What is it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Medic21

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2017
Northern Indiana
What does this look like. It’s free.

AD96EFE3-6C03-4780-BDE9-2BDDF1C4EB41.png
4E3B6541-B2DC-4748-8049-33871317C5E6.png

Not sure. Black oak?

Black walnut will have characteristic chocolate colored heartwood.
* Pic of end grain ?
Walnut bark is soft and will slice with pen knife with solid, brown color.
Twig scars of walnut very characteristic - 'monkey face' (mouth w/ two eyes).
Pith of twigs are distinctive too - chambered.

It could be anything outside of the willow family and it's a great deal for free.

Looks like a good source of heat at a great price.

Reactions: sloeffle
yeah looks like walnut! if it is - sell those logs. . . my other suspicion would be chestnut oak? the more I look the more im seeing walnut. . . could we get a photo of the ends of the logs?
I’m heading to cut it in an hour or so. All I’ve seen it those pics. It you look at where the limbs were cut I see that dark heartwood. That’s why I’m thinking walnut.

There is no money in walnut right now. The market to China is dried up.

yeah looks like walnut! if it is - sell those logs. . . my other suspicion would be chestnut oak? the more I look the more im seeing walnut. . . could we get a photo of the ends of the logs?
Yes, that's a better guess than black oak. Chestnut oak or walnut . The end of that one looks like walnut.