What is your procedure for outside storage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bill-e

Nov 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I don't have anywhere to store my pellets and if it snows before my delivery on 12/6 they are going to be in my driveway, a good hike from my stove.

How do you protect the pellets. Are there special made/fit tarps/covers or do you just use the cheap blue ones and rope?

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
I once stored two tons outside. I put a couple of pallets on the ground and then had the guy delivering them place the new ones on top to allow airflow underneath. Left the pellets covered in the two plastic layers they came wrapped in and covered good with blue tarps and tape. Cleared snow off the top and around them after a snow fall. They lasted me two years outside, none were wet.

Reactions: Augmister
How do you protest the pellets
protest well I say"gosh darn ...another S.O.B. bag"!!! actually they are pretty good the way they arrive. box stores around me store outside.

Reactions: firebroad
I don't have anywhere to store my pellets and if it snows before my delivery on 12/6 they are going to be in my driveway, a good hike from my stove.

How do you protect the pellets. Are there special made/fit tarps/covers or do you just use the cheap blew ones and rope?

Thanks
Bill

I have my pellets delivered and the pallets are put in front of my garage and have been out they all last year..and now am using them and they were fine.
I didn't use anything on them other than the included bag/shrinkwrapped cover ..no tarp or anything. They burn as well as they did when I got them.
I did have a branch break off of a tree and stab one bag open .. Half of that bag was ruined.

Last edited:
Once you break the 2 layer factory wrap, ya better get 'em under cover ...............

I just pull the bag off and put it back down over the remaining stack after i take what i need if i find any holes in the factory bag i will fix with duct tape. May lose a bag or two a year no big deal.

What I found is that moisture is only an issue in the spring if the shrink wrap has been opened.

Fixed that this year with the new pellet palace:) It holds two pallets of Heartlands comfortably. Hubby was too busy all summer so I started on my own in October - He was finally around long enough to help get the roof on "just" before the snow really hit.

Attachments

• Fall 2013 014.JPG
    Fall 2013 014.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 226
  • Fall 2013 015.JPG
    Fall 2013 015.JPG
    208.5 KB · Views: 234
Reactions: Margo
Lake Girl, Just what I need.....to get in trouble with my wife. She has been bugging me for another shed for her gardening stuff....If I make one for the pellets first I'll catch hell ;)

Before I put in my 12x32"shed" I had a 8x7 Rubbermaid plastic shed. Worked great and held 2 tons with some room for a few garden tools

Lake Girl, Just what I need.....to get in trouble with my wife. She has been bugging me for another shed for her gardening stuff....If I make one for the pellets first I'll catch hell ;)

Have to live with the choices we make :) I'd be looking at some kind of compromise with some room for each...

I would not store my pellets outside, no way. Box stores loose a lot of pellets every year because of that.

I store mine outside, under a covered porch., I haven't ever had any problem with the bags getting wet.

Dave

Reactions: Augmister
While likely no help to you for this year, we ended up putting in a ceiling under a 2nd story deck made of corrugated fiberglass, and having that drain into two rain gutters that in turn tie into a downspout system. We then enclosed the underside of the deck and painted it match the house. I have 3 tons stored there, and could probably do 4 -5 easily. It also gave me room to store outdoor tools and the lawn tractor, freeing up room in my landscape shed. Areas under decks can be protected from the elements easily and offer an often overlooked area for storage of pellets.

Reactions: Jaymaine34
Retailer where we get our pellets from stores them outside. Have never had a problem with them. They sit just the factory ships them, no tarps or anything covering them...

bill-e, Caught the pic and lay-out of your house on another thread - beautiful old house. Wondering if there is storage in the front porch once the pallet is opened - and just during burning season;) Tarps would add extra protection for the ones outside.

bill-e, Caught the pic and lay-out of your house on another thread - beautiful old house. Wondering if there is storage in the front porch once the pallet is opened - and just during burning season;) Tarps would add extra protection for the ones outside.
Lake Girl, yes, and now that is my plan, to move them in there as I open the pallet.

Just not directly on the ground. Keep them on the pallet.

I once stored two tons outside. I put a couple of pallets on the ground and then had the guy delivering them place the new ones on top to allow airflow underneath. Left the pellets covered in the two plastic layers they came wrapped in and covered good with blue tarps and tape. Cleared snow off the top and around them after a snow fall. They lasted me two years outside, none were wet.

Exactly what I did before we built our "Pellet Mahal". On pallets, leave on the manufacturers covers and cover with a tarp and strap or bunggies. I went a couple of years that way. If you can, make sure you don't have any ripped bags on the pallet(s). You'll be fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.