What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This evenings reload, is the same as this mornings. Pure, unadulterated, strategically split, gently aged, and perfectly loaded red oak. This reload should last until nearly 6:00 AM. CAT temp is nearing 950°, very little to no flame, and great heat output. This is my 13 year with the 91, we have a wonderful working relationship.

A few splits of Siberian Elm for a quick fire to generate some heat & produce a quick batch of ash to throw on the drive way. I guess my least favorite wood is really worth something. No kids or grandkids tonight so it will be rather peaceful around the shack tonight.

It's been hovering just above the freezing point today with rain, and ice, and snow. We decided it was a good time to heat with some of our gnarly but small oak, so this tote of wood is in the stove right now.

View attachment 271663

All except the largest piece on the right, which will probably form part of our overnight. I think he might be missing his friends, though.

View attachment 271664

@Caw

Sad logs, best friends for life.

I've been pulling from the wood stack for the last few days. With three girls....one a infant.... a wife that works late and it getting dark so early I haven't had a chance to refill my porch stack until today. Me and my oldest daughter got out early this morning and replenished the porch stack which should last for the next month roughly.

Tonight it's currently 27 with a low of 23 expected and I have a load of red oak and hickory on deck after coals burn down.

I didn't run an overnight fire and with the temps at 26 this morning, I loaded up the stove with more Cherry.

I need to have an overnight fire if the temp is below 40 at night. Well, that or a late evening load. The family isn't happy if its 62 in here when they wake up!

This morning its 24 outside so we have a red oak, cherry, and ash mix. Depending on how warm it gets today I'll either reload more ash this afternoon or let it die until the evening pre-overnight small fire.

We're in that weird 25 overnight but 40s during the day weather. Kind of annoying burning schedule wise but it uses less wood at least!

I need to have an overnight fire if the temp is below 40 at night. Well, that or a late evening load. The family isn't happy if its 62 in here when they wake up!

This morning its 24 outside so we have a red oak, cherry, and ash mix. Depending on how warm it gets today I'll either reload more ash this afternoon or let it die until the evening pre-overnight small fire.

We're in that weird 25 overnight but 40s during the day weather. Kind of annoying burning schedule wise but it uses less wood at least!
It was cool in here this morning, 63 degrees on the main floor and 71 in the basement where the stove is. I ended shutting my eye lids in the recliner and waking up late so I said no fire.

I had the furnace set on 60 and that kicked on when we were getting up.

Sounds exactly like my house except if it hits 69 or so my wife will inform me it's time to get the stove reloaded. Exact same weather pattern here as well and it is frustrating. It's very easy to overheat the house...for me anyways.....for my wife and the girls it seems impossible to do so lol.

It was 25 this morning when I reloaded with hickory and post oak. Expecting a high of 38 today.

Oh yeah I can bake us out of here very fast with this weather. On nice cold days I like to keep the closer room around 72, and the far rooms around 68-70 or so and its easy to maintain. With these mild temps it can balloon to 75 if I'm not careful with load size and/or turning the blower off. Even 32 vs 38 degrees outside is way easier to deal with.

I prefer it to be slightly warmer versus slightly cooler if I had to pick but anything over like 74 (outside of the stove room) is too much for me. 70-72 is just right.

Im loading up a small-medium ish load of ash and cherry now as its cooler than yesterday. Just gonna keep it rolling today instead of letting it die in the afternoon. It's 34 out right now. Oak for tonight.

Back from the new arrival; got us a little boy (1st kid) hectic times. Weather during day unusually warm 40-50s almost hit 60 our first day back I heard of for this month. Should be cold again in a week. Low tonight headed for teens. Trusty pine saves the night again.

3AD81D38-2A0F-41EE-B86D-D3D21CEB4751.jpeg

Ash, Oak & Osage in tonight, wind gusts to 35mph with temps in the 20’s. NWS has us on a Blizzard Warning, calling for 4”-7” snow tonight & tomorrow. Tomorrow’s winds are supposed to gust to around 45-50mph.

Back from the new arrival; got us a little boy (1st kid) hectic times. Weather during day unusually warm 40-50s almost hit 60 our first day back I heard of for this month. Should be cold again in a week. Low tonight headed for teens. Trusty pine saves the night again.

View attachment 272006
Congratulations on the birth of your son.

Reactions: MMH

View attachment 272006

Congrats! As a man with two kids and the second one on the precipice of being out of diapers all I can say is good luck my friend. I can see the light at the end of the diaper tunnel lol. Lots of work but they are great.

Eventually they become helpful and you get him out back splitting! !!!

Its 32 out with a load of post and red oak going in the stove. Expecting a little snow and some wind today. Supposed to have gusts of 40 mph.

Congrats MMH.....nothing like little ones. I got 3 myself. 11,6, and 6 months. They are a lot of fun.

Last edited:
MMH congrads! We have been having temps in the 40's so I let the basement stove go out. Some maple has been keeping the PE fed but the house was 78 last night.

View attachment 272006
Congratulations.