What is the best portable generator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The OP is asking about 'portable'. Some of the answers here are not portable in any typical sense of the word. Even the Honda eu2000i I own is tough enough to haul around, especially when the power is out.
mines on wheels and pretty portable, a non portable to me would mean like a automatic whole house unit. I take mine with me every trip up north wheeling( powers a welder nicely)

One more experience story. As to easily portable, I bought a Champion 2000w inverter generator 4 years ago. It's quiet but not as quiet as a Honda or Yamaha. Only used once for a power outage just to power the fridge and freezer for awhile, but used about 50-60 hours over 4 days each year during the last three years for camping during a music festival we enjoy, and will be used again later this month for the same thing. It uses about 5 gallons of gas for that number of hours of use. Flawless in operation. Main reason for getting this was for the computer and electronics during a possible long power outage; also to run the circulators on my shop heating system if a long power outage during the heating season, but this has never happened yet. The circulators buzz when run on a non-inverter generator.

Also have a Craftsman 5500w - 240V generator on wheels that plugs into a 10 circuit transfer switch on our main panel. I have had this for many years. It gets used for a few hours about once a year during a power outage. The 240V is needed for the water well pump. This generator is quite noisy. It also has enough power to run my 240V MIG welder, so my welder now also is portable, a real plus.

For both generators, premium non-ethanol fuel and Stabil, run the carb dry after use, exercise each on at least a 1/2 load 1-2 times a year.

One more experience story. As to easily portable, I bought a Champion 2000w inverter generator 4 years ago. It's quiet but not as quiet as a Honda or Yamaha. Only used once for a power outage just to power the fridge and freezer for awhile, but used about 50-60 hours over 4 days each year during the last three years for camping during a music festival we enjoy, and will be used again later this month for the same thing. It uses about 5 gallons of gas for that number of hours of use. Flawless in operation. Main reason for getting this was for the computer and electronics during a possible long power outage; also to run the circulators on my shop heating system if a long power outage during the heating season, but this has never happened yet. The circulators buzz when run on a non-inverter generator.

Also have a Craftsman 5500w - 240V generator on wheels that plugs into a 10 circuit transfer switch on our main panel. I have had this for many years. It gets used for a few hours about once a year during a power outage. The 240V is needed for the water well pump. This generator is quite noisy. It also has enough power to run my 240V MIG welder, so my welder now also is portable, a real plus.

For both generators, premium non-ethanol fuel and Stabil, run the carb dry after use, exercise each on at least a 1/2 load 1-2 times a year.

How is your Craftsman on gas? I think my old Craftsman (not actually that old, was a nice genny otherwise) would have gone though those 5 gallons in 10 hours rather than 50. That was the tipper for me.

Have not had to use the Craftsman for long long periods to have a concern about gas. I normally have on hand 15-30 gal of regular ethanol gas plus 5-10 gal of premium, non-ethanol, Stabil gas that can be used in the generator if needed. Maybe the best thing about having a generator in my case was once I had the generator, power outages seemed to diminish. Buying it was insurance that I wouldn't need to use it.

Maybe the best thing about having a generator in my case was once I had the generator, power outages seemed to diminish.

I think I have also experienced this strange phenomenom...

Having 2 backup gennys has helped with the power outages, since we have bought them we have only used them twice.
Use the small one for camping in craft show parking lots, will run my small window shaker in the camper or a fan and some lights. sure is nice to have.

Depends what you want it for
But the Honda is probably the best
but also the most expensive
I use a whole house unit 25 KW gen-teck
and have a 5000 watt portable Honda
They cover what ever power I need at home and away