What is this disgusting grub? Should I use this wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

newatthis

Aug 28, 2014
Charlottesville, VA
This wood has been lying around, waiting to get split. Just now splitting it, I see these grubs? What are they? Should I use the wood?

It is clear that the grub has eaten its nest in the wood. I don't want to bring split logs with these grubs into the house to eat the house.

IMG_1573.jpg
IMG_1573.jpg
IMG_1573.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1572.jpg
    IMG_1572.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
As far as I know, everything that lives in wood (except spiders who like crevices etc) leaves or dies off when it dries. Can't see any pics, but I'm sure the wood will be fine when it's dry.

Reactions: saydinli
This wood has been lying around, waiting to get split. Just now splitting it, I see these grubs? What are they? Should I use the wood? (looks like the pics need to be approved first...)

Harvest the grubs before burning the wood, you don't want to waste the tasty little morsels! Try them fried in a little butter/fresh garlic, mmmmm!

Reactions: pernox
http://bugguide.net/node/view/15821

That is a stag beetle larva grub. They result in the large black beetle shown in the center of the above page. They are quite resistant to eradication by resident felines as we found out when one of the cats came stumbling down the hall waving her leg around with stag beetle firmly attached to her paw pad. It took the implementation of tweezers to pry the really hard and strong mandibles open. After imprisonment in a jar, the beetle apparently died of a heart attack a little bit later despite not suffering any damage, while the cat was sufficiently "offended" that we had "allowed" such a formidable creature into the house to thwart her standard insect remediation efforts which consist of batting them with her paw until they have a stroke. I imagine your cat would be equally unsuccessful and aggravated about an encounter.

I see them in rounds occasionally, especially pine, and either dump them on the ground for the birds to enjoy or pop them depending on how aggravating the wood splitting is going. Otherwise, as someone mentioned, they make a delightful popping noise when reaching a certain temperature in the stove. I'm sure they would make a fantastic panfish or trout bait as well since they resemble the mealworms sold in tackle stores but larger.

Hilariously enough, they are protected in Europe because evidently those folks like ugly, armored bugs over there.

http://maria.fremlin.de/stagbeetles/lindex.html

Reactions: Hasufel
Harvest the grubs before burning the wood, you don't want to waste the tasty little morsels! Try them fried in a little butter/fresh garlic, mmmmm!
Eeeww ;sick

Great Bass Bait!

They fall/ crawl out and die, or die in the stove.
Either way their future is bleak. I don't think the
lil' boogers are going to infest anything while looking
for a new condo. Likely to dehydrate while
trying to relocate.

Edit: I see and burn these lil' guys somewhat often.

Last edited:
Is it from an Ash tree? I went to an Asian Ash bore seminar today and I have to tell you it looks just like the samples. If it has no legs and I think 7 segments it an ash bore.

Also look for "D" shape holes.

I wouldn't have much firewood if I were to avoid grubs like that!

They look like lunch for my chickens
Burn the wood even with the bugs it is still fire wood

Absolutely use it, if it's seasoned no worries. If it's not seasoned, I believe seasoning will take care of a bunch of them, hard to stay moist in dry wood.

I find those all the time in almost all the wood I get. They eat a bit of the wood but all are gone by the time the wood has dried for a year, usually only a bit of sawdust remains. Sometimes I give them to the kids to play with. :) Haven't tried eating them. Maybe the smaller ones.