What is the best shape for a maul head?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turn_n_burn

Burning Hunk
Aug 14, 2015
Idaho
I have had a hell of a time trying to figure out what the best shape for a maul head is. I've seen the monsters and Fiskars with perfectly shaped V-heads, ones that have an expanding flare (like Rockforge), and ones that have a reducing angle (like a half of a football when viewed from the side). Does anyone have advice on what is the best all around, or are there types that work best on certain woods verses others, dry or green, and so forth? Anyone have any good modification ideas or any interesting work done with an angle grinder on one?

acute angle seems to work well. Look at the Fiskars. also i found even a cheap maul if ground down to a smooth almost mirror finish splits well. i believe the smoothness is key

Reactions: jatoxico
You could take a look at some of the shapes used by the companies making hand forged items like Granfors or Wetterlings. I believe they use time tested designs. I have an old American made maul that I re-hafted that seems to be made from good old steel that has a classic shape. I like the Fiskars quite a bit too.

As far as the maul I agree with ironpony. I took some time to file down some of accumulated dings and dents it had and shined it up a bit. Also put an edge on it. Not too sharp but I don't agree that you want a maul to be dull. After smoothing it out and sharpening there was a noticeable improvement.

Damn, the Gransfors mauls look nice! I notice that there seems to be a couple things expensive mauls have in common, a good amount of weight balance behind the handle (a "poll", i guess is the term) kinda like a double bit axe (which I always noticed split easier than a single edge chopping axe), and a narrower blade head (so it doesn't look like an English headsman's axe). I'm gonna experiment with one of my cheapies and see what I can do with it.

Last edited:
I use a wedge-shaped 12# maul that my dad gave me a while ago. It has a steel shaft. Haven't found much it won't split. I'll also say that technique has a lot to do with it IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.