What kind of Maple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cptoneleg

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2010
Virginia
I have lots of Maple around my place just not sure what kind ; the splits are about 1 month old

Attachments

• SDC10219.jpg
    SDC10219.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 364
Some live ones

Attachments

• SDC10220.jpg
    SDC10220.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 361
  • SDC10221.jpg
    SDC10221.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 355
Looks like silver maple to me.

fireview2788 said:
Looks like silver maple to me.

+1 but people from that area always call the soft maples red.

So silver or soft maple, not much better than popular? Hoping it was Sugar some folks call it that around here. Its gonna get burned thats for sure.

Thanks

cptoneleg said:
So silver or soft maple, not much better than popular? Hoping it was Sugar some folks call it that around here. Its gonna get burned thats for sure.

Thanks

That would be soft maple, much better than poplar! Jay with that shaggy of bark pretty sure it's Red, Silver usually has smoother bark. Around these parts Red is alot more common than Silver, not sure about down there in In. or Oh.

nrford said:
cptoneleg said:

Thanks

That would be soft maple, much better than poplar! Jay with that shaggy of bark pretty sure it's Red, Silver usually has smoother bark. Around these parts Red is alot more common than Silver, not sure about down there in In. or Oh.

lol Thats what I am learning...Around here a silver can be pretty shaggy if it gets lots of water.

I may be wrong here, but if the leaves were red, its red maple...if they were silverish, its silver maple. The red leaves are very dark, and a very traditional maple leaf shape (think canadian flag), the silver maple is what we called a threadleaf maple...definitely a maple tree, but the leaves were almost fancy looking...very frilly.

Had both in my mom's yard...the silver maples looked like that bark, the red maples were very smooth bark...to be fair, the silver maples were probably 40-50 years older, about 24-30" in diameter at chest height., red maple was about 15" or so. I'm going there this weekend, I'll try to remember to get some photos.

Attachments

• silver_maple_leaf.jpg
    silver_maple_leaf.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 296
  • Red-Maple-Leaf.jpg
    Red-Maple-Leaf.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 309
Well I read where there are like 114 different maples maybe that why this subject is cofusing, and I have also read on here about the slick bark these have both on same tree.

The ones that are slick range in size from small like these to 8 to 10 inches. I am just curios what I have, or at least narrow it down thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• SDC10223.jpg
    SDC10223.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 293
mayhem said:
I may be wrong here, but if the leaves were red, its red maple...

No offense but yes, you are wrong. Red maples do not have Red leaves (except in fall), otherwise they are green.

This from the WWW: The upper side of A. rubrum's (Red Maple) leaf is light green and the underside is whitish and can be either glaucous or hairy. The leaf stalks are usually red and are up to 10 cm (4 inches) long. Furthermore, the leaves turn a brilliant red in autumn.

Norway & King Crimsom maples have dark reddish leaves which appear to be what is in the picture you posted on the right.

that red leaved pic looks like red-leaved Norway maple cultivar.

there is a maple that is often called " red maple" here by some - the leaves turn red in the Fall and even have some red veining- but they look more like the green maple leaf shown.

Looks like in a couple of weeks I need to post pictures of the leaves.

smokinjay said:
lol Thats what I am learning...Around here a silver can be pretty shaggy if it gets lots of water.

Here too...Not many that are under 14" diameter that I see.Large to massive trees in older neighborhoods,pastures & farm fields.

cptoneleg said:

Thanks

There is no comparison between soft maple and popple! The maple is much, much better wood. Also, this maple makes excellent kindling wood. It also dries fast so you can cut in late winter or spring and it will be ready to burn the following fall.

mayhem said:
I may be wrong here, but if the leaves were red, its red maple...if they were silverish, its silver maple. The red leaves are very dark, and a very traditional maple leaf shape (think canadian flag), the silver maple is what we called a threadleaf maple...definitely a maple tree, but the leaves were almost fancy looking...very frilly.

Had both in my mom's yard...the silver maples looked like that bark, the red maples were very smooth bark...to be fair, the silver maples were probably 40-50 years older, about 24-30" in diameter at chest height., red maple was about 15" or so. I'm going there this weekend, I'll try to remember to get some photos.

Mayhem, you posted pics of Silver Maple and a cultivar of Norway Maple, perhaps the cultivar called 'Crimson King' or maybe there are other, similar cultivars. I see the red Norways only where they were planted - yards, streets, parks, etc., not growing wild. I think if the red ones spread seedlings the seedlings tend to look just like normal Norway Maples, but I am not sure. Red Maple turns bright red or orange in the fall, as do some Sugar Maples, but Red has leaves that have three main lobes and very many small teeth (serrations) on the edges. Sugar and Norway Maple are five-lobed just like the Canadian Flag (which is Sugar Maple, not Norway)

Captain, I think the pics you posted show Silver Maple. The bark looks right, and the trees appear to be in a bottomland or floodplain type of area, exactly where Silver Maple grows best. Red Maple can have very similar bark to Silver Maple, so I could be wrong.

As others have said . . . red maple (at least here in Maine) does not have red leafs year-round . . . it may go red in the Fall . . . but the leafs are green in the Spring, Summer and Early Fall.

mayhem said:

The red leaf in your pic is not a 'red maple' leaf- though it is a red leaf from a maple ☺
A maple with red leaves in the summer is likely a variety of Japanese maple, or of Norway maple (They have cultivar names like 'crimson King'). Yours is some kind of Norway I think.

Red maple does not have red leaves- except in the fall. Their bark is smooth, then plate-like when larger.

Real silver maples have shaggy bark when big. The leaves are as pictured- fairly thin and defined.

There are a lot of local names and misnomers for trees, but there are real names as used by botanists etc. If my neighbors decided that a Norway maple was a 'red, or that pine tree should be called a sycamore- it doesn't make it right.

After all that- it looks like a few others said the same. I should read a thread before spouting my amateur opinion.

Learn something new every day, right? All my life I've been calling that tree a red maple...used to be a counting base for hide and seek because its in the corner of the yard.

The red leaf in your pic is not a 'red maple' leaf- though it is a red leaf from a maple ☺

Had a bit of a chuckle when I read that line. Reminds me of an old episode of Taxi when they were camped out in the woods.
"Is that a blueberry or a blue berry?

Sorry for the interruption, now back to the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.