What is the Cheapest pex you would use in slab

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
shagbark said:
Don't want to buy the most expensive if I don't have to just wondering from experience what I need to use.
Thanks

I would stick with Viega, Rehau or Wirsbo/Uponor. You're not going to go wrong with any of those companies. Read through their warranties. Saving a nickel or a dime a foot only to have your job turn into junk down the road truly sucks. Seen it on a few jobs, wasn't pretty.

"Sometimes you don't get what you pay for but you will never get what you don't pay for." So it was said to me..........

BTW, O2 Barrier tube only for any and all heating applications.

You can try Farmtek.com as this is where I bought my pex-al-pex and I am pleased with the ease of install. No special tools required other than the flaring tool. Remember, once it's in the floor, it's in the floor..

I used Wirsbo in the concrete, and Mr. Pex on the upper floors.
Don't go cheap in the slab.

oldmilwaukee said:
I used Wirsbo in the concrete, and Mr. Pex on the upper floors.
Don't go cheap in the slab.

Just curious, what was the difference in price if I may ask?

Price difference was something like 20 or 30 cents per foot (corrected for inflation and difference in pipe size!) but my memory is foggy and the slab tubing was bought 18 months before the rest of the tubing. Go to pexsupply and you can see the price of both brands, that's where I bought them. I have about 1000 feet in the slab and 3000 feet in the floors above that. 3000 feet x .20 = $600, so I went for the cheaper stuff up top.

I used ThermaPex in my underground lines. It too is a swedish pex, like Wirsboro....... I think Wirsboro is just totally inflated...

Status
Not open for further replies.