What is your highest air temp output?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lance1

Nov 12, 2008
I realize allot of people pretty much run their stoves 24 hours a day. Personally, I wake up to a cold (50-55°) house and heat it up, generally this takes 45 minutes to hit 70-75°.

What is your air temp measured one inch from the supply port and what setting is it on? (example below)

Mine is 310° on "C" setting and have one higher setting (manufacture of my stove recommends not to run on the highest setting)

(This is not for bragging rights, I'm trying to compare performance. I'm trying things to increase efficiency.)

Lance, this measurement means absolutely nothing. It is not a good way to compare efficiency.

Reason being that the air output temperature is affected by many criteria:
1. The power of the fan
2. The exact path of the air through the stove
3. The electronics
4. The input air - or how warm or cold the room is at the time
5. etc.

Taken together, these would make that measurement inaccurate for determining anything.

It gives me a general data input, I have no clue what stoves should be putting out. Basically are other stoves putting out more or less and by how much, on the highest setting and demand. A BTU rating on the stove would be helpful. I'm not looking for an efficiency analysis, just one data point.

It's impossible to get information like your suggesting from a forum, a simple temp reading people may do.

I understand what you are getting at - and if you are asking it "for fun", that is Ok.

But it is not even closely related to anything else like efficiency. In fact, it might mean the opposite!

Example - a home heating furnace which raises the air temperature HIGHER than another one.....in one pass through the furnace, is usually set up wrong. That means less efficiency.

If air is coming out very hot, that often means the internal parts of your stove are not being cooled enough...meaning more heat going up the stack, etc.

Another example is this - it is very possible for one stove to put out double the amount of air that another does. If stove A puts out 200CFM (delivered) at a 100 degree temperature rise (165 degrees) and stove B puts out 100CFM at 220 degrees....well, stove A with the lower air temp is heating more!

Again, I have no problem with you asking for and receiving the data - there have been lots of threads here discussing output temp. My only concern is that folks don't get misled by comparison of different stoves, settings, etc.

The magnetic thermometer on the air outlet of my heat exchanger reads 240°F. Kozi KSH-120 on heat 3 (of 5).

I never said I was doing a efficiently survey. I wanted the data points for my own analysis.

The hotter the air output, more heat going to the room quicker, which is more efficient, thus less heat up the stack. Air molecules need time to heat passing though the heat exchanger, higher CFM's reduces this thermal transfer. (think about quickly moving a finger though a flame, verses slowly) Air thermal transfer is fairly slow, the reason the farther away from the heat source, the colder the air is.

A flame is generally 2552°F, anything less than this going into the room quickly is wasted heat. Blue flame heaters are about 99% efficient, because they are ventless. One has to remember the firebox is constantly being pumped out of exhaust and heat. The larger amount of heat in a shorter period of time means less heat is exhausted.

Thank you Weeds, good data point.

I have spent far too many of hours checking temperature on my pellet stove with different settings and different pellets in trying to find out how to get best stove settings for the most heat with the least amount of fuel and ash with inconclusive results. I found there are too many variables in the feed rate of pellets to determine heat output by putting the stove on a fixed settings and merely changing from one brand to the next and measuring the temperature. The diameter and length of pellets affect the feed rate, smaller, shorter pellets feed faster on my 25PDVC Englander. Heat per pound of pellets measured over time is the only objective way to compare pellet output.

Status
Not open for further replies.