What is my strainer grate used for?

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.


New Member
Dec 6, 2023
Hello all,

I have a Consolidated Dutchwest FA288CCL woodstove. It was installed in the home when I bought the house. I've used it for three years with no problems. However, I have this part: https://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/product/CDWStrainerGrate578 that was in the stove when I first opened it up. I have found numerous websites selling this part for my stove, but I haven't found a single manual or schematic that tells me what it actually does.

It's not the baffle, as that is a square part located under the catalytic combustor. Any help would be appreciated.

I haven't seen that before either. It looks like a flame shield, but for the best answer call Woodman's and ask.