10K range) and then an EQUAL amout for everything else (storage, underground piping, controls, circulators, beer). Check out some of the threads on this list, give us an idea on what you are working with, get (or make) a heat loss calculation, etc. and post it here.

Welcome to the club! I am going to kill some trees today.

Status
Not open for further replies.