What kind of knife or saw do you use ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Minister of Fire
I am just curious, while wood cutting, trimming, and de-limbing in the woods or around the house, what do you use besides a gas powered saw ?

You know what I mean, what do you remove the small "pencil sized" limbs with that sometimes get left on the bigger logs before you split.

Example: knife, machete, hand ax, hand saw, bow saw etc.

Or.........do you even have anything to cut with besides the saw ?

Robbie

For tree trims around the yard/house with small stuff 2" and under i use a Bypass Lopper .

As for fire wood and getting the little branches off , everything comes off with the chainsaw when limbing the tree.

We have a joke in my family about logs cut into firewood that still has a small limb on them , we call them "Don Wood" (brothers name ) and its fire wood with an easy to carry handle on them as he always forgets to cut off the small limbs .

The chainsaw is king. However I keep a sharp axe and a sharp broad hatchet for trimming. Some trees have large amounts of brushy suckers that are annoying.

ATB,
Mike P

When cutting whole trees all the limbs come off with the chainsaw. The stuff from 3 inches down to an inch goes into 6-8 ft lengths, they then go into a pile behind the shed, I cut them by hand with a big bow saw that i got at a barn sale. The blade that is on this is about an 1 1/2 in height, by luck I found a guy who sharpened it and boy does it sing...absolutely no comparison to any blade purchased in a hardware store today...

When taking a tree down, the chain saw pretty much does it all. If I'm just pruning it's either a bypass loper for the small stuff or a bow saw that I have had for years and works like a dream. And when the damn hedge gets out of control (once a year), it's a trip to cheapo depot to rent the big gas hedge trimmer.

I use a machete for a lot of cutting, plus that what carry in the woods when hiking.

Cheap saw, cheap machete. Both kept sharp.

For fine pruning I use Felco #2s and#7s hand snips and a Fanno 13" curved hand saw which injure more guys at work than chain saws. Anything over 2" I use a chain saw.

For those really small pencil sized suckers on the trunk of a living tree near to ground I twist them off by hand or use the method described below. If I cut them off cleanly they just grow back.

For small suckers or small limbs on wood I'm splitting I grab a 18 inch long by 3 inch round cut; small piece of a branch. Then as if it were a machete I hit the limb from the top down . They usually snap, brake off clean off. When that doesn't work I use an ax, saw, machete, ect. what ever is out at the time. This method works great when free cut wood is found along side the road with small branches attached and no wood saws in the van.

Status
Not open for further replies.