What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We've been in the 40's in the day, high 30's for low, I've kept the stove going constant with a split of oak about an hour. Bigger pieces at night, enough coals to restart in the morning. I've actually been going through more wood than I thought, we like it warm.

Edit.. tomorrow we'll have 50 for a high, time to let it die down and clean it out.

Last edited:
Well today is going to be nice and sunny with a high of 55 after a solid week of rain. From my best estimates here at the house since last Thursday we have gotten just under 6.5 inches of rain. Truman lake and Pomme de Terre both rose 2.5 foot each yesterday which figures here right before the spring crappie season. Its 33 now so I put a small load of black jack and post oak in the stove to hold the house over until tonight.

We have had some pretty good temps this week 50's. The stoves have been going out during the day and just a few small fires to keep the chill out. Thursday it rained and pushed a cold front in for a day or two but we should be back to 50'and maybe 60's this week. I'll probably just have small fires with a little ash and cedar splits to keep the house warm at night.

Well today is going to be nice and sunny with a high of 55 after a solid week of rain. From my best estimates here at the house since last Thursday we have gotten just under 6.5 inches of rain. Truman lake and Pomme de Terre both rose 2.5 foot each yesterday which figures here right before the spring crappie season. Its 33 now so I put a small load of black jack and post oak in the stove to hold the house over until tonight.
We're thinking along the same lines about crappie fishing, it's getting closer. Not to mention all the rain that helps the morels pop up. Crappie and morels, yum!Mark Twain Lake has risen about 10 feet in he past week.

It's in the mid 40's right now, and I've got red oak crankin' out the heat.

Got off work this morning, temps chilled back down currently 30 out when some flurries. Threw some pine in the stove. Lows headed for teens, looks this way for a few days. I’ll move some juniper and mahogany in today

Sadly nothing in the stove till at least Thursday, let the fire die out Saturday since temps warmed to the 60's for a few days. Thursday through Sunday should be cool enough around here for a fire then after that she may be down for good as temps next week look to be the upper 60's....

I haven't burned in a few days. It's gotten down to 35 the last couple nights but it was still 50 at 11 pm when I go to bed so I just let the heat pump work for an hour or two. Not fire will likely be Saturday night or Sunday morning.

Screenshot_20210323-073033_Weather.jpg

I think we hit 61 today but we had some off and on rain. It's 52 out now with a low of 44 tonight. I haven't burned for about a week now but I just got the stove up to temp with some post and red oak to knock the chill out of the air. I know its 55 out but.....I guess I'm just a sissy.

Still a whole lot of nothing. I'm letting the heat pump do its thing for a few hrs in the am while it's in the 45-60 degree range here. It's efficient, saves wood, and the sun takes over late morning. I program my ecobee to keep it at 65 until 10 am then shut itself off all from my phone. Pretty nifty thermostat.

Since it's my first year I'm more inclined to save the wood for next year than to have a fire just because. That will likely change as I have a better stock of fully seasoned stuff on hand.

Miserable rainy day around here, now there's a good west wind blowing. Wife was cold so I fired up the stove this evening. Burning ash tonight and for the next week at least until temps are back to the mid 60s.