What is a good stove to buy in Ct ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

acesneights1

Oct 18, 2008
North East CT
I have a Jotul F500 Oslo and this stove has some issues and I am thinking it's time to replace it. I am not happy with Jotul being that there is zero support for it. What is a good brand to buy and a delaer who can service what he sells ? I cannot find anyone tomwork on Jotul and the dealer local to me is Preston Trading Post and they are useless after the sale. I like this stove but feel it is becoming unsafe to use.

What's the issue with the Oslo?

I have a Jotul F500 Oslo and this stove has some issues and I am thinking it's time to replace it. I am not happy with Jotul being that there is zero support for it. What is a good brand to buy and a delaer who can service what he sells ? I cannot find anyone tomwork on Jotul and the dealer local to me is Preston Trading Post and they are useless after the sale. I like this stove but feel it is becoming unsafe to use.

The F500 is a really good workhorse. It would be good to discuss what's wrong to determine whether fixing or replacing is the best way to go.
I'm sorry to hear that things have not worked out with Preston. They are a good store and used to have a good repair staff, especially for Jotuls, but I don't know if Covid has hit them hard and if they are shorthanded.

Its the "perfect storm" for stove dealers, high energy costs means tremendous demand for stoves and installations. The swap over to the new EPA standards had already drained the supply chain to dealers and manufacturers are getting hit with record high steel costs plus a screwed up shipping chain.

How old is the oslo? is this a gasket issue like door and ash pan to have better air regulation / control over the burn?

I’ve been to Preston several times to look at stoves. The staff there, while helpful, seemed to have very little knowledge with the newer EPA stoves and regulations. Perhaps it’s due to supplier issues. They do installs as well but I’m not sure how confident I would be in their installs especially with a ducted furnace.