What is your favorite wood gathering tool?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Is that an old Jeep? If so, not a better fit when out in the woods.

Good eye! It's a great rig for around town and offroad...but kind of scary above 50 mph. It's basically like driving a fast tractor. It was my dad's truck and he was big on keeping it stock, as am I.

Good eye! It's a great rig for around town and offroad...but kind of scary above 50 mph. It's basically like driving a fast tractor. It was my dad's truck and he was big on keeping it stock, as am I.
That would be scary. I've driven a 304 CJ-5 with no windshield at 50 MPH and that is not something I would ever do again.

You guys have a lot more fun toys than I do.

Mine is just a Stihl cant hook. Folks on here said it's made by LogRite. Someone else mentioned the stand that fits on the end.

Bought the stand from LogRite, and l like it a lot. Nice not bending down fully to the ground since I am in my 60s.

My power tail lift on my pickup. At 74, if I did not have this, I would not still be getting wood.

100_1797.JPG

Cool Lift on Truck. I gave up Wood for Pellets becasue of my Injury few years ago (Stumpled on Rounds and Tore Rotater Cuff and Muscle). Alas still do about 2 Cords every year from the Trees that go Crash Boom Bang in the Forest.

Reactions: neverbilly
Used the Gator the last 4 years. Hauled about 16 cords in that time.

Attachments

• 0113191612.jpg
    0113191612.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 159
Cant hook was my best tool this year.

Any recommendations on a decent cant hook? I have many large diam logs.

Reactions: Diabel
They looks excellent. I will order the red 5 footer!
Thank you @Simonkenton .

I'm by myself a lot, and my wheel barrow lets me load much bigger cuts than I could do without it. I cut 20" pieces, for larger diameter ones I'll lay my wheel barrow on it's side next to the log, roll it onto the side of the wheel barrow, then leverage it up onto the wheel and stands. Roll it to my tail gate, then lift it up on.

Reactions: Nealm66
I don't know if this will be my favorite, but for $50 and a little work we'll see. Details: Black Friday hand truck from Harbor Freight, and two 24" stakes (with holes) from Lowes. I can bolt into 3 holes in each stake (holes need to be widened, though).
DSCF0159.JPG

DSCF0160.JPG