What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Loaded halfway up with line, oak, ash, maple pieces. 46 f today, so firmly in minisplit territory, but I can't stop burning ...
So it'll be cruising on low today.and tonight. Tomorrow 53 so I'll let the stove go out tomorrow morning. The Friday evening it'll be on again.

Filled it with some pine branches. Will let it go out tomorrow morning. Thursday will be warm enough for the minisplit. Friday evening I'll relight.

We had 30 this morning, I never checked but that's what the wife reported. Another load of the maples went in the wood stove after the first cup of coffee.

We might get 6-8 inches of snow with some winds starting tomorrow so I filled the tractor and the rtv with diesel, then went down to fill two five gallon diesel tanks.

Remnants of pine branch wood burning down. 33 this morning. Will let the stove cool off today. Will be 53 or so.

Be back burning Friday afternoon.

Now off to split some pine we took last Saturday. Will be taking another 45 ft pine this coming Saturday. That should fill the shed to max capacity.

With all the cooking today adding heat to the house and the outside temp still in the mid 30's, we haven't had a fire since this morning. The wife would like an overnight fire so I'll make one around 9:45 tonight.

I have some jobs outside that need to be done before this storm comes in so hopefully I'm up and out early.

Winter Storm Warning
Start
End
Friday, November 26, 1:00 PM EST
Saturday, November 27, 1:00 PM EST
Source: U.S. National Weather Service
...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM FRIDAY TO 1 PM EST SATURDAY... * WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 8 inches below 1000 feet, and 6 to 10 inches above. Winds gusting as high as 30 mph. * WHERE...In Vermont, Lamoille, Eastern Franklin and Eastern Chittenden Counties. In New York, Southeastern St. Lawrence and Southern Franklin Counties. * WHEN...From 1 PM Friday to 1 PM EST Saturday. * IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. Areas of blowing snow could significantly reduce visibility. The hazardous conditions could impact the evening commute. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...A mix of snow and rain will develop Friday morning before transitioning to all snow in the afternoon and continuing through Friday night. Snow will taper off Saturday morning. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food, and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency. Please allow extra time if travel is necessary.

With all the cooking today adding heat to the house and the outside temp still in the mid 30's, we haven't had a fire since this morning.

Same here. Minisplit stayed off all day. I did escape for a few minutes to split two wheelbarrows of the pine I got last week.

Be safe in the storm.

Same here. Minisplit stayed off all day. I did escape for a few minutes to split two wheelbarrows of the pine I got last week.

Be safe in the storm.
Thanks, we really won't need to go anywhere so other then taking care of any possible tree damage around the driveway, I'll be enjoying the fire and more turkey tomorrow afternoon in the house.

Last edited:
Went to bed with a temp of 37, woke up to 36. Looks like the bulk of the quick moving storm is supposed to stay south of us (Enjoy it Zap !!!). Temp is supposed to start dropping today and stay in the 20,s & teens for the next week. The current temp up in Manitouwage (NW Ontario) is sitting on 0 so the cold isn't far away. Ole' Black Betty is just idling along on a diet of mixed hardwood and the house is a pleasant 72.

Steady diet of the punky honey locust during the day today. I get about 3 hours out of a load regardless of size.

Took the morning off from hunting as it was quite late by the time we got home from Thanksgiving activities and I had the stove fired back up. After the morning hunt yesterday there was a nice buck laying in the neighbor's yard 10 yards off the road next to a pine tree, but he took off before we even tried to put the sneak on him after getting permission... Old bucks are SO smart and sneaky!

It was 11::F last night and just 14 out now at 9am and I’m still burning small scrap wood gathered from mower crates, small branches, construction scraps etc. I always collect it and pile it up then use a old miter daw to chop it all up and sock it away and this winter I need to get rid of much of it. I Bet I could heat my small place with it for most of the cold winter up here. What stinks is that I have to keep stocking the stove often with the stuff but when it dips below zero I’ll add some cord wood I’m sure.

Last edited:
Are your tubes red hot in the photo? I don’t think I’ve ever gotten my stove that hot, hot enough to illuminate the tubes… I think the incoming air keeps them cool, hot but cool if you know what I mean.
On full hardwood loads my tubes get that hot too... glowing red/orange with stt 650+.

Just lit up again. First load is scraps, cut offs, branch wood of oak, ash, maple, pine - to get the basement warm again before we need the heat upstairs.