What is it with me and Small Engines?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dobish

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2015
Golden CO
It seems like everything I own with a small engine decides to crap out on me at the same time. I went to start the weed whacker yesterday (toro TB525CS) and it wont' start. Turns out the fuel lines are cracked and busted. I replaced those, gave it a few pulls, and it sputtered. Then it died and would not start. I think i need to pull the carb and clean that.

Then I decide to maybe use the lawnmower. It has oil, new spark plug, fresh gas, new air filter... won't go. No idea what is wrong with that one... probably has a crack in the engine from hitting lots of rocks.

On to the chainsaw... i figure, why not.... this guy has been good recently. Sure enough, first pull and it fires up. My wife tells me its dinner time, and I have to put the chainsaw away :(

It seems as though I have inherited my stepfathers curse of killing things with gas engines...

You're not alone! >>

Welcome to the club

i didn't try the splitter, but that was running pretty good the other day... i think i am just going to buy a sickle for the tall grass. I'm already using the reel mower for the tamed stuff, and scissors for the edges.

On the Troy Bilt trimmer - Troy-Bilt carb 753-05251. They are ~$12 on ebay. I don't buy a kit when that cheap.

On the Troy Bilt trimmer - Troy-Bilt carb 753-05251. They are ~$12 on ebay. I don't buy a kit when that cheap.
thanks. i will probably pull it apart and see if i can get it to be easily cleaned... if it still doesn't start, then I will just get a replacement.

It seems like everything I own with a small engine decides to crap out on me at the same time. I went to start the weed whacker yesterday (toro TB525CS) and it wont' start. Turns out the fuel lines are cracked and busted. I replaced those, gave it a few pulls, and it sputtered. Then it died and would not start. I think i need to pull the carb and clean that.

Then I decide to maybe use the lawnmower. It has oil, new spark plug, fresh gas, new air filter... won't go. No idea what is wrong with that one... probably has a crack in the engine from hitting lots of rocks.

On to the chainsaw... i figure, why not.... this guy has been good recently. Sure enough, first pull and it fires up. My wife tells me its dinner time, and I have to put the chainsaw away :(

It seems as though I have inherited my stepfathers curse of killing things with gas engines...
I know a lot of people that have that problem'
I tell them that most people only use that small engine item occasionally. Not like a truck or auto and gas goes bad.
I advise them to dump the gas tank and run engine dry, when finished. Only use fresh premium non ethanol gasoline.
If used weekly, fill tank completely full for storage--less air in tank, less moisture: especially when using ethanol gas.

i pretty much leave everything empty during the off season... mostly because it leaks out from somewhere :)

Reactions: Jazzberry
Running dry helps some (don't do it on a metal tank) but the problem with ethanol is leaves enough of a coating to cause very small carb passages to be come blocked and I haven't seen any plastic fuel components that are 100% ethanol safe. Some better than others but still degrade from exposure to same,just takes longer. plastic carbs like to warp- air leaks

Sounds like somebody needs to go the battery route. ==c Electric tools aren't foolproof, either, but you can avoid a lot of the problems that come with gas engines. I'm gradually replacing my lawn tools with electric equivalents one by one and never looked back...

Reactions: MrWhoopee
Sounds like somebody needs to go the battery route. ==c Electric tools aren't foolproof, either, but you can avoid a lot of the problems that come with gas engines. I'm gradually replacing my lawn tools with electric equivalents one by one and never looked back...

now that battery technology is getting there, it might be an option. Doing the back 40 with an extension cord would be rough.

elecric tools - batteries dead , dang cord got a short or open, switch don't work - thats what I always seem to find. not that manual were any better - picked up the spade and it fell off the handle, axe head lose also -dang wood shrunk over the winter.

Exactly where I stand. If it's practical to do it with electricity, that's how I'm going to do it. My electric splitter sits outside under a tarp all winter. Uncover it, step on the pedal, it runs. Same for my little electric chainsaw, which lives right next to the splitter for the impossible pieces. Electric motors deliver more torque and are MUCH simpler and more reliable than gas. If I ever decide to upgrade my splitter, it will be for an electric kinetic model. Other than my cordless drill, I haven't made the jump to rechargeable, but I can see it coming as batteries get better. The fewer gas burners I have, the better I like it.

I really like my batter powered weed whacker and my electric blower. Cheaper to buy than gas versions and zero maintenance.

I'm very careful about fuel quality for my saw, my generator, and my outboard. Somehow, my cheap, Chinese made Yard Machines mower that I bought used has zero issues year after year burning the old gas from those. I've mowed 3 times recently, burning 2-stroke outboard gas that's a year old. All I do for that mower is change the oil once in the spring, then run the fuel dry in the fall.

I really like my batter powered weed whacker and my electric blower. Cheaper to buy than gas versions and zero maintenance.

I made this jump last year for Father's Day. My wife asked what I wanted and I told her I had been eyeing the 40 volt Ryobi weed wackier. I have been very happy with the purchase. My biggest problem with trimming was always the weed wacker itself. It's an old commercial Lesco unit, and has tons of power but it was usually hard to start, wouldn't idle consistently, and I could never seem to get the carb adjusted right. It always seemed to unadjust itself. Probably a carb issue, but just never felt like dealing with it on a piece of equipment that was given to me about ten years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: blacktail
tore the carb off, cleaned it up. got some extra fresh gas and replaced the fuel lines and fuel pickup in the toro. I bought a new carb for next year when i have to deal with it again :) I got it going with a little starter fluid, and spent the afternoon cutting grass....

I also just decided to go out and buy one of these:

it did a decent job, and even came with enough gas to get 1/2 way through my yard :)